Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kreigon

Black Desert worth playing?

The carebear in me got me into cooking, and now i have like, 3 slave labor camps or something, producing almost everything i need to make scented tea. I'm also enjoying the trade route system they have, its a fun little distraction.

Pve is kind of awkward. 95% of the time all i have to do is faceroll the keyboard, but that takes more effort than holding down "W" and holding down left-click until everything in front of me is said. The inadvertent result of this is i have no idea how to play my class because i can kill things several levels higher than me with almost no idea what im doing (level 22 valkyrie).

Haven't had a chance to pvp yet but i'm eager. Taking my time going through the main stuff as i heard its bad to rush to max because you miss out on things like contribution points and inventory expansions. 

Biggest complaint right now is that my gear looks the same at 22 as it did at 1..

The gear progression is horizontal, you can have the bis gear at level 1 if you wanted to

It's pretty fun, but the PvP leaves a lot to be desired. The rubberbanding lag issue will strip any sort of fun from the otherwise fantastic combat system. Personally, playing a berserker, who relies mostly on grabs for damage, I'd find myself grabbing an enemy player and then having them rubberband out of my hands while I'm stuck in the animation. This happened about 90% of the time I would grab somebody, no exaggeration. It's unacceptable. You'll also find yourself frustrated being one shotted by people who outgear you since they grinded a lot more than you and got lucky on the RNG enchanting system to make their gear more powerful. That and the publishers don't really seem in touch with the community. We go days without hearing a single thing from any of the community managers, and when they do speak, they don't address any of the concerns posted about constantly on the forums. The cash shop has slight P2W elements such as the ghillie suit that hides your nameplate in PvP, an obvious advantage that can't be gained anywhere other than the cash shop, and a league of fanboys to defend those P2W elements to death.

Overall it's fantastic if you are focused on the PvE elements. The mob grinding is surprisingly really fun, the crafting is interesting, the trading, farming, and all that are great. Looking at it as a PvP game or a game to take seriously for the long haul? Look elsewhere.

Edited by Jon

It's pretty fun, but the PvP leaves a lot to be desired. The rubberbanding lag issue will strip any sort of fun from the otherwise fantastic combat system. Personally, playing a berserker, who relies mostly on grabs for damage, I'd find myself grabbing an enemy player and then having them rubberband out of my hands while I'm stuck in the animation. This happened about 90% of the time I would grab somebody, no exaggeration. It's unacceptable. You'll also find yourself frustrated being one shotted by people who outgear you since they grinded a lot more than you and got lucky on the RNG enchanting system to make their gear more powerful. That and the publishers don't really seem in touch with the community. We go days without hearing a single thing from any of the community managers, and when they do speak, they don't address any of the concerns posted about constantly on the forums. The cash shop has slight P2W elements such as the ghillie suit that hides your nameplate in PvP, an obvious advantage that can't be gained anywhere other than the cash shop, and a league of fanboys to defend those P2W elements to death.

Overall it's fantastic if you are focused on the PvE elements. The mob grinding is surprisingly really fun, the crafting is interesting, the trading, farming, and all that are great. Looking at it as a PvP game or a game to take seriously for the long haul? Look elsewhere.

Everything i've heard is that this game is hailed as high quality guild vs guild pvp and open world region battles for nodes and other things, as opposed to BnS which is more like a wannabe 1v1 and small team e-sport. 

I haven't had time to find a guild i wanted to get into but im much more interested in that larger guild sized battle aspect of the game. Has anyone had any experience in that who can chime in?

aka honeybear

Everything i've heard is that this game is hailed as high quality guild vs guild pvp and open world region battles for nodes and other things, as opposed to BnS which is more like a wannabe 1v1 and small team e-sport. 

I haven't had time to find a guild i wanted to get into but im much more interested in that larger guild sized battle aspect of the game. Has anyone had any experience in that who can chime in?

Yes, everything I've said in my post still holds true. It's fun because you're fighting another group of players with your guild and that's always rewarding no matter what game you're playing, but the rubber-banding issues kill any of the fun for me. I recommend playing a class that spams a lot of easy to aim AoE so the lag will affect you less. A ranger or a wizard is probably the best pick for group PvP. If I had rolled a wizard I would probably still be playing the game. Having 90% of your grabs fail due to lag and rubber-banding issues is disheartening, to say the least.

I've been GvGing every day for a week now. The GvG has been a lot of fun, but the ghillies suits make it a little confusing. Another thing is I and many in my guild did not play korean/russian/japanese BDO much so we aren't too up on how the custard to play. Figuring it out though.

Jon, I have not had your desync issues at all. What's your location and which server you playing on? I do agree that it is not ideal as a long-term pvp game, but a few months of GvG? I'll be doing that.

Edited by Sciocco

gCWxS8u.jpg

The carebear in me got me into cooking, and now i have like, 3 slave labor camps or something, producing almost everything i need to make scented tea. I'm also enjoying the trade route system they have, its a fun little distraction.

Pve is kind of awkward. 95% of the time all i have to do is faceroll the keyboard, but that takes more effort than holding down "W" and holding down left-click until everything in front of me is dead. The inadvertent result of this is i have no idea how to play my class because i can kill things several levels higher than me with almost no idea what im doing (level 22 valkyrie).

Haven't had a chance to pvp yet but i'm eager. Taking my time going through the main stuff as i heard its bad to rush to max because you miss out on things like contribution points and inventory expansions.

Biggest complaint right now is that my gear looks the same at 22 as it did at 1..

I feel like the combat is unnecessarily button mashy myself. I love the attack combinations, but it does tire the hands and have an inordinate amount of similar actions. And then there's the infamous visual overload that makes picking out tell signs almost impossible in many cases.

The combat for warrior feels like DMC, except better, except it would be much better on a controller, it's nice to have deeply nuanced actions, but I think the combat could be better for PC if they focused on more deliberate actions with more readability.

I'm super impressed with the depth though, everything feels like it's set at 10. For early content, it's pretty amazing, though the very start is so disorienting that it is hard to get comfortable. Some of the problems I've encountered are probably due to launch crowding though.

I'll probably buy this game later when my library isn't so back logged, whether it pans out or not, the amount of new technology and features it brings to MMOs are good proof of concept for future endeavors.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I've been GvGing every day for a week now. The GvG has been a lot of fun, but the ghillies suits make it a little confusing. Another thing is I and many in my guild did not play korean/russian/japanese BDO much so we aren't too up on how the custard to play. Figuring it out though.

Jon, I have not had your desync issues at all. What's your location and which server you playing on? I do agree that it is not ideal as a long-term pvp game, but a few months of GvG? I'll be doing that.

I'm playing from Philly, I ping 100 to San Jose.

Are you playing a class that utilizes grabs? I don't have any issues unless I'm using grabs, which berserker relies on for damage and CC.

I want to get to 50+ to PvP but its so slow and grindy.. and once I hit 50 the grinding doesnt stop... thats why I left ESO... PvE grinding to PvP... bleh. I keep wasting money on MMOs

MOkvLlm.png

The action feels rich enough to enjoy hacking and slashing stuff, but I think the combat would be more entertaining if it was more tactical and less thrashing. I can't speak to high level grinding, but with the Warrior, I get a kick out of trying to deploy all the different attacks at the best times. It would be even better if the action wasn't so choppy though, that's one of the pitfalls of trying to run a very fast paced button masher on the internet, I don't even know how ppl get by playing fighting games online, tight controls like that need to be accurate.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm playing from Philly, I ping 100 to San Jose.

Are you playing a class that utilizes grabs? I don't have any issues unless I'm using grabs, which berserker relies on for damage and CC.

I'm actually playing from just outside NE Philly, in Levittown. I'm maining wizard and having no issues. My friend up in the PA mountains, Lebanon valley, is maining zerker with no issues. I know someone else though from somewhere in the city and his ping and game lag quite a bit, but WTFast helped.

gCWxS8u.jpg

I'm actually playing from just outside NE Philly, in Levittown. I'm maining wizard and having no issues. My friend up in the PA mountains, Lebanon valley, is maining zerker with no issues. I know someone else though from somewhere in the city and his ping and game lag quite a bit, but WTFast helped.

Really? Your zerker friend isn't having any desync issues with grabs? Nothing like this?

This game is really fun

What server should I play on

Which ever is least populated.

Least being relative, as they're all overpopulated.

And you will notice it. God Jesus, with everyone dragging wagons and horses around, trying to find the bank npc is like a god damn Where's Waldo minigame.

aka honeybear

The gear progression is horizontal, you can have the bis gear at level 1 if you wanted to

I don't think that is what horizontal means. Horizontal progression means that all gear is somewhat viable throuth out the whole game. Look at ships in EVE tier 1 frigates are stiel used in PvP. Yes thoose ships are weaker but they can hold their own and are so much cheaper so they have value. In BD unless you burry hundrets of thoose enchanting stones into leveleling your gear you are useless that is very vertical.

Not innovative enough imo... I grow tired of the hamster wheel.

I have to ask for mi curiosity. What you mean by hamster wheel?

Black desert is a game you gonna love or absolutly hate probably.

Edited by RevanM