Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plasmafogking

What kind of PVE would people want

About some PVE content  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What type of PVE content should Crowfall have during launch or shortly after?

• As it is, some mobs who gets stronger over time
    • Some campaigns with more PVE focused objectives
    • Allow players to make raids in their own Eternal Kingdoms

As I stated in another thread, they just need to take the bottom half of pvpers skillwise, and rename them all to generic NPC names and not let them chat in game at all and that can be our pve vs emergent AI. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

As I stated in another thread, they just need to take the bottom half of pvpers skillwise, and rename them all to generic NPC names and not let them chat in game at all and that can be our pve vs emergent AI. 

Lolz...  Pretty much.  The Challenge of PvE for me was always keeping myself from masterbating while fighting like the expert swordsman who fights two foes with an arm tied behind his back.  Better worry that the Mob might actually learn to change tactics after the 50th time you pwned it, not likely.  

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Lolz...  Pretty much.  The Challenge of PvE for me was always keeping myself from masterbating while fighting like the expert swordsman who fights two foes with an arm tied behind his back.  Better worry that the Mob might actually learn to change tactics after the 50th time you pwned it, not likely.  

I once went to a car show in leavenworth and saw a lamborghini countache and a ferrari testarossa, this was a very big deal to me as a young lad.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Can we be any more reactionary and arbitrary? lol

The OP poll is severely incomplete and let me say I do not believe any Campaign should be PVE focused. The original poll does not suggest this either. It simply says "more PVE focused" which of course does not equal "PVE focused."

1. We all know that PVE will and should be a means of gathering materials, in fact it should be integral. Did anyone here ever play on an EQ PVP server? Some of the best fights I've ever been in happened fighting over valuable spawns for loot. PVE done properly creates contested points within the campaign world. We don't necessarily need intricately designed dungeons but can anyone tell me why protecting a harvester is any more enjoyable than protecting a spawn location of valuable mobs?

2. This game should have a wide variety of resources/materials from common to extremely rare. Have you ever seen a scenario in which something other than the castle of the enemy was a more valuable target to destroy? Imagine 5 years from now and a few expansions in to the game. The number of sovereignty based structures available for players to build is both deep and wide. Let's say a few of those structures are crafted blueprints from expert crafters and allow access to spawning pools/caves/ruins. These elite level spawns allow that guild or alliance access to the most valuable materials to build the most powerful equipment in the game. Your scouts report these structures are up and it becomes number one priority for your alliance to take them out. These are PVE structures yet potentially could be more important to destroy than any other structure in your enemies domain. It's PVE based, is it still garbage?

3. I touched on a "deep and wide" variety of player built structures above. The reason why this is important is because repeatedly attacking and defending the same keeps and castles over and over again becomes very boring very quickly. Building a capable empire within a Campaign World should require some thought and planning. What do we need? Which core structures should we build? Do we own the territory necessary to build these structures? Which structures will we need to defend our core empire? Logistically how do we accomplish this task? I see no reason why player built spawn pools/caves/ruins cannot also fit in to that formula as a purely farming based tool from easy to advanced difficulty depending on materials accessible. I know a competitor to Crowfall is planning on having a very large underground dungeon precisely for the purpose of gathering and player conflict. Sounds pretty damn cool to me.

TLDR: An empire based throne war PVP game with a player driven economy requires lots of resources and materials to fight over. Leather, sharp teeth, gut, liver, brain juice, infected toenails and other ingredients do not grow on tree's or spawn on rocks!

I appreciate the spirit of the intent for the thread, but my perception is:  It's not targeted at all properly for Crowfall.  Or is at least deficient.

It's my perception that the term "PvE" is a form of charged-language for a great many MMO gamers.  When it's said, every member of the receiving audience, individually, applies their picture/perception of what "PvE" is based on their experience.  This isn't a knock, it's just human nature.

The Problem:  "PvE" in a game that supports either primarily or in some measure a traditional "PvE" progression and gaming path are used to seeing entire quest chains, challenges, etc., all linked to progression and rewards.  Be it leveling,  acquisition of loot and goods, etc.

This isn't the model CF is going to follow.

As a result there is generated all sorts of immediate, and sometimes "passionate" denial in the CF forums regarding "PvE" having any part in CF.  That it's a PvP centric game, we don't need none of that PvE drek in our PvP game.

In my view that's both a "right" and "wrong" answer:  Its correct in that the manner in which "PvE" is deployed in the game can't act like it does in a traditional MMO, it's wrong in that the virtual world we will be playing in is supposed to be more open-world (large world environment) and less boxed-in binary Arena.  This means "PvE" is going to end up playing a key  bio-rhythm role within the CF community IMO.

My view:  "PvE" (the envnironment) is a very important piece of what Crowfall hopes to be.  We want "PvE" to be well thought out, very interesting, engaging, diverse.

But NOT in any traditional sense.  Not for progression, or loot gear rewards, or boosting skill path gains, etc.  No Raiding dungeons to farm the boss, etc.

Rather, I see it as the warp and weft of interest and various motivations to engage in time-sinking in the CWs.  ACE already understands this, because at it's most basic level is the thing we are all aware of:  You want necessary goods and materials?  Find it in a CW.

There are all sorts of creative ways to create "PvE Content" . . . that does not operate like a traditional PvE MMO's model of PvE . . . that instead DOES SUPPORT THE CROWFALL strategy, and provide various motivations to time-sink in a CW.

Maybe I'm not articulating anything new here.  I guess my intent was to throw out a caution regarding blanket statements about PvE content, without specific qualifiers that help people understand the context of the term in question.

Because the kind of robust PvE (or just environment-incentives perhaps) content pertinent to CF isn't present in your list of options.

I can't find the post now, but I submitted a suggestion once regarding having "Archeaology Digs" in a CW.  The short version  is the premise you might find a rare location that needs to be dug up, like ancient ruins or tombs.  Depending on the "level" of ruins it might be a relatively simple dig, or more elaborate with spawn-guardians at stages requiring killing to progress.

In the end, uncovering the Ruins unearths Resources of some form that have to be packed up and transported.  And all this is happening on the CW map where PvP lives.

In essence, it's a creative re-skin to the idea of resource gathering.  That keeps it operating within the bounds of supporting the CF vision while broadening the interest outlet for reasons to go to the CW to "do stuff".

It is NOT traditional PvE content from games tailored to provide PvE progression and looting. 

So, I guess my answer to you directly is:  What kind of PvE content do I want?  Lots of interesting "PvE" that provides a variety of motivations for objectives in a CW, started at the most basic level with go to a CW for mats if you want to craft or buy/sell.

If I'm in a CW, regardless of why I'm there . . . then PvP will take care of itself and happen.

Heh-heh:  Necro alert I suppose. /sigh

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

A bump adds nothing to what I said.

On 29/2/2016 at 4:19 PM, RikForFun said:

I'm sorry OP and others baked the wrong game.

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano