Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vagantem2nd

ALCON,

It always sucks to receive login errors and it always happens on very popular games usually around release.  Now as a disclaimer I don't know about login servers or their back end. So that out of the way; what if the login server came to the user instead of the user to the login server?

I am trying to avoid the log in server from being DOS'd.  My idea is that the client goes to log in, but instead of going to the log in server they go to a sort of manager or queue server.  The log in server then goes to the manager and finds out who is next.   Once it knows who is next it then goes to the client and conducts the log in.  I'd imagine the overhead for the manager would be lower than that of the log in server so easier to manager a greater number of clients.  This could be expanded to include multiple managers that the log in server goes to in sequence for load balancing.

This solution doesn't have to be permanent and could only be incorporated during peak stress times; specifically first week of launch.  So tell me what you guys think =)  I just ask for constructive feedback, but all feedback can be used some how imho.

Very Respectfully,

Vagantem

You've just moved your DOS point from the login server to the queue server.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Jihan,

Did I though? Can the manager servers handle the initial connections better then the login server? Can the load be spread across multiple managers?

Very Respectfully,

Vagantem

I don't see how you mitigate DOS attacks by putting another server in front of the login server. Even if you have multiple manager servers, they still have to funnel every request to the login server.

Unless those manager servers can filter the incoming requests and pass on only the "legitimate ones" to the login server. But other than denying multiple requests by the same IP in a specified time frame, I don't know how you would do that.

So I failed in explaining.  So let me try again:

1.) Launcher is launched

2.) Player attempts to log in

3.) Manager receives login request

a.) Method here perhaps of IP or some other client login request

4.) Manager drops connection

5.) Login server queries manager for any requests it might have

6.) Manager passes client request to login server

7.) Login server reaches out to client to authenticate

8.) Player is then passed to game server

Something along those lines; I am of mind due to my ignorance that some of those steps would have to be refined.  Though that is the jist of it.

Very Respectfully,

Vagantem

In that case, the manager server would still need to weed out the "bad" requests, otherwise the login server would get the same number of hits as if the manager server wasn't there. 

I would also think that the attacks could easily bog down the manager server. Sure, you can add a bunch of manager servers, but that won't stop people I don't think.

Edited by Arkade

Arkade,

My goal is not bad requests, but the following:

1.) Help login server manage load

2.) Reduce errors seen on client side when logging in

3.) Eliminate (or reduce) the need to hitting login over and over

So the login server is not getting the same number of hits.  The login server actually does not get hit at all.  Instead the log in server is reaching out to initiate the connections and not the clients.  Does that make more sense?

Very Respectfully,

Vagantem