Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First look: Ranger powers & UI - Official discussion thread

Lack of stealth is really, really disappointing. Hide-type powers are near worthless in pvp, ask any dark elf. Guess it will be Assassin for me...but realistically, stealthers are almost always melee so not really surprising.

Edited by triforcer

I think the name Autoshot for the second left-click primary is a bit out of place. Autoshot has another meaning in a lot of other mmo's out there and gives totally the wrong impression on this skill in Crowfall imo. I would suggest to change the name into Power Shot or something else.

we're also using the word iframe-power with a totally different meaning, so who cares at this point

Edited by freeze

Can we agree to change the C ability from iFrame Power to "signature power" or "character power".  iFrame should be an adjective for any power that removes you from physics not just the ability on your C key.  For example the champion Ultimate Warrior ability has iFrames.

Thank you for confirming a Siege damage type.

I also like the look of the ability bar for the ranger, I'm not artistic enough to describe how its different than the knight or champion icons but I like it.

Lack of stealth is really, really disappointing. Hide-type powers are near worthless in pvp, ask any dark elf. Guess it will be Assassin for me...but realistically, stealthers are almost always melee so not really surprising.

Stalker may have stealth yet, the ranger i see as a versatile character good at ranged good at melee, the stalker i see as high ranged damage, assassin as high melee damage, i think it would be too op to have a full blown stealth on the ranger and hide is brilliant you can jump behind some cover, pop hide and boom enemies are searching for you, flares on the ranger would be cool too to break characters from stealth

flares on the ranger would be cool too to break characters from stealth

I believe they've confirmed that the Stalker is being designed as the anti-stealth archetype.  A murdeer at the head of every caravan, I say.

As a Stealth addict, I am glad to hear that. I like Sneaking around.

I do understand why some people hate traditional MMO Stealth. I hope there are good counters and risk/reward dynamics so Stealth does not gain a cheesy reputation in Crowfall.

I agree, being able to actually move is kinda important for sneaking ;)

There is an entire general skill tree that involves hunting stealthers "tracking" you can do on any archtype so i dont know why people are complinning. Just their natural state i guess

MOkvLlm.png

Stalker may have stealth yet, the ranger i see as a versatile character good at ranged good at melee, the stalker i see as high ranged damage, assassin as high melee damage, i think it would be too op to have a full blown stealth on the ranger and hide is brilliant you can jump behind some cover, pop hide and boom enemies are searching for you, flares on the ranger would be cool too to break characters from stealth

All you need to do to break someone from stealth is hit them with some damage.  So I think it would be cool if the stalker just had the ability to see indications that someone was hidden or sneaking.  So a knight has no idea but a stalker could see the hidden person shadow at 50 skill or a shimmer at 100 and even the faded version of the person at 200 skill.  That way a stealth character needs to play in the shadows if they are around a character who has a chance to see them while its your standard MMO when picking on a blind knight.

Don't forget about Disciplines! Yes it would cost you a very valuable slot, but the option will be there.

Can we agree to change the C ability from iFrame Power to "signature power" or "character power".  iFrame should be an adjective for any power that removes you from physics not just the ability on your C key.  For example the champion Ultimate Warrior ability has iFrames.

Thank you for confirming a Siege damage type.

I also like the look of the ability bar for the ranger, I'm not artistic enough to describe how its different than the knight or champion icons but I like it.

Billy and Melissa are trying out a new art style for tray icons. I agree they look nice and our powers tray has a different look than every other MMO. (I think they are going to make the icons a tad bigger in the next pass)

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

I like everything but the Stealth part, I never liked stealth.. I think it's a dull mechanic, but we knew it was going to happen anyway.

Can't wait to try her.

Agreed.  All PvP games seem hell-bent on having stealth, but it's never implemented in a meaningful way.  Invisibility stealth mechanics are just so boring and not at all conducive to PvP: quite the opposite.

I was hopeful CF would try to break the mold here...alas.  Hopefully the duration and cooldown will be very short and very long, respectively, so people need at least an iota of tactic.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Billy and Melissa are trying out a new art style for tray icons. I agree they look nice and our powers tray has a different look than every other MMO. (I think they are going to make the icons a tad bigger in the next pass)

Am I also seeing a color code scheme here?  Single target/aoe/ground attack/utility, something to that effect?  Could be pretty neat if it's unified across all archetypes.

"We sorely have a need for a “runner killer” role in our playtests and the Hunger Dome, which is why we are placing this on the Ranger now."

I don't understand how you can acknowledge a problem and then "solve" it by giving a half-assed band-aid solution to just 1 archetype.

Wouldn't it be more in your interest to come up with an actual global solution so that all or atleast the majority of archetypes would be able to be "runner killers" in some way or form?

I'm really hoping this is just a temporary solution.

7ug90hM.png

Baseline Ranger out of the box has somewhere sub 30 seconds spamming melee powers. 

So, about as long as the knight.

The basic attack in melee is really good, so don't discount that.

Unlike the knight :P

"We sorely have a need for a “runner killer” role in our playtests and the Hunger Dome, which is why we are placing this on the Ranger now."

I don't understand how you can acknowledge a problem and then "solve" it by giving a half-assed band-aid solution to just 1 archetype.

Wouldn't it be more in your interest to come up with an actual global solution so that all or atleast the majority of archetypes would be able to be "runner killers" in some way or form?

I'm really hoping this is just a temporary solution.

They are still planning on adding momentum to attacks, so that will help with chasing.

Beyond that, this isn't intended to be a 1 vs 1 game. If some archetypes are better at chasing down runners than others, that's okay.

I have to say that even though I understand the reasoning behind rangers not having full stealth, I'm really disappointed. I swapped my original archetype plans to ranger because it provided a safe and versatile option for being a campaign crafter. The ability to stealth and detect stealth was ideal for scouting out resources and letting me choose my battles tactically. I know that you said the advanced archetypes may include true stealth but, now I have to spec into a specific promotion and it limits my choices.

I hope there's a discipline or an exploration skill that supplements this. Something just doesn't seem right about playing an assassin as a crafting archetype.

Agreed.  All PvP games seem hell-bent on having stealth, but it's never implemented in a meaningful way.  Invisibility stealth mechanics are just so boring and not at all conducive to PvP: quite the opposite.

I was hopeful CF would try to break the mold here...alas.  Hopefully the duration and cooldown will be very short and very long, respectively, so people need at least an iota of tactic.

My old mmo-mentor Surly used to say "If you want to show how broken something is, use the hell out of it".

I have every intention of using the most OP stealth mechanics this game will have - if they're truly out of balance, i'll make sure its known, and i suggest others do the same. Maybe, hopefully, that would be a catalyst for less cheese-stealth.

But we have to wait and see how it actually is in release. Might not be what we all fear in the end.

aka honeybear

I hope there's a discipline or an exploration skill that supplements this. Something just doesn't seem right about playing an assassin as a crafting archetype.

That was confirmed a few posts ago in this thread.

Don't forget about Disciplines! Yes it would cost you a very valuable slot, but the option will be there.

IhhQKY6.gif

Nerf incoming.

Balancing is long down the road. This will be an interesting test of a lot of new mechanics.

Long term though, the ranger will either need nerfing in the name of "minimum viable powers" or everyone else will likely get a boost.

Looking forward to Alpha 2.0