Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Druid: A Martyr Playstyle with lots of Risk and Reward

Dondagora

Druids are supporters, healers in some cases. Here's my view of what I want Druid to be:

Using one's own soul and blood, a Druid takes their own life force to reignite or fuel the "fire of life" in another. They do so in such a way that they carry the burden of the battle wounds of those who fight for them, and in turn either die for their cause or become calculators of worth on the battlefield. "Heal him now, even when his wounds aren't serious?" "If I heal the Confessor now, then I won't be able to live through healing the Knight." They need to weigh their life and the lives of their comrades against the end goal. Perhaps the Druid is selfish and doesn't want to die, thus holds back on healing their comrades too often. Or, they are too fervent in their cause and bleed themselves dry to give their blood to another.

Basically, this: Druids use both Health and Mana to heal allies. Perhaps they take on debuffs which make them more vulnerable, and thus killable. The more a Druid defies death of an ally, the greater a burden they have to carry.

This is, what I believe to be, a healer and supporter with risk and reward. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind seeing a character that sacrifices its own life to heal others. Perhaps the druid could have self heals that cost mana (some type of HoT perhaps), and can heal others by sacrificing their own life and mana? If implemented well, it could prevent the "firehose" aspect that I many here (myself included) don't want to see.

The buff/debuff connection is interesting too: The druid buffs another characters armor, but becomes more vulnerable. 

Interesting ideas. I like them better than the idea of a character that steals another characters power to become stronger. But I'm a giver.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the druid archetype becomes.

I wouldn't mind seeing a character that sacrifices its own life to heal others. Perhaps the druid could have self heals that cost mana (some type of HoT perhaps), and can heal others by sacrificing their own life and mana? If implemented well, it could prevent the "firehose" aspect that I many here (myself included) don't want to see.

The buff/debuff connection is interesting too: The druid buffs another characters armor, but becomes more vulnerable. 

Interesting ideas. I like them better than the idea of a character that steals another characters power to become stronger. But I'm a giver.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the druid archetype becomes.

I feel like self-heals defeats the purpose, but that could just be my view of implementation.

I'd prefer to see a group either invest in potions for the whole group or invest in potions to regen the Druid so that can be distributed out through her. 

Or, for offensive purposes, the Druid's has a lifesteal similar to the Ranger which allows it to either directly take health from the enemy through certain attacks or to debuff an enemy and allow it to steal a percent of damage done to it as health, from any source. The latter would be implemented so that the Druid can debuff an enemy and gain life as the enemy is killed by her allies.

I like that concept. I can imagine Druids being akin to GW2's Necromancer. They could have the ability to corrupt buffs into debuffs and/or conditions on foes, like turning the Legionnaire's Thundering Horde(?) into a snare, and maybe vice versa for allies, where they turn the Champ's Bleed into the Legionnaire's heal. Or maybe they can steal their enemies' buffs and spread them out to the Druid's allies or take their allies conditions -like snare, bleed, and sin- and give it to themselves. Plus the concept for taking health/mana/stamina in exchange for external heals is a good one, and having some life steal powers further helps this concept. I can see the Druid's promotions splitting between Support (healing, buffing, debuffing, life stealing), Utility (spreading buffs, corrupting debuffs, taking allies conditions) and DPS. The problem may be that the life steal may be too OP for DPS Druids (let's be honest, there will be some who will DPS with a Support Archetype), so balancing there would become potent so make sure they don't have too much sustain.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

it sounds like your druid will be a black mage or necromancer... arent druids supposed to use the power of the nature instead of bloodmagic?

These Druids seem more focused around the "warmth of Life" against the "cold of Hunger", so I simply see this as sharing your warmth rather than blood magic. Nature is, after all, encompassing even how plants gain their nutrience from death first before sharing it once more with the fruit-eaters. And while one can manipulate life, it isn't as if the Druid can make life happen from nowhere. Similarly, when a person loses blood, the healing done to them has to replace that blood.

Also, need I remind you that we're all walking corpses? I personally feel like this fits right in with a grimmer, more realistic approach to the nature-magic healer we've known from other games and stories.

Highly doubt it, druids will be the generic healer of the support classes, however I do think they will have a little offensive capability from the preview on the druid page it talk about the world being dead and they are no longer warm they are cold so i can see where the death vibe comes from. but im not sure I would go as far as they swap life for life

Highly doubt it, druids will be the generic healer of the support classes, however I do think they will have a little offensive capability from the preview on the druid page it talk about the world being dead and they are no longer warm they are cold so i can see where the death vibe comes from. but im not sure I would go as far as they swap life for life

Why do you say that?

From a gameplay standpoint, this could provide very interesting play and strategy while also avoiding the heal-spam healer we see in most other games that don't think about their healing at all. Instead, there is equal risk to equal reward in this case. You want to save somebody, then you have to lose a bit of yourself in that person's stead. It won't be 1:1 ratio of life given to healed, but the general idea exists to make healing into a more active process.

I don't see any downsides with this design [and no reason why ACE wouldn't prefer this], unless you'd like to point them out.

Also, don't "highly doubt" things this early in development. Things are heading along, but nothing is set in stone, especially of Archetypes as far down the line as Druid. Now isn't the time to be getting all realist, now is the time to throw out any idea you think would improve the game within context.

I say that as when we spoke to blair about it he said the druid would be the straight up generic healer, but like i said it could be similar to what you guys are saying with the preview i guess we shall have to wait and see then they do a full preview

Hmm, I really like this idea as a healing mechanic. But I also don't see it as druids mechanic. Also I think healing isn't coming as prior support mechanic (I'm expecting that druid comes with 1 or maybe even 2 healing abilities), I don't think this would be the mechanic they come up with (Personally expecting only one AoE persisting area which gives some healing over time). But still that healing/supporting mechanic you descriped is interesting but fits some converted black magic better.

Hmm, I really like this idea as a healing mechanic. But I also don't see it as druids mechanic. Also I think healing isn't coming as prior support mechanic (I'm expecting that druid comes with 1 or maybe even 2 healing abilities), I don't think this would be the mechanic they come up with (Personally expecting only one AoE persisting area which gives some healing over time). But still that healing/supporting mechanic you descriped is interesting but fits some converted black magic better.

How do you see Druid? Why?

I personally don't see them[ACE] involving healing which doesn't offer a substantial amount of risk to it, else it would run contrary to the "wanting people to die in fights" plan ACE seems to be running on.

Edited by Dondagora

ACE has previously stated that CF will have "no firehose healers".

Regardless of the merits of this idea, healing won't be the Druids' primary focus.

I do expect druids to have multiple healing powers (Like 1 wide-diameter AoE heal and 1 single target heal) and debuff removal/prevention powers.

After all, they're nature mages.

Templars in Shadowbane had the empathic healing ability you proposed, so maybe CF druids can get it too.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Can't say where it will end up but if they say it will be the "primary healer" it will need more healing powers than other archetypes. Currently the Lego has a AoE burst heal and a HoT cone heal where teammates get healed which each attack they make.

So a Druid we need at least 3 types of heals. My thinking is something generic like a long refresh single target burst heal, cone HoT that is indiscriminate and heals ALL targets, and a passive "during your attack combo % of damage done heals squadmates only."

Other possibilities might be:
-Transfer "affliction" to self and heals target.
-Restore full HP to target / target's damage output and powers are 50% for 60 sec.
-Split damage between target and self
-Mark enemy, % of damage Druid does to enemy restores HP.
-Sacrifice 80% mana AND stamina to restore HP. (take yourself out of the fight basically to save self)

These are just a few things that popped in my head. I'm sure others will think of possible examples.

Whatever the case is we also have promotions and rune disciplines that can make more players as a hybrid support types.

Edited by Keaggan

It could be fun, I could see the mana based self heals as the cost of doing business as a big healer. You make the health sacrifices high but the heals huge with a lower casting time. That way the self heals are sort of built in as part of the big heals casting time. Could create Exciting situations when healing a group instead of playing whack a mole with life bars!

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

I basically spot Riot Games logic behind their Soraka design where they negotiate their unnecessary restriction on healing by utilizing sacrifice, yet actually make a character with more overpowered healing than before.

There are way better ways to develop Druid than convoluted healing, I'm sure we all expect some healing from the primary support mage, but I'm hoping they can produce far more compelling support features than simple restoration and stat changing.

Hedge barriers, pet control systems, protracted soft disables. Healing would be good too, even a lot of healing, the easy way to do that without becoming burdensome to battle is to make it out of combat healing, targeted, or even interceptable by foes.

If they apply friendly fire thoroughly, heals could spill onto or be intercepted by foes, making aiming a serious part of healing.

Ultimately, in a pvp game, healers are first priority targets, giving them a sacrifice mechanism for heals isn't strategically sound, they'll just get eliminated faster, and it doesn't provide a framework for self healing in a manual aim game.

The act of preventing a healer from using its heals on themself is adequate to throttle their effectiveness, the sacrifice mechanism is overboard.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Healing by itself really isn't a problem, the trinity is really based around aggression control tanking, what's really necessary are complex survival alternatives beside healing, and healing interactions that aren't designed to prevent death.

When healing is designed around surviving, it lacks strategy, the effectiveness and behaviours need proper measure.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

• 1 month later...

I like this idea, but rather than putting it into the druid class, maybe it should be it's own thing, make it a 'martyr' class, rather than healing in the traditional sense, they take the damage unto themselves, which in turn they can share with their enemies, eye for an eye style. Would make for a 'tank' class in a far more backwards way than traditional mmo's, the more you hurt his friends, the more he hurts you, making him a very tempting target to take out early in the game...