Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lionhead Studios Closing Down!

Emcredible

Sad news indeed today, Lionhead Studios based in London, England as well as in Denmark is being closed down by Microsoft if you don't know who they are(you must have been under a rock for the past 20 years) but they are the creators of games such as Black & White as well as the legendary Fable series, and are even cancelling their latest game Fable Legends a moba style game where you can play as a team of heroes or play as villan and spawn mobs into the area, having played the latest game it is a far far step away from the orginal fable games, but who knows someone may buy the IP and we might see a massive reboot in the series in years to come.

Offical statement from xbox website is below in case you want to read it, would love to read your thoughts on this as Fable is very much a genre defining game for rpgs in my opinion

Today, I have some difficult changes to announce that affect some of our Microsoft Studios teams and projects in the UK and Denmark.

After much consideration we have decided to cease development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees about the proposed closure of Lionhead Studios in the UK. Additionally, we will close Press Play Studios in Denmark, and sunset development on Project Knoxville.

These have been tough decisions and we have not made them lightly, nor are they a reflection on these development teams - we are incredibly fortunate to have the talent, creativity and commitment of the people at these studios. The Lionhead Studios team has delighted millions of fans with the Fable series over the past decade. Press Play imbued the industry with a unique creative spirit behind games like Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Kalimba, which both captured passionate fans. These changes are taking effect as Microsoft Studios continues to focus its investment and development on the games and franchises that fans find most exciting and want to play.

I speak for all of Xbox when I say that despite this news, we remain committed to the development communities in the UK and Europe, and Xbox will continue to support new IP and originality in the games we offer on our platforms, whether they're AAA blockbusters like Quantum Break from Remedy, adventurous new IPs like Sea of Thieves from Rare, or unique new creations from independent developers like Moon Studios with Ori.

We have nothing but heart-felt thanks for the members of Lionhead and Press Play for their contributions to Xbox and gaming. We are committed to working closely with those affected by today's news to find them new opportunities at Xbox, or partnering with the broader development community to help place them in jobs elsewhere in the games industry should they desire.

Lionhead was such a great studio when they were independent back in the days.

Such great days back then, They were really innovative and interesting. They could have changed this totally awkward and unappealing game industry.

Same goes for Rare.

I hope Rare gets closed next soon too. The same like with Lionhead studios. They were the best when they were independent. But then Microsoft bought them and Rare was destroyed.

I miss the old Golden Times of Gaming so much...

When game developers were small till mid-sized independent companies.

Where creative and inspired people were making games and decisions for games and game companies.

I miss these times so much...

Hopefully crowdfunding is able to reclaim a little bit of these old golden times.

Microsoft and neo-capitalism really destroyed the gaming industry.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Yeah I agree crowd funding is a great thing for games these days, just wish more people would back games as i've watched many amazing new ideas for games not meet their targets by a few % and it's really sad to see that, do you think anyone will take over the fable ip? maybe a league of legends style fable moba would have worked better for fable legends

Which games are you talking about, if I may ask.

No Fable Legends didnt have potential, there was just no fun or potential in this game to be found I would say, thats why it was cancelled. Thats nothing extraordinary, most game concepts/ideas turn out to not work like intended or experience many other issues, and then dont make it to the market.

For the Fable franchise as a whole, I dont see potential interested investors. Fable was just great with the first part of the franchise. the rest of the franchise just all lived from that fame from back then, but werent able to convince on their own. Fable 1 was really really great at its time, even today many or most games dont get it done, what they did back then.

A game studio always needs a soul which resides in it. Otherwise a game studio is just an empty room with PCs in it.

A game studio wtihout a soul is an identityless dead body.

Its the people who are bringing games to live, who make the games great, to what they are, not the money.

So if you buy a studio you just buy a name or franchise, but thats all only dead weight anymore, nothing but worthless trash, if there isnt someone giving something of himself into this, bringing it to life.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I was surprised they lasted so long. Even the first Fable and Black & White games delivered half of what Molyneux promised, but at least they were fun. Their other games seemed mediocre to me and in the last ten years they had more titles canceled than finished.

I liked the first Fable game, but I do remember how the developer wayyy over hyped the game. Saying it could do stuff that it couldn't. It still was fun and had a decent story. But can't help but think if you're promising fans it can do x, y, z but at release you've left out y & part of z, I can understand why some were annoyed. Good lesson for developers, hype the game but make sure you can deliver the hype. (Watch Dogs anyone?)

Sorry to see the company get closed down. But to be honest, I could careless about a Fable moba. I'm a little tired of all the new mobas tbh. Besides, DotA2 is hands down the best one out there.

• 2 weeks later...