Find results in...

Founders' Update: Toppling castle walls - Official discussion thread

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not full world destruction at this point -- it's siege mechanics.  Controlling siege equipment, targeting and firing projectiles, fracturing castle walls appropriately based on the wall's materia

Short answer to your question: yes, and yes.   Longer answer: our fundraising position has improved dramatically.  Our concern at the beginning was that investors would only participate if we promis

At the macro level, investors aren't looking at MMOs at all.  Neither are the big publishers, really.     Look at any recent "Most Anticipated MMOs" list... the top games are all from independent st

Another 700k damn...Glad to see that you guys are still keeping the game's scale in check and not going full blown feature creep now that funding appears to be much better than you guys anticipated.

Relevant:

8rVFy0C.gif

I was skeptical about destruction being already in Siege Perilous, but it looks like it is? Voxels aren't my thing but that means you are going faster than I thought. Also, 700k being added to the funding money is great news.... lots of people were doubting CF funding, but the more CF grows the more angel funding you're able to get.

Well done.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

"We’re doing a much smaller than normal MMO by choosing to be PvP-focused, doing algorithmic world generation, tight (but effective!) constraints on character customization and heavily reliance on off-the-shelf technologies. Our cost for the core game will be in the $6 million range."

With this additional $700K from investors, the total funding would be around $7,200,000 if I'm correct.

"As a fourth option, we can always bring in additional investment money (i.e. sell more equity). After our Kickstarter ended, we were approached by a number of people (ALL of them backers!) interested in investing in ArtCraft. We are currently considering taking a small investment from a few accredited investors (we call them player/angels!)  We like the idea of having backers as investors, as they are "pre-filtered" to believe in the Crowfall vision and won't want to change the design or the business model. We don't feel that we HAVE to raise this money, but we do feel like we could put it to good use to both reduce our risk and make the game better -- if we can find individuals who are a good fit. It would also put us in the best negotiating position for the overseas rights, meaning we can wait for the right partners and deals. "

I wonder if ACE is still making sure that those criteria are met, and if they still have a total control over their project. Only $2,65M out of $7,19M (less than 40% if I'm correct) is now crowdfunded money.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6043-the-crowfall-budget-question/

I was skeptical about destruction being already in Siege Perilous, but it looks like it is? Voxels aren't my thing but that means you are going faster than I thought. Also, 700k being added to the funding money is a great news.... lots of people were doubting CF funding, but the more CF grows the more angel funding you're able to get.

Well done.

It's not full world destruction at this point -- it's siege mechanics.  Controlling siege equipment, targeting and firing projectiles, fracturing castle walls appropriately based on the wall's materials (and simulating how they were constructed... and, of course, connecting it all to the physics system (so that we can have explosions that result in massive falling stone blocks, etc).  

We've spent a fair amount of effort on HOW we want the walls to fracture, most games just have the walls break into "chunks" that don't seem very realistic.  We thought it would be much cooler for them to fracture along mortar joints, make the blocks shift more at the point of impact, give them friction against the ground and other blocks, etc.)

It's coming along (and it's definitely cool).  We'll talk more about our approach, and show some examples, before we get you guys in to play it the end of the month.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

300-500 testers PER wave! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas more scrubs to slay, when we go to alpha 1 will our skills reset from pre-alpha?

I would expect that Siege Perilous will be a completely different build than Hunger Dome, and thus won't include any of our existing characters. More than likely, it's a completely new download and game, rather than an update to the existing game.

It's coming along (and it's definitely cool).  We'll talk more about our approach, and show some examples, before we get you guys in to play it the end of the month.

End of the Month better not be the 31st :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I would expect that Siege Perilous will be a completely different build than Hunger Dome, and thus won't include any of our existing characters. More than likely, it's a completely new download and game, rather than an update to the existing game.

Yeah hoping they will accounce what will happen, and I meant if the character data is in a seperate database to world data

We've spent a fair amount of effort on HOW we want the walls to fracture, most games just have the walls break into "chunks" that don't seem very realistic.  We thought it would be much cooler for them to fracture along mortar joints, make the blocks shift more at the point of impact, give them friction against the ground and other blocks, etc.)

E5075D72-8A36-4458-B8A8-ED94EA740703.jpg

...We've spent a fair amount of effort on HOW we want the walls to fracture...

This actually makes me very happy, part of me was bracing for disappointment on how this would end up looking.  I just hope we end up with said pieces crushing people, and blocks falling off not being terribly predictable...   (If you know the top part of the wall comes off at 75% health or something similar, it's not near as exciting as a really good first hit with a lucky roll causing a nearby player to be crushed - or that's my theory)

Edited by yamix

Great update and I'm just as hyped as everyone else for Siege Perilous!

To us working grunts 700k is a grip ton of money, but what does it mean to a game company building an MMO?

I know it will help but does 700k buy a game company?

Well seeing as warcraft makes around 60$ million on subscriptions per month, and it cost them 63 million to make it doesn't take you far, i recently saw a post on facebook about kim k bragging that her "game" app had made 50 million over two years which compared to other games is hardly anything, especially compared to games like candy crush, but 700k won't buy you a new game however it could buy you a team of workers to work on a new/existing part of the game, it could buy you new software, like a "copy" of the unreal engine was like 15k but im sure there is other software out there that costs a lot lot more, like everything it depends what you spend/invest the money on.

on a side note Unreal Engine is now free whaaaa?!!?!?!