Find results in...

Founders' Update: Toppling castle walls - Official discussion thread

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not full world destruction at this point -- it's siege mechanics.  Controlling siege equipment, targeting and firing projectiles, fracturing castle walls appropriately based on the wall's materia

Short answer to your question: yes, and yes.   Longer answer: our fundraising position has improved dramatically.  Our concern at the beginning was that investors would only participate if we promis

At the macro level, investors aren't looking at MMOs at all.  Neither are the big publishers, really.     Look at any recent "Most Anticipated MMOs" list... the top games are all from independent st

Well seeing as warcraft makes around 60$ million on subscriptions per month, and it cost them 63 million to make it doesn't take you far, i recently saw a post on facebook about kim k bragging that her "game" app had made 50 million over two years which compared to other games is hardly anything, especially compared to games like candy crush, but 700k won't buy you a new game however it could buy you a team of workers to work on a new/existing part of the game, it could buy you new software, like a "copy" of the unreal engine was like 15k but im sure there is other software out there that costs a lot lot more, like everything it depends what you spend/invest the money on.

on a side note Unreal Engine is now free whaaaa?!!?!?!

I believe it's free to use but if you make more than a certain amount of money from a product using the engine you have to pay some amount.

Looking forward to that 30$ to upgrade into Siege Perilous!

gCWxS8u.jpg

I'm slightly confused, as it says 2015 backers from Contributor through Silver can get in at Alpha 2 or Alpha 3 via the new mini-bundles, but I'm Bronze and already have Alpha group 3 listed in my rewards. Am I having a dumb moment?

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I'm slightly confused, as it says 2015 backers from Contributor through Silver can get in at Alpha 2 or Alpha 3 via the new mini-bundles, but I'm Bronze and already have Alpha group 3 listed in my rewards. Am I having a dumb moment?

Yea. Beta 1/2s can go to Alpha 2/3, Alpha 3 can go to Alpha 2.

The packs for getting Alpha 2 are up now it seems, I'm waiting on the Alpha 3 ones.

Edited by Sciocco

gCWxS8u.jpg

Since stoneborn are made of stone, can we collect falling castle debris as vessel material?

Or better yet, can we use siege weapons on stoneborn? I'll name my Forgemaster Barney Rubble.

Given that the game has real physics, I would expect that the projectiles would be actual objects, and that they would cause damage to anyone who gets hit by them.

Edited by Arkade

Or better yet, can we use siege weapons on stoneborn? I'll name my Forgemaster Barney Rubble.

Given that the game has real physics, I would expect that the projectiles would be actual objects, and that they would cause damage to anyone who gets hit by them.

or Stoneborn as siege Ammo lol. Shoot a bunch of those rock dudes at a wall, break through and they're right there to start attacking enemies inside.  Emergent gameplay I could get behind!

"We’re doing a much smaller than normal MMO by choosing to be PvP-focused, doing algorithmic world generation, tight (but effective!) constraints on character customization and heavily reliance on off-the-shelf technologies. Our cost for the core game will be in the $6 million range."

With this additional $700K from investors, the total funding would be around $7,200,000 if I'm correct.

"As a fourth option, we can always bring in additional investment money (i.e. sell more equity). After our Kickstarter ended, we were approached by a number of people (ALL of them backers!) interested in investing in ArtCraft. We are currently considering taking a small investment from a few accredited investors (we call them player/angels!)  We like the idea of having backers as investors, as they are "pre-filtered" to believe in the Crowfall vision and won't want to change the design or the business model. We don't feel that we HAVE to raise this money, but we do feel like we could put it to good use to both reduce our risk and make the game better -- if we can find individuals who are a good fit. It would also put us in the best negotiating position for the overseas rights, meaning we can wait for the right partners and deals. "

I wonder if ACE is still making sure that those criteria are met, and if they still have a total control over their project. Only $2,65M out of $7,19M (less than 40% if I'm correct) is now crowdfunded money.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/6043-the-crowfall-budget-question/

Short answer to your question: yes, and yes.

Longer answer: our fundraising position has improved dramatically.  Our concern at the beginning was that investors would only participate if we promised the turn the game into WoW. -- which we are absolutely unwilling to do.  Our vision is our vision, and is isn't going to change.

But we recognize that our vision is kind of crazy, and the biggest pushback would be : "what if you can't find an audience?"

Then you guys came along, and that changed everything.  Our story is MUCH stronger now: we have amassed over 100,000 registrations, 26,000 backers and $2.6m in pledges... all virally.  We've also assembled a world-class team, completed a few iterations of testing, and hit our dates.  We can show significant progress towards the finished game (both stuff you guys have seen, and foundational work that you haven't).  The fact that we have momentum in terms of both development and marketing is HUGE.

The response from potential investors (and foreign partners) has shifted from "cautiously optimistic" to "overwhelmingly positive".  We're no longer debating whether an audience for Crowfall exists (thanks to you!) or whether we can build it (thanks to our team) and since our course is now set, we don't have to be AS concerned about the influence of external money..  Oh, it's still something to be careful with, absolutely -- but if we can find resources from the right people or organizations...  great!  The game will be much better as a result, and that's a win for everyone.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Thanks for answering those questions. Hopefully this puts a lot of uneasy minds at rest.

I would appreciate it very much, and I think I can ask for all Europeans, but is there any news on ACE being able to self-publish in Europe? As an European guild and community we prefer ACE publishing themselves. We know you would prefer this as well, and getting some positive news would make us very very happy.

This is and will remain my biggest concern about Crowfall.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Longer answer: our fundraising position has improved dramatically.  Our concern at the beginning was that investors would only participate if we promised the turn the game into WoW. -- which we are absolutely unwilling to do.  Our vision is our vision, and is isn't going to change.

But we recognize that our vision is kind of crazy, and the biggest pushback would be : "what if you can't find an audience?"

Then you guys came along, and that changed everything.  Our story is MUCH stronger now: we have amassed over 100,000 registrations, 26,000 backers and $2.6m in pledges... all virally.  We've also assembled a world-class team, completed a few iterations of testing, and hit our dates.  We can show significant progress towards the finished game (both stuff you guys have seen, and foundational work that you haven't).  The fact that we have momentum in terms of both development and marketing is HUGE.

The response from potential investors (and foreign partners) has shifted from "cautiously optimistic" to "overwhelmingly positive".  We're no longer debating whether an audience for Crowfall exists (thanks to you!) or whether we can build it (thanks to our team) and since our course is now set, we don't have to be AS concerned about the influence of external money..  Oh, it's still something to be careful with, absolutely -- but if we can find resources from the right people or organizations...  great!  The game will be much better as a result, and that's a win for everyone.

Todd

ACE

I want you to know Todd that I tried hard to win that >1 billion dollar Power Ball so I could fully fund you guys. Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. 

If all else fails I figure you could pose as Mark Cuban and cut yourself a check out of one of his accounts!

Qg0NkwV.png

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

I appreciate that you took the time to answer those questions. I agree that what you guys have accomplished so far is huge, especially considering the current state of MMORPG (huge AAA titles that attract most of the MMO gamers and hundreds of smaller projects fighting for an audience).

At this point it makes sense to me too that the people who wish to support the project financially, investors and backers, are most likely doing it because they believe in Crowfall as it has been presented so far, rather than because they hope for major changes to the "vision". So I also agree that the risk of external influence is probably less severe now than it was before the whole concept proved to be viable. Thanks again for the answer!

Is that really what investors are still going for? after the failure or disappointment of every single WoW clone launched since? it's been 12 years since WoW, there has been no more WoW level successes since then.  You would think that after Wildstar maybe investors would get on the "maybe let's not WoW so hard" bandwagon.

Is that really what investors are still going for? after the failure or disappointment of every single WoW clone launched since? it's been 12 years since WoW, there has been no more WoW level successes since then.  You would think that after Wildstar maybe investors would get on the "maybe let's not WoW so hard" bandwagon.

At the macro level, investors aren't looking at MMOs at all.  Neither are the big publishers, really.  

Look at any recent "Most Anticipated MMOs" list... the top games are all from independent studios and started via crowdfunding: Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Shroud of the Avatar, Albion, Star Citizen, et all.  Where is the big slate of upcoming blockbusters from the industry heavyweights?

7 years ago, the money was chasing WOW clones.

5 years ago, they wanted facebook games.

3 years ago, they wanted mobile games.

2 year ago, they wanted MOBAs.

Last year, they wanted VR games.

Next year, they'll want AR games.

It's crazy, yeah, but it's what our industry does.  

The upshot of this "mad rush" of money to other platforms/genres is that it left the MMO space (which is still huge, btw) surprisingly clear of competition.  

Which gave a few upstart developers with crazy ideas the chance to build something really innovative.  

(Hooray for us!)

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

[Rules of Conduct]

At the macro level, investors aren't looking at MMOs at all.  Neither are the big publishers, really.  

7 years ago, the money was chasing WOW clones.

Which gave a few upstart developers with crazy ideas the chance to build something really innovative.  

(Hooray for us!)

Todd

ACE

I just want to make sure I understand: we're quietly pretending the obvious and fatal link between the utter disaster that was SWTOR and the total wildcard that is Crowfall doesn't exist, right?

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

I just want to make sure I understand: we're quietly pretending the obvious and fatal link between the utter disaster that was SWTOR and the total wildcard that is Crowfall doesn't exist, right?

I presume you mean Gordon's involvement in both projects?  Gordon has been completely transparent about his missteps in the industry.  It's something that he he is notorious for.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/102-gordon-walton-are-you-the-one-who-brought-us-trammel/#entry1610

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5792-gordon-walton-are-you-the-one-who-brought-us-the-nge/

He's also one of the executives in the MMO industry willing to take risks.

In my analysis above, SWTOR would fall into the same bucket as the other big-dollar attempts to dethrone WOW, like Wild Star and ESO and EQ 2. Your assertion that is was an "utter disaster" is incorrect (the game made back the overall investment in the first year, and has probably generated at least $100m in lifetime profit) but NONE of those titles came even close to making a dent in WoW.  So from that standpoint, yes, they all failed.  

and yes, that's typically why investors move their bets to another table. They want to find the next Zynga, or Rovio, or Riot. When one bet shows huge returns, they try to replicate it a few times, and if that doesn't work they move on.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

[Rules of Conduct]