Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Founders' Update: Toppling castle walls - Official discussion thread

I presume you mean Gordon's involvement in both projects?  Gordon has been completely transparent about his missteps in the industry.  It's something that he he is notorious for.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/102-gordon-walton-are-you-the-one-who-brought-us-trammel/#entry1610

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/5792-gordon-walton-are-you-the-one-who-brought-us-the-nge/

He's also one of the executives in the MMO industry willing to take risks.

In my analysis above, SWTOR would fall into the same bucket as the other big-dollar attempts to dethrone WOW, like Wild Star and ESO and EQ 2. Your assertion that is was an "utter disaster" is incorrect (the game made back the overall investment in the first year, and has probably generated at least $100m in lifetime profit) but NONE of those titles came even close to making a dent in WoW.  So from that standpoint, yes, they all failed.  

and yes, that's typically why investors move their bets to another table. They want to find the next Zynda, or Rovio, or Riot. When one bet shows huge returns, they try to replicate it a few times, and if that doesn't work they move on.

Todd

ACE

I despise what became of the gaming industry nowadays.

Its totally different form the gaming industry when I was a kid.

Back then the gaming industry was made up of a majority of mid-sized independent game developers.

Today its all about a few global "players" of big publishers dictating the gaming industry to be annoying, generic and totally unapealling. And I really am trying hard here to use nice words, not to say what kind of people the ones at the big publishers and game developers these days really are!

I totally despise these people in the gaming industry nowadays, they are totally different from the great, awesoem people residing in this creative industry back when I was young.

Down with Neo Capitalism, its totally backfiring and contra-productive. Its all only about money, not people, gamers or games.

Money doesnt make games! Money doesnt do anything!

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I despise what became of the gaming industry nowadays.

Its totally different form the gaming industry when I was a kid.

Back then the gaming industry was made up of a majority of mid-sized independent game developers.

Today all its about a few global "players" of big publishers dictating the gaming industry to be annoying, generic and totally unapealling.

I'll buy that statement for a dollar!

I just want to make sure I understand: we're quietly pretending the obvious and fatal link between the utter disaster that was SWTOR and the total wildcard that is Crowfall doesn't exist, right?

It seems you weren't THAT concerned if you gave them enough money to get that Ruby backer badge. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

Where did the 700k come from?  I'm personally not a fan of stakeholders/investors/publishers.  They cripple creativity, risk taking, innovation, and only want what's been proven (read: WoW clones). <_<

Where did the 700k come from?  I'm personally not a fan of stakeholders/investors/publishers.  They cripple creativity, risk taking, innovation, and only want what's been proven (read: WoW clones). <_<

I recommend you read this: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11204-founders-update-toppling-castle-walls-official-discussion-thread/?p=261823

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

It came from one guy who single-handedly took all creative control away. The game is now going to be entitled Call of Duty: Crowfall. :)

Just because some investors only want WoW clones does not mean all people with consciousnesses and money only want WoW clones. Your attitude is akin to "I'm personally not a fan of oxygen because it combusts and explodes people." Yeah. It doesn't also do other things. Only that. *nod nod*

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.