Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

ACE Q&A for March: A lot of ways to be a badass - Official discussion thread

Look who's hiding!

peY86Cw.png

hahaha JTodd why you're hiding at least say hello to us :( anyway great questions about social system..

I thought it would be about crafting when Raph Koster was here D:!

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

The idea of making connections with other players brought up a question I had been thinking about for awhile. How exactly will character names work? Let's say I start out as a female archetype and name my character Suzy. Then I die and switch my vessel to a Forgemaster. It'd be pretty weird to be a Forgemaster named Suzy, but if you change your name whenever you change archetypes no one will recognize you. Will there be an account name and a character name? 

nYgae2w.png

The idea of making connections with other players brought up a question I had been thinking about for awhile. How exactly will character names work? Let's say I start out as a female archetype and name my character Suzy. Then I die and switch my vessel to a Forgemaster. It'd be pretty weird to be a Forgemaster named Suzy, but if you change your name whenever you change archetypes no one will recognize you. Will there be an account name and a character name? 

your crow name will be displayed for other players...

so yes, if you name your crow suzy, then the bearded fella will be named Suzy

This is a major note not only in name but with appearance how does one crow stand out as Excavaliar the swordsman who is a knight from Ventrall the blacksmith who is a knight. Being able to tell who is who by more than a name is a big part of forming that community. Even in Eve just seeing that icon of a friend was a big deal in having a connection to a person.

89W57Tu.jpg

Look who's hiding!

peY86Cw.png

hahaha JTodd why you're hiding at least say hello to us :( anyway great questions about social system..

I thought it would be about crafting when Raph Koster was here D:!

Had to rewatch it but it was the greatest thing I saw in weeks xD

I AM ME!
I love you all.

Absolutely one of THE most over looked aspects off an MMO...a way to bring the "MM" together. It's one of the 3 foundations I look for in an MMO and why I don't play them anymore. Which ironically is what EK will be playing a major part in. They will be a great facilitator of these "soft" connections. Yes you will have crafters, scouts, etc in the CW but the persistent "soft" connections are through the EK. MMOs that struggle or aren't interested in giving us as many social tools as possible start to feel so flat.

An unrelated topic...What is that strange creature in the background?

TiFTNLO.png

Edited by Keaggan

Awesome to see some more info on the social mechanics. I'm looking forward to making connections within and without my guild, especially seeing as I wish to be a crafter. Definitely looking forward to this!

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

'Light touch'... Wise.

Actually they are right about everything, right on spot. Modern MMORPG being to loose about social aspect (you can play some of them as single-player games if you want) while there is no going back to tight-knit days of yore :) inderdependecy (after all those solo-friendly MMORPGs most people won't play 4-hour raid).  It has been bothering me for years, actually. While I have no time to commit to real pro guild anymore I see no reason to stay in MMORPG if it feels like single player (I just finish content+/exploration and move on).

^ This kind of approach seems to be a good (and, maybe, perfect) solution.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

It's not even just that soft-touch social mechanics keeps people around, it's that light-touch social mechanics develop into friends with whom to do the high-touch mechanics.  I did not know the guild I joined in SB at launch, but I've played with them since, because of the constancy of light-touch social mechanics.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

It's not even just that soft-touch social mechanics keeps people around, it's that light-touch social mechanics develop into friends with whom to do the high-touch mechanics.

^ Yeah, this. You log in, you play, you group with people. If game was good you keep in touch as you progress and at some point join their guild (create guild together).

oaOnsEV.jpg?1