Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Pre-Alpha 2.0: Siege Perilous overview - Official discussion thread

You can rekindle ancient rivalries once the game has shipped, we promise!

That's not how this works, guy. 

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

So the only benefit chaos gain from defending trees is not losing and chaos has to both defend and destroy?

Seems like it equals out by the fact that if the Defenders come out to attack the bane trees that leaves the keep and Tree of Life less defended.

Can't wait to try this.

It would be nice if we could form teams (which would then get randomly assigned to a side) in a more convenient way than the current lobby. It can be a pain to enter the lobby and see all the teams have a person or two on them, preventing a max-size team from joining together. This often leads to people dropping out of the game once the timer starts so they can try to get on the same team in the next lobby.

Would it be possible to let us form teams without having to "grab" slots in the lobby? Perhaps a group invite mechanic? You could still put a maximum on the size of a team, and randomly assign teams to one of the two sides, but we wouldn't have to fight over slots in the lobby to play together.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Seems like it equals out by the fact that if the Defenders come out to attack the bane trees that leaves the keep and Tree of Life less defended.

How I understood it is that the Order faction doesn't have to leave the Keep at all, since when the timer hits 0:00, Order automatically wins.

There are a number of victory influencers to consider in this minigame -Tree of life health, bane circle(s) health, reduced number of players on the field due to increasing respawn timer, Order deaths +10 seconds match time, and Chaos deaths -10 seconds match time. 

In this context, is equipment another factor in that it could be a limited resource?  Will the supply tents eventually run out of gear thereby making capture and control of corpses (and their inventories) a consideration?

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

How I understood it is that the Order faction doesn't have to leave the Keep at all, since when the timer hits 0:00, Order automatically wins.

Correct. The concern though that EDM had was that Chaos has more to do so to speak, that they have to both defend and attack to win. My point was that if they are having to defend their bane trees then that means Order has come out from behind their walls which in turn means the walls, the keep and their Tree of Life is now less defended.

The tactical choices available is whats most interesting to me. As Order sure you can turtle up behind your walls, but unimpeded its not going to take very long before Chaos troops are within your walls and now inside. Send too many outside to slow Chaos and again you leave yourself vulnerable if those attacks are not successful. So yeah can't wait to see how this all plays out and see what tactics might work best and how tweaks are made to ensure theres not just one cookie cutter sure fire way to victory. 

Edited by pang

Sounds promising mechanically. And I see see how it touches on a LOT of different systems. 

I don't like how deaths modify the timer, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Would it be possible to let us form teams without having to "grab" slots in the lobby? Perhaps a group invite mechanic? You could still put a maximum on the size of a team, and randomly assign teams to one of the two sides, but we wouldn't have to fight over slots in the lobby to play together.

I'd like to see that in the tests, however since the current grouping / lobby features are temporary and will probably serve only during alpha tests, maybe it's some extra programming work that could be best used on the real game mechanics instead.

Maybe.

But the best defense is a good offense. If you put all your force right at the keep, no ones stopping chaos from taking out the walls and moving in. With them inside the walls, you have less margin for error.

aka honeybear

Correct. The concern though that EDM had was that Chaos has more to do so to speak, that they have to both defend and attack to win. My point was that if they are having to defend their bane trees then that means Order has come out from behind their walls which in turn means the walls, the keep and their Tree of Life is now less defended.

The tactical choices available is whats most interesting to me. As Order sure you can turtle up behind your walls, but unimpeded its not going to take very long before Chaos troops are within your walls and now inside. Send too many outside to slow Chaos and again you leave yourself vulnerable if those attacks are not successful. So yeah can't wait to see how this all plays out and see what tactics might work best and how tweaks are made to ensure theres not just one cookie cutter sure fire way to victory. 

I was going to suggest that the sides could be adjustable with the ability to be unequal to compensate (Order = 16 players, Chaos = 20 players) but the random side spawn mechanic suggests that every team will be equally sized.  This might require a revisit if Order wins the vast majority of matches due to a defensive advantage.  (Although I surmise that organized groups in voicecom will still see a good deal of success, regardless of which side they drop).

rSHxVEY.gif

Maybe.

But the best defense is a good offense. If you put all your force right at the keep, no ones stopping chaos from taking out the walls and moving in. With them inside the walls, you have less margin for error.

Order definitely has the advantage of being reactive...  "If the timer expires and the Tree of Life is still standing, then victory is awarded to the Order faction. In other words, holding out for the duration is an additional path to victory for the defenders."

rSHxVEY.gif