Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Pre-Alpha 2.0: Siege Perilous overview - Official discussion thread

Guess I'm looking to win, not go out in a blaze of glory because its not as much 'fun'. It is a siege and all, they historically aren't fun for either side. :P Also you didn't really answer anything for me, I would think there is a strategic reason to do it so I was wondering what it could be.

Going out and attacking the attackers is a good strategy to winning, IMO. Just turtling behind your walls gives the attackers unimpeded access to knock down your walls and restock and regroup without any hassle.

Speaking specifically to this game mode anything the defenders can do to slow down and out last the attackers if not out right defeat them should be considered as a viable tactic.

Going out and attacking the attackers is a good strategy to winning, IMO. Just turtling behind your walls gives the attackers unimpeded access to knock down your walls and restock and regroup without any hassle.

Speaking specifically to this game mode anything the defenders can do to slow down and out last the attackers if not out right defeat them should be considered as a viable tactic.

In shadowbane, going out was a necessity (to destroy siege engine, tents and the bane circle), if you stayed inside your walls you were doomed, so i guess the same will apply there.

The siege tent was even destroyable in SB, but i think it will not be the case in this first iteration of the test.

Edited by Gorwald

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

Strategy wise it's similar to any capture the flag game. Usually, coordinated teams will always go on the offensive. Even if you're defender, it's easier for the stronger team to wipe the offense and then camp the graveyard than to constantly try to fend off waves of respawns. Effectively, especially with temporary buffs the team that wins the first encounter usually wins the game when you have 2 evenly matched teams.

The implications are so far reaching. Things like attacking, taming, and mounting a Wyvern or tree golems with a driver melee siege attacks and riders as "gunners" shooting lighting from gem turrets.

Love it!

This! Or less-exciting but still neat in a different way... Multi-man battering rams. Lead person "drives" (because having everyone move at the exact same time would be a headache), and the other have a sort of "hustle" powers bar that they have to coordinate to get the most power out of a given ram. 8P

Guess I'm looking to win, not go out in a blaze of glory because its not as much 'fun'. It is a siege and all, they historically aren't fun for either side. :P Also you didn't really answer anything for me, I would think there is a strategic reason to do it so I was wondering what it could be.

Yeah! Let's have the game client inject defending players with the plague and prevent them from eating food because it's all about real-life siegrs and in no way about fun!

Seriously though... I get what you mean about a strategic advantage. I think right now it's mostly just a facgor in winning. Are they taking down your walls pretty hard? Try to get a small assault time past them to take out their trees. Either they leave them alone and let you take out all three for a victory, or they re-allocate troops to defend the trees, giving you an advantage back at the keep defense.

I'm sure in the released game there will be much more to it, but right now it's just a raw mechanic to be tested.

Oh also... ALPHA GROUP 3, FORM RANKS! ^_^

Edited by Lephys

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Sounds very cool! Have the devs said anything about infiltration, pass wall, etc. skills that can get you in a keep prior to the walls falling? Really want to cause paranoia and havoc with my assassin. Can the current champ leap into a castle (or a knight pull someone)?

I would just imagine that the trees won't be relatively close to the siege area so I would expect, based off what we have heard so far but haven't actually played yet, that the best strategy would be to focus on the siege. Try to kill as many of them that are at your walls while taking pot shots to decrease the timer. Maybe send out a party to the siege tanks to take care of them of course but the focus would best be on the siege itself I'd imagine. I guess we shall see. I'm all for trying for the trees but I don't see the strategic advantage to them yet is all.

<Insert Witty Signature here>

Hm... It's interesting to think. Would it be a good idea to send out well-balanced teams of players to defend against the attackers? Should all Rangers and Confessors attack from atop the walls as a line of defense while the melee fighters sort themselves for a pure offensive? Who would best guard the walls from the ground? Who would do best to stay behind, the Knights? Champions? How should the Legionnaires be sorted, seeing as they're the only ones with heals? Maybe solid attack teams should be formed and go out while the rest stay behind and find the best defensive positions? Would it be best to guard the outer walls, or would letting the offensive beat on them a bit buy the center some time? Is there a way to repair them? Probably not yet, but if there is, it can't be easy to do for obvious reasons. It would have to take time and be easily countered should the attackers have no impediments to their ability to beat down on the defense.

Maybe instead of sending out the melee, they should defend the keep while the ranged fighters go out and punish the attackers with a select few melee fighters who are good at their job? Keep some Legionnaires around the Rangers and Confessors so that they can heal them whenever possible, buying them time to dish out as much damage as they can? Are the siege weapons particularly weak to fire or is that a mechanic to be added?

And then there are the attackers... Should they focus all their energies on one side, or attack them all? Should they focus on taking down all the walls first, or just make a hole and send everyone through it? Maybe distract the defenders with a hole, move the mechanisms and then make another hole on a different side to get more in. Or heck, maybe have the siege weapons focus on one side while everyone flanks the castle in hopes of getting in?

So. Much. HYPE! I wanna see how (and if) this works <3

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Agreed. It would be cool if in future versions of the test they add catapults for the defenders as well. (Maybe with a higher amount of attackers for balance.

Yup! plan is to get Ballista and other defensive vehicle style weapons on the walls as we continue tweaking.  We also want more offensive vehicles other than the catapults. (I'd even like a type of siege tower since we can make them mobile with the tech we have)

The Attacker Siege Tent will end up with vehicle building bays in future iterations where you can choose what mix of vehicles you build as the siege progresses. (We are shooting for a higher level of Strategy/Tactical adjustment available to the Siege Commanders) Different structures might fare better against catapults, so you need trebs or siege towers instead. Or even a type of vehicle that is designed for ripping down the magical wall barriers.

Of course it is always subject to change/be ripped out because it didn't do what we wanted it to do, but those are the ideas we have now and really want to play with them. 

Sounds very cool! Have the devs said anything about infiltration, pass wall, etc. skills that can get you in a keep prior to the walls falling? Really want to cause paranoia and havoc with my assassin. Can the current champ leap into a castle (or a knight pull someone)?

We have goals for many of these "behind the wall" styles of infiltration. The Knight has always been able to pull people off walls, will have to tune range when we get y'all in there. Champion right click Leap was "reverse chainpull" early in his development, where he threw out an axe and pulled himself to it (basically a reverse Knight pull) and we definitely wanted him to be able to mantle up and over walltops with it. Unfortunately we couldn't make it match what he needed, an instant gap closer. So it ended up back on the shelf until we need it. (It also might make a comeback someday in a Discipline)

I would just imagine that the trees won't be relatively close to the siege area so I would expect, based off what we have heard so far but haven't actually played yet, that the best strategy would be to focus on the siege. Try to kill as many of them that are at your walls while taking pot shots to decrease the timer. Maybe send out a party to the siege tanks to take care of them of course but the focus would best be on the siege itself I'd imagine. I guess we shall see. I'm all for trying for the trees but I don't see the strategic advantage to them yet is all.

It creates a side objective for powerful defense teams to end the battle early. It also means the attackers can't tunnel vision on the walls, and need to keep an eye on the Bane Trees. (As always we will see how it plays out!)

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook