Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Pre-Alpha 2.0: Siege Perilous overview - Official discussion thread

If I was Chaos, Id set up my siege in between the rear of the castle and the Order graveyard.  Id have my non ranged, catapult people continually camp the Order graveyard.

I wonder if they'll ever clarify the definition of siege from what is actually happening, storming.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I wonder if they'll ever clarify the definition of siege from what is actually happening, storming.

lol probably not because 99% of mmoers relate sieging with attacking and storming a castle.

But we can feel superior to the plebs who dont know whats actually happening ;)

I'm 99.9% sure they are Hunger Dome.

So you're telling me there's a chance 

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

how will the equipment management work? Can somebody just take out everything and hoard gear like in the Hunger Dome?

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

Blair,

Catapults and Trebuchets are not tanks.

They're not appropriate vessels for our crows either.

Because CF is a game, and 1 player could control a siege engine in SB, I'm fine with 1 player (instead of 20) controlling a siege engine from the outside.

But players should be vulnerable to anti-personnel attacks while we control those siege engines.

Yup! plan is to get Ballista and other defensive vehicle style weapons on the walls as we continue tweaking.  We also want more offensive vehicles other than the catapults. (I'd even like a type of siege tower since we can make them mobile with the tech we have)

The Attacker Siege Tent will end up with vehicle building bays in future iterations where you can choose what mix of vehicles you build as the siege progresses. (We are shooting for a higher level of Strategy/Tactical adjustment available to the Siege Commanders) Different structures might fare better against catapults, so you need trebs or siege towers instead. Or even a type of vehicle that is designed for ripping down the magical wall barriers.

Of course it is always subject to change/be ripped out because it didn't do what we wanted it to do, but those are the ideas we have now and really want to play with them. 

We have goals for many of these "behind the wall" styles of infiltration. The Knight has always been able to pull people off walls, will have to tune range when we get y'all in there. Champion right click Leap was "reverse chainpull" early in his development, where he threw out an axe and pulled himself to it (basically a reverse Knight pull) and we definitely wanted him to be able to mantle up and over walltops with it. Unfortunately we couldn't make it match what he needed, an instant gap closer. So it ended up back on the shelf until we need it. (It also might make a comeback someday in a Discipline)

Why attack bane trees (paraphrased)?

~ghen

It creates a side objective for powerful defense teams to end the battle early. It also means the attackers can't tunnel vision on the walls, and need to keep an eye on the Bane Trees. (As always we will see how it plays out!)

The chainpull mechanic lacks realism.

Both the puller and the pulled should be moved by this power, with the lighter toon pulled the most distance.

Reverse chainpull would be meaningless if you had a realistic knight's chainpull.

Also, you could create incentives for a defender to destroy 1 bane tree.

For instance, destroying a bane tree might double the respawn time for broken siege engines. Destroying the second might double it again.

Or you could devise an incentive that would carry over into real CWs after launch.

Would lumber from a Tree of Life or Bane Tree be especially valuable to crafters after launch?

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Catapults and Trebuchets are not tanks.

They're not appropriate vessels for our crows either.

I'm afraid I misunderstand these concerns. Have vehicles become vessels? Do we know that players would be protected from damage while controlling catapults, or other vehicles? That would be troubling, indeed.

Also, you could create incentives for a defender to destroy 1 bane tree.

For instance, destroying a bane tree might double the respawn time for broken siege engines. Destroying the second might double it again.

Or you could devise an incentive that would carry over into real CWs after launch.

These are interesting incentives, and if these mechanics work out, they could be a way to add layers of strategy and variation to sieges in CW's . Their are probably a lot of really interesting ways to make the bane trees more interesting. You're off to a good start here. 

Would lumber from a Tree of Life or Bane Tree be especially valuable to crafters after launch?

This is a really fun idea. I'd love to kill my enemies with a bow made from their own Tree. Try to bane us? We'll come after you and kill you with weapons made from your magic tree after you fail.

Can players on the Order team Steal the Siege vehicles if they can get to an empty one quick enough (like right when it respawns)????

Either find an empty one or kill the players out of one and take it over should both be things that can happen, IMO.

It is always comical when you kill a group in Hunger Dome and one corpse is loaded with all sorts of gear and the rest of his "team" are naked.

I always laugh when some pug on my team even grabs weapons they can't use.   Gives me confidence that my group will do well.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

I always laugh when some pug on my team even grabs weapons they can't use.   Gives me confidence that my group will do well.

IDK, whenever I play Legionnaire or Champion I keep getting their weapons mixed up. I'll see one and go "That looks like a Legionnaire pole-axe!" and it's a Champion greataxe, as well as vice-versa. Aside from those though, the rest shouldn't be too easy to mix up. Why a non-Confessor would loot a spell-book is beyond me, but I've seen it happen XD

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

It is always comical when you kill a group in Hunger Dome and one corpse is loaded with all sorts of gear and the rest of his "team" are naked.

A few ways to look at it for testing.

1. One is a vendor or replenishing / bottomless cop o' gear, which will get silly fast probably.
  2. The alternative is to allow gear to be treated as a limited resource. A zero-sum mini-game of sorts. Acquisition of gear necessarily excluding gear from your opponents.

Option 1 would have the benefit of allowing a realistic rally chance once a team is wiped assuming re-gearing can be done fast and centrally and that the spawn point can't be effectively camped. If option 2 is used I see matches potentially being over fairly fast, depending on the amount of gear available, the ease of re-gearing after death for rally purposes and team size. Basically the first to wipe the other once wins type thing. At least potentially.

A few ways to look at it for testing.

1. One is a vendor or replenishing / bottomless cop o' gear, which will get silly fast probably.
  2. The alternative is to allow gear to be treated as a limited resource. A zero-sum mini-game of sorts. Acquisition of gear necessarily excluding gear from your opponents.

Option 1 would have the benefit of allowing a realistic rally chance once a team is wiped assuming re-gearing can be done fast and centrally and that the spawn point can't be effectively camped. If option 2 is used I see matches potentially being over fairly fast, depending on the amount of gear available, the ease of re-gearing after death for rally purposes and team size. Basically the first to wipe the other once wins type thing. At least potentially.

I would think some kind of quickly respawning/refreshing chests would be the best way I think. No need to overthink it, should just be able to grab some gear, put it on and go. Let the actual game mode features be the limiting factors and such.

how will the equipment management work? Can somebody just take out everything and hoard gear like in the Hunger Dome?

Don't worry about equipment availability, there are armor and weapon racks for both teams that you can F to interact with and will issue each player 1 set of stuff per life.  

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook