Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Pre-Alpha 2.0: Siege Perilous overview - Official discussion thread

How would you know Cool? You're always in TS calling for someone else to type something to tell the pugs where to rally!

When and where I grew up we were told typing class was for "sissies" and the ladies.

Then I went into a profession where I have to type all the time. With 2 fingers.

Go figure.

When and where I grew up we were told typing class was for "sissies" and the ladies.

Then I went into a profession where I have to type all the time. With 2 fingers.

Go figure.

Which begs the question, when and where did you grow up?

The sticks of Tennessee in the 70s.

I took 2 typing classes, the first in 8th grade and the 2nd in 10th grade. I think the 8th grade class was required, or was part of a group of classes of which a certain number were required. But that was the 80s also, and the NJ suburbs outside NYC.

Are we really having a conversation about voice chat?  Join a good guild that uses a chat program.  If you don't join/make a good guild you probably won't make much of a mark in any MMO.  They are mmo's because they require more then 1 person,  Even playing right now, I bounce to different guilds teamspeak servers and communicate with many other guilds.  

Well I wanted to take about siege mechanics going forward, but people evidently didn't want to have that conversation, so we got stuck with this crap instead.

Are we really having a conversation about voice chat?  Join a good guild that uses a chat program.  If you don't join/make a good guild you probably won't make much of a mark in any MMO.  They are mmo's because they require more then 1 person,  Even playing right now, I bounce to different guilds teamspeak servers and communicate with many other guilds.  

How can you (and others in this very thread) be so completely blind to reason! 

Lets forget about the fact you're basically saying "screw you" to every player who doesn't play like you.... how about the fact you are oblivious to YOUR OWN ACTIONS!

You just said you hop around to multiple guilds, multiple voice chat programs , with passwords and voip access keys etc all to communicate with people in game.... and yet you scoff at the idea of having a straight forward in game, simple fast readily available system that would save time and effort for you and every one else.

/facepalm

While we're throwing out stupid Ideas... I would like if they removed the ability to use the N key in game, especially for naming pupouses... I dont use the letter N in my name so we clearly dont need it. I use other programs like note pad and word that let me use that key so I dont think we should have it In Crowfall

oh wait, would that be stupid? should we be trying to make the game better and not thinking only about ourselves?

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

How can you (and others in this very thread) be so completely blind to reason! 

Lets forget about the fact you're basically saying "screw you" to every player who doesn't play like you.... how about the fact you are oblivious to YOUR OWN ACTIONS!

You just said you hop around to multiple guilds, multiple voice chat programs , with passwords and voip access keys etc all to communicate with people in game.... and yet you scoff at the idea of having a straight forward in game, simple fast readily available system that would save time and effort for you and every one else.

/facepalm

While we're throwing out stupid Ideas... I would like if they removed the ability to use the N key in game, especially for naming pupouses... I dont use the letter N in my name so we clearly dont need it. I use other programs like note pad and word that let me use that key so I dont think we should have it In Crowfall

oh wait, would that be stupid? should we be trying to make the game better and not thinking only about ourselves?

You obviously are looking for a fight....Wasting resources on a built in voice chat program is stupidity at its best....I merely pointed out there are ways to achieve this without the dev team wasting time putting development time into a useless feature that is done better by an outside program.  

Maybe they should remove the Z from name creation, then you would be known as "I", you seem to have an identity problem and appear to be trying to find your voice...

Edited by Nakawe

#1 You obviously are looking for a fight....Wasting resources on a built in voice chat program is stupidity at its best....I merely pointed out there are ways to achieve this without the dev team wasting time putting development time into a useless feature that is done better by an outside program.  

#2 Maybe they should remove the Z from name creation, then you would be known as "I", you seem to have an identity problem and appear to be trying to find your voice...

#1 nothing in your post had anything to do with the devs "wasting time" it was how every one should do what you do because you do it that way and thats the way it should be done

#2 doesnt even make sense

MOkvLlm.png

Nor did you hyperbole about in game chat programs....

I happen to agree that at least in this point in development in-game voice chat would be a waste of resources and content is much more important...

...but given that some (read: half of the initial planned ones at present) of the campaign worlds will be team-based in a way that isn't guild related, and a vast majority of the guilds will likely be in The Shadow or The Dregs, I don't think having in-game voice chat is the -worst- idea I've heard, by a long shot. It's not always easy to convince randoms to join a curse/discord/TS/mumble/whatever server.

Edited by Real Salt

#1 nothing in your post had anything to do with the devs "wasting time" it was how every one should do what you do because you do it that way and thats the way it should be done

#2 doesnt even make sense

Well if it was only him saying in game voice was a waste of time or can be done with joining guilds and groups that use 3rd party voice comms then sure. Pretty much everyone who opposes in game voice chat does so because its seen as a waste of time and resources for a feature that can be better accomplished with 3rd party voice software.

Edited by pang

Wow, the voice-chat arguing has taken up way more pages than I thought it would. Could we all agree that creating an in-game voice chat is not in the cards AT THE MOMENT but if it were added in the game later on it would be beneficial to some while others stick to TS and such? Seeing as no devs have come on to confirm/deny anything regarding voice chat (unless I missed a post), I'm assuming they are purposely avoiding the topic because they don't quite know where they stand on the issue. Money is a problem and even those who want voice chat recognize this. I agree that, for now, all their focus should be on the core game. If voice chat is part of the core game then WOOHOO! If it's not, then there is a slight possibility of it being added later, and if they don't, then I guess we're using a (hopefully) fully functional text-chat, which is all anyone really needs for basic communication.

Core game = highest priority.

Adding Voice Chat would be awesome, but is not necessary.

Did we switch to arguing over Voice Chat because people are really passionate about it or because people have run out of things to say on Siege Perilous? Because I'm amazed more hasn't been said about the fact that we can start to utterly destroy keeps in an MMO and we're finally going to test out the mechanics of that. Oh, speaking of which: will the ability to repair objects be appearing anywhere in this test, or will all the machines just spawn, be used, be destroyed and then respawn? I know this is how it'll be in the beginning, but will it be that way for the entirety of Siege Perilous or just the start, leading the way towards gear-repair and therefore opening the door for crafting information, seeing as they are connected, at least to an extent?

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Adding voice could be a relatively quick setup too since they are using Unity. For all we know there are some great plug-ins available for it if Unity doesn't native support it. There is also software like C3 that lets you add it. EVE and Mechwarrior Online have used it in the past. It was OK in EVE, not sure about MWO. But I agree that it shouldn't be a high priority.

<Insert Witty Signature here>

Good grief, I had no idea a wishful though to make the sieges more effective and realistic to what would occur in the final game would cause such a stir.

Originally I was thinking of ACE having their own voice server (say TeamSpeak) with a bunch of channels. When the players load into the test match, ACE would automatically send a message to each team's members stating the server IP, Port, and the channel your group was assigned to. That way (after the first time)  you could just switch channels while waiting for your match to being. I was not thinking of integrated voice chat should come before completing the core game features.

But yeah, get the game up and running and built in voice chat would be a nice plus maybe some day. Some like Landmark/EQ Next allow you to hear and talk to others close to you as part of the game.

Now please, back to siege issues.

------------------------------------------------------------

And I believe ACE already mentioned somewhere that wall/tree "healing" was not in the initial siege testing. But since this is the spiritual successor to ShadowBane, I'd be shocked if it didn't get added in as some point.

Well if it was only him saying in game voice was a waste of time or can be done with joining guilds and groups that use 3rd party voice comms then sure. Pretty much everyone who opposes in game voice chat does so because its seen as a waste of time and resources for a feature that can be better accomplished with 3rd party voice software.

To be fair, everyone's really only opposing it as a priority. If the dev team happened to slay an evil office saboteur and looted an in-game voice chat system (why was he carrying this?!) off of his corpse, I don't know if anyone would object to implementing it then. 8)

In all seriousness, I can't rightly say there's not a level of funding they could reach at which putting this in before launch (or or ever) would be feasible. But, yeah... It's definitely not a priority. Would be nice to have, though.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

We Own your BALLS!, I mean Walls, but using Balls to Take Down your Walls!

" There are Times in your Life you need a Change, but there are also Times in your Life you need sit down and play MMORPG's with Friends and Strangers. This is what we call a Massive Social Behavior that comes from within our Computers, TV's and Gaming Consoles. " R U Ready to FIGHT?!

So the only benefit chaos gain from defending trees is not losing and chaos has to both defend and destroy?

I never thought about it like that...but are we supposed to gain or lose to just create chaos? I...I mean "they" ha...  :huh:

I role play a wordsmith.