Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Pre-Alpha 1.3: Enter the Ranger - Official discussion thread

I cant believe people are still not using the shield...

Confessors already have the best mobility, and they have the advantage of range. For the most part, knights and champs need to stay within 5 yards of the target to be effective.

Thing is, if the Confessor is forced to move, she doesnt do anything else.

They have the better range of course, but their big strength is the damage they can deal to a group, wich requires them to get in close. Also, they need to keep their range to survive against you, simply because knight and champion are stronger in melee.

And 1vs1, im not even sure if the Confessor can get away from a knight anymore. The Confessor can use the dash two times (with a delay in between if im correct), und use her i-frame. The knight can negate the dashes by charging after the first and pulling the Confessor back after the second, and simply follow the Confessor when she uses her i-frame.

While she is just running he can follow and use the left click to slow and slowly kill her (yes I know the slow is on the third attack, but you can stay on target now).

If she stays to fight you just block against her high damage abilities and kill her.

For me, the knight is the guy who can hold his ground, control enemies that are close to him, dominate the melee with a few high impact easy to dodge abilities, and has some limited capabilities to keep enemies from fleeing so his allies can kill them (namely close the gap with charge+stun or chainpull, and the ability to bodyblock any movement ability). He basicly is a support. In 1vs1 it is enough to be able to kill almost anyone who comes to the knight and tries to fight him on his terms. Chasing people alone is one of the things he can not do, and in my opinion should not be able to do.

There is a reason we dont have much mobility: enemies must be able to avoid melee with us, or we can make sure to only where we are strongest.

Never bring a gun to a knifefight is a knight is your enemy.

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

And 1vs1, im not even sure if the Confessor can get away from a knight anymore. The Confessor can use the dash two times (with a delay in between if im correct), und use her i-frame. The knight can negate the dashes by charging after the first and pulling the Confessor back after the second, and simply follow the Confessor when she uses her i-frame.

While she is just running he can follow and use the left click to slow and slowly kill her (yes I know the slow is on the third attack, but you can stay on target now).

If she stays to fight you just block against her high damage abilities and kill her.

This assumes that the knight and the confessor begin combat in melee range, but that isn't likely to be the case. More likely, they will start at range and the knight will have to use either Pursuit or Chain Pull to close the gap. So when the confessor uses dash/i-frame, the knight's abilities may be on cooldown. The confessor also has her stun in addition to her movement abilities, plus, as you pointed out, she can do significant damage up close. So she has lots of options for dealing with a knight in melee range. Block is great, but stamina doesn't last forever, especially if sprint was used to catch the confessor in the first place.

Does this change make it easier for knights to stay in melee range against a confessor? Absolutely. Does this change make it impossible for confessors to escape melee range against a knight? Absolutely not. And none of this accounts for group tactics, where an ally might peel the knight off the confessor.

All this change means is that confessors will have to use their abilities to get away, instead of simply running away.

Does this change make it easier for knights to stay in melee range against a confessor? Absolutely. Does this change make it impossible for confessors to escape melee range against a knight? Absolutely not. And none of this accounts for group tactics, where an ally might peel the knight off the confessor.

All this change means is that confessors will have to use their abilities to get away, instead of simply running away.

You and I can test this in the next Hunger Dome session. I expect you're right, but we'll know for sure soon.

Personally, it doesn't feel to me like the Knight gained a marked advantage over the Confessor (or any other archetype, frankly).   The biggest change is that I can get a few good hits on people before they run away, and that is 100% less frustrating.

(...but, hey, that's just my opinion.  You guys put it through the paces and tell me what you think.)

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

You and I can test this in the next Hunger Dome session. I expect you're right, but we'll know for sure soon.

For sure. Theorycraft is great, but we need to see how it actually plays out.

Personally, it doesn't feel to me like the Knight gained a marked advantage over the Confessor (or any other archetype, frankly).   The biggest change is that I can get a few good hits on people before they run away, and that is 100% less frustrating.

(...but, hey, that's just my opinion.  You guys put it through the paces and tell me what you think.)

Todd

ACE

I'm personally a fan of every archetype being able to basic attack on the move, even confessors and other ranged based archetypes (although perhaps with a severe movement penalty). Having everyone stand still and basic attack looks and feels corny, and it's especially apparent with the legionnaire (hopefully he can gets more mobility freedom while attacking soon).

Edited by helix

Todd

ACE

I didn't get to fight a confessor during the test, but I'm sure their dash/i-frame will give them all the distance they need to pack up their books and start running (provide my pursuit and chain pull abilities are on CD as a knight). It seemed like there was a marked decrease in movement speed while in combat stance. This change, combined with the attack-while-moving change, allowed me to stay on a fleeing target until it dropped. If anyone tries to run from a Knight or a Champion, after they've committed to melee/close range combat, they'll likely pay a price for deciding to disengage without the use of some movement ability.

I like it. Fleeing/Kiting/Escaping is still possible, but it won't be the primary, at-will, tactic for avoiding damage altogether.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

As I said I will be happy to be proven wrong, and I certainly dont want to judge too much before trying it.

Additionally, the basic attacks dont do that much really. Thinking about it I never considered it a thread to anyone.

Probably you are right and this wont change as much as I first thought, but on paper it makes me concerned to give the movement on the basic attack only to some archetypes, and the ones where I personaly think it does not fit.

edit: also I dont know how fast we are moving while attacking, if we are slower that might help as well.

Edited by Metauriel

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Glad you guys are taking your time to do stuff right.  Looks like another few weeks before 2.0 being the 1.3 is week after next (according to the calendar).  Really anxious to play!

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Glad you guys are taking your time to do stuff right.  Looks like another few weeks before 2.0 being the 1.3 is week after next (according to the calendar).  Really anxious to play!

I don't think the calendar is accurate. They said just yesterday that 1.3 would be this week and that 2.0 would still begin by the end of the month. Unless something has happened between yesterday and today, that should still be true.

So does that mean the Frostweaver is going to be full on ranged so that we have one mid ranged magic dps class and one long-ranged dps class. Or are they still going to be mid-ranged casters (judging from their weapon in the concept art). I wouldn't mind if they became melee magc dps either...

I think the plan is to have spell caster base classes be short-mid range with promotions than can increase their max or more plainly fit them into a preferred distance. Might see a confessor promotion based around diving into enemies blowing their combo's for quick dirty damage or CC while their team sweeps in behind them to clean up.

Landmimes, the silent killer.

I think the plan is to have spell caster base classes be short-mid range with promotions than can increase their max or more plainly fit them into a preferred distance. Might see a confessor promotion based around diving into enemies blowing their combo's for quick dirty damage or CC while their team sweeps in behind them to clean up.

Well, since all armor can be worn by all Archetypes, I would hope so. Mostly because if there is a Promotion for Confessors to be more close-range DPS, then I hope to see Confessors wearing plate armor charging with the front lines, ready to blow s*** up.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

For sure. Theorycraft is great, but we need to see how it actually plays out.

THERE IS NO EMPIRICAL DATA! ONLY ZU...err... THEORYCRAFT!

8)

I expect you guys'll find a few things that need tweaking, but it probably won't be much more out-of-whack than that.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Todd

ACE

Probably situational. To my recollection a Knight has never been able to  come close to catching me on a Fessor before, much less kill me, aside from wall pulls, etc. They were certainly irritating before, which is how they were used when used well.

Last night Arkade (who plays a very solid Knight) caught me in the little tunnel under the stairs and between the dizzy down (which I hate), his stun / pull, was able to fairly easily beat the snot out of me. I actually thought I had to be bugged because you can't see anything at all when you're in that tunnel. Just knew I couldn't move and went from almost full to dead in short order, 1 on 1.

I don't think any particular change does it, but all of the Fessor nerfs to range and dps (and it was a big nerf to DPS), combined with the buffs to Knight and Champ and dizzy down, make the Fessor feel far less effective. Still mobile-ish, but dizzy down needs something. 

Stacking sin did not seem to increase the (negligible) damage of consume wickedness or whatever the 4 key is called in my testing either. 2kish with, 2kish without. I'll test further today once this server comes up, but Fessor DPS sure seems very unlike a DPS class to me, which is what I think it is intended to be.

The Ranger will rock at sieges I think, but right now it's kind of vulnerable in the open field. I think that's probably fine and players will learn to use them very well soon I'd imagine.

edit: confirmed today stacking sin does not increase the damage of the Fessor "4" in any respect. For me anyway. ~2k damage with no book (which was impossible to equip both last night and today) with or without stacks of sin.

Edited by coolwaters

is there a list anywhere laying out the 

minimum system requirements for running the game?

was first test for me this weekend and i think my comp is just outta date 

specifically my video card sat a t 4-6 fps so any help here would be much appreciated

Edited by thejanitor

is there a list anywhere laying out the 

minimum system requirements for running the game?

was first test for me this weekend and i think my comp is just outta date 

specifically my video card sat a t 4-6 fps so any help here would be much appreciated

From Facebook: "... 64 bit Windows OS, 8GB memory, 3d card with 2GB and shader 5.0, and dual CPUs (i-5 or better) at the current stage of testing."

Here's a thread that could possibly help you getting higher FPS: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11338-frame-rate-issues-tips-to-improve-fps/

The developers probably have just started optimizing the client so we should expect better performances later in the development.  :)

ya i tried that post already crow thanks though i dont have crowfall selectable  where it says "select a program to customize"

By clicking on "add" you should be able to manually add a program to this list. You will have to browse to and select the Crowfall client. Its location will depend on where you installed it. For example mine is: C:\Users\usager\Desktop\CrowfallUpdate_Release_1.1\CFTest\CrowfallClient.exe

aid_2615_4.jpg

aid_2615_5.jpg

Here's the tutorial on Nvidia website: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F

thank you courant101 i was able to add and will try to adjust setting in next test. though my number 2 option shows different dialog what are the key things i want (on) for the crowfall client?

now if only i could log into a server to see if settings worked.......

ace....

tyrant....

Edited by thejanitor