Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caenth

Kickstarter Community

I was browsing through Kickstarter just a moment ago. It had been a while since I last visited and I noticed a new (?) feature on the completed project pages called Community I haven't seen before. It shows a list of top cities & -countries, some other stats and a roll call. So I checked the Crowfall page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/community.

The roll call is nice, it highlights some backers we know pretty well in this community, including yours truly, Daworf and Courant101 (at least it shows me these people, but I can imagine this could be different for everybody). But the most important new piece of info for me are the top lists since we didn't have any real info about this yet. At least not that I know off.

For convenience sake I will list them here as well.

Top Cities

Austin - United States - 391 backers
London - United Kingdom - 220 backers
Los Angeles - United States - 180 backers
San Francisco - United States - 174 backers
Seattle - United States - 148 backers
Sydney - Australia - 144 backers
Melbourne - Australia - 131 backers
Toronto - Canada - 125 backers
Brisbane - Australia - 113 backers
Houston - United States - 113 backers

Top Countries
United States - 10,309 backers
Canada - 1,128 backers
United Kingdom - 1,043 backers
Australia - 578 backers
Germany - 517 backers
France - 495 backers
Sweden - 288 backers
Denmark - 187 backers
Netherlands - 163 backers
Norway - 148 backers

I leave it up to you to come up with some interesting data or stats you can derive from this, but the amount of backers from the US is huge in comparison with countries from Europe and Asia. I didn't realize this difference was this big. I knew the US was very well presented, but I thought Europe was at least 25-50% of that.

Guess we Europeans have some work to do to promote Crowfall, although a lot of this data probably already changed a lot during the last year.

Enjoy.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Nice thread! Cool seeing that type of stuff. :)

I'm still sad I missed out on the Kickstarter. I honestly didn't even hear about the game until I randomly googled, "games like shadowbane". Which I've done every year or so since SB closed.  Until one day I saw this:

4U3wMEF.png

I was like, hang on, what the hell is this? Crowfall?... I've seen those other games, but not this Crowfall thing. Then I read more and backed right away.

Ohhhh those delicious looking Kickstarter rewards, makes me envious. Wish they didn't strip the rewards down so much. It's like 1k to get some of an Amber Kickstarter haha.

I knew the US was very well presented, but I thought Europe was at least 25-50% of that.

To be fair a good portion of EU pledged during kickstarter on crowfall.com directly with paypal**, if you remember it was a big problem at the beginning.

While others didn't even know about the possibility, so they came later on and pledged after the KS.

Crowdfunding in general is more spread in the US while EU has its own Indiegogo..

Despite all that, on kickstarter alone ~25% of the backers is european (we also have to assume that many EU countries with ~100 backers are there after norway, like Italy, Spain, Greece...), since 12015 backers are from US, Canada and Australia, while 2841 from EU countries listed, and maybe half a thousand from non listed.

**I think something around ~50k was gained through paypal, so with an average of 100$ each we should add other <500 backers.

So yeah, EU contributed for something like 30% (or more now that it's more like a preorder), which is pretty much the percentage Gordon gave us.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

To be fair a good portion of EU pledged during kickstarter on crowfall.com directly with paypal**, if you remember it was a big problem at the beginning.

Yeah, I totally forgot about the payment issues for some without creditcards! It's not very common for people to have one here.

I didn't want to do math so late in the middle of the night, but glad you did. 30% is not bad, but if we want ACE to self-publish we need to do a bit better I think.

But like I said, a lot has probably changed since last year and they even hired Andreas Weidenhaupt, the European advisor. Would love to hear an update regarding these numbers from ACE (and Andreas) in a Founder's Update.

ZCcquVD.png

I hadn't seen this new feature, thanks Canth!  Right after the Kickstarter we only had info on the people who had pledged for a package with the Collector's Edition (i.e. shipping charges). 

Actually our overall outside-of-Kickstarter backing percentages when I checked them in February were that 17.6% of the backing $ were from European countries.  The percentage was increasing month-to-month though (more recent months were over 20%, but never close to 30%).

Europeans don't crowdfund at the same percentages as in the USA/Canada (from every source we've talked to).  Some of this is due to payment issues I'm sure, and the fact we don't have VAT-included market pricing.

I'd imagine we'll do an update about Europe sometime late next month.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Europeans don't crowdfund at the same percentages as in the USA/Canada (from every source we've talked to).  Some of this is due to payment issues I'm sure, and the fact we don't have VAT-included market pricing.

I can see VAT not being included being an issue. It's a nasty surprise when you see the price suddenly rise because of taxes. I haven't ordered some things in the past as well because of the extra VAT and shipping. Sometimes the differences between advertised and 'shopping card' price is too big. We're not used to that here.

I'm looking forward to hear more about your plans for Europe next month.  :)

ZCcquVD.png

I can see VAT not being included being an issue. It's a nasty surprise when you see the price suddenly rise because of taxes. I haven't ordered some things in the past as well because of the extra VAT and shipping. Sometimes the differences between advertised and 'shopping card' price is too big. We're not used to that here.

I'm looking forward to hear more about your plans for Europe next month.  :)

VAT was a bit surprising to me when I finally backed... I haven't been in Europe for that long, and the VAT surprise was rather unsettling.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the plans for Europe as well. 

While others didn't even know about the possibility, so they came later on and pledged after the KS.

I understand this more, than anyone else. I heard about Crowfall on May 2015 and I took a fancy to it. But, I from Russia... It is a great problem - we didn't have a large payment choise compared to US (but now we have Yandex, thats well) and the price is quite high for us.

I don't have a good feeling about this. I must confess, this is the first time i am feeling a bit worried in this place.

And thanks for this summary Canth.

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Slightly related, am I no longer able to increase my Kickstarter pledge?

I want to move up to a higher tier but don't want to lose my Kickstarter privileges.

Also I did redeem my packages, so I guess I'm SOL?