Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gonfalone

How much are you invested in this game?

This is the first time I "invested" money in a project besides the default purchase price,

it's funny that I stumbled upon crowfall with the news of EQ next officially being cancelled.

Initially the pvp aspect scared me a bit, now I've played a few matches and I had some fun and frustration,

I'm hoping things will work out.

I'm honeslty a bit afraid things might go sour, with pvp combat being central. Me, I'm more the easy going crafter,

and very fast combat can be a bit much for me, but that doesn't mean combat should be "nerved" just for me.

I don't mind being the crafter that only joins combat as "bait", if that means my team can win and rez me,

and I can finish building that keep or whatever... if combat remains slower like it is now, I even see myself enjoying the pvp part.

I really hope devs and players can find a balance so combat is fun enough for the hardcore killers,

and still not so fast that I instantly die the moment I have to play "bait" :D

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

I am really invested in this game because i have played many mmos and made many friends and for me it is just an amazing experience to have and it's kind just something to get me away from real life, but for the past few months i left WoW and GW2 and just kinda stopped playing mmos and once i saw crowfall i thought wow the devs are really invested in this and the community is great so i gave it a shot and so far it is great.

(sorry if it got a little deep at some parts lol  :) )

Emotionally? Enough to follow it and make a few posts for fun. Financially? About 35$, and that's as far as I'm going until I play the game and like it. Unfortunately I do not have so many dollars that I would want to put forward a "serious investment" quantity for a project I feel is likely to let me down.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it doesn't, but I've now watched the development of 4 different hyped MMOs with excitement and all 4 managed to disappoint more than I thought possible, even after the first 2 of those made me re-evaluate my expectations. I figure the best course is to have none.

I figured this thread could use a cooler~

I think it's pretty telling, reading the responses in this thread, that an entire generation of MMO players is basically ready to walk.

I'm in the same boat with many of you.  Crowfall and Camelot Unchained are it.  If one of those 2 don't work out, I'll likely be done with the genre.

Part of it is just the reality of being 33, having a career and a family and knowing that as time goes on my availability to really commit to an MMO dwindles.

Most of it, is that since Dark Age of Camelot and Shadowbane, I've been woefully uninspired by any MMOs that have come out.

WoW had it's time when it was fun, but as the years went on, it catered to a much different crowd and was IMMENSELY successful, which unfortunately led to the poisoning of the MMO market as everyone chased the WoW-factor (get it?).

As it stands, I'm nearly all in on Crowfall.  I'll check on CU if Crowfall fails to do it for me, but my focus (and money) is here.

2s922vm.png

Chapter Leader

Well right now I am sitting at 100.00 into this game and have yet to play it yet. The beta testings times have been a tad early on all the accounts and I am only Alpha 3. That being said I have never been so involved in a game that has yet to release nor have I played. I find myself checking for any updates/news 2-3 times a day, just cant get enough of it.

So where are we now with MMO's? Simple no where. MMOs of today lack soul they are nothing like UO or Shadowbane, you die no big deal just res and try it again... and again... and again, reminds me of the definition of insanity. What made UO so great is they guy across from you has just as much to lose as you, if not more depending on what he is running. It was that fear/risk vs reward that made the game so much fun. So back to my question, where are we now... with the exception of maybe CU Crowfall is it... Really name another MMO now or on the horizon that is risk vs reward where you actually care about your character (Albion does not count since they are slowly going away from risk vs reward and group play)

In short, like the majority of people here, without Crowfall mmo's are doomed

Althagus 

Edited by Althagus

I used to own a plot in Horizons, with silo's filled with resources.

I vaguely remember feeding tons of jewels to a dragon to increase it's hoard.

I briefly installed soul and blade,

I read an official cancellation of Next.

I'm catching some nostalgia in EQ2.

I'm trying to be reborn a crow.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

Emotional investment: High

Financial Investment: Substantial

Time Investment: Too much?

Is this game the be all end all in MMOs? No. There is more I'd want in an MMO. However, there looks to be enough of the things that are important to me namely player impact, social bonds via interplayer dependencies, permanency, and to a lessor degree exploration.

Since UO I've always found it strange that no one has taken those ideals and principals to the next level. Seeing games like SB & SWG have potential yet be plagued with technical and businesses woes became frustrating.

Even though CF isn't the second coming of my MMO life I still feel my investment is worth it because I have enjoyed the last year of development and can't wait for it all to come together and jump into that FIRST campaign!

Played MANY mmos, starting with EQ. Been completely disillusioned with them and now have a severe hate-on for WoW after they ditched any semblance of content for a never ending hamsterwheel gear grind.

I have a significant amount invested in Star Citizen, over 1k. That game is shaping up to be amazing. But it does not scratch the itch I sometimes get to plow an axe into someone's face and find mountains of gold pieces.

Got the Amber package. I don't think I have invested in a game as quickly as I did this one. Within 5-10 minutes of reading and seeing what all was in this game, I absolutely had to toss in my support.

I was super disappointed when Daybreak took over SOE and they got rid of Dave Georgeson. That guy was the heart and soul of Landmark.
And with this game, I see elements of Landmark, but without all the wacky tools, and much better, more focused gameplay

Edited by Wyldstar

I was super disappointed when Daybreak took over SOE and they got rid of Dave Georgeson. That guy was the heart and soul of Landmark.

I don't want to nitpick or go off-topic (but, I still do), but Columbus Nova (an investment company) took over SOE and renamed itself to Daybreak. It's a difference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_Game_Company

I agree about Dave though.  :)

Welcome to the community!

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Im still playing WoW. I was really into the concept of this game and dropped 200$ to help see it come alive.

After watching the combat (melee self-rooting themselves with special attacks) Ive lost about 90% of my interest.

Ive played melee classes almost exclusively for over 12 years because i like instant attacks and mobility while attacking, I dont know that I will end up playing this game unless a 180 degree turn is made with the combat system.

Im still playing WoW. I was really into the concept of this game and dropped 200$ to help see it come alive.

After watching the combat (melee self-rooting themselves with special attacks) Ive lost about 90% of my interest.

Ive played melee classes almost exclusively for over 12 years because i like instant attacks and mobility while attacking, I dont know that I will end up playing this game unless a 180 degree turn is made with the combat system.

I used to tell some of the less-experienced pvpers that only played shadowbane and the like that this game and its combat would have to be at least as fast as WoW to make it in today's market... Right now we aren't there yet.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Having played the pre-alpha for some time now, I'm quite pleased with the way the combat feels. The less frantic, more deliberate feel to the combat can be just as impactful and enjoyable as a more fast paced system. The current feel of the game derives from several factors including movement speed, animation locks, and "time to kill" (TTK). The movement speed settings are largely the way they are because of the animation lock feature. We had animation locks AND faster movement speed, which enabled people to just avoid damage before instantly returning to the fight. This development was undesired and simply wasn't fun. Your problem with the speed of combat can be reduced down to the animation locks as the core issue. The addition of moving while using basic attacks for the Knight and Champion was an excellent improvement, but I'm not sure they'll approach special attacks in exactly the same way. They've suggested that there might be movement components added to some of the combos, which may do something to alleviate the problem further, but right now the solution seems to be slowing the pace of combat movement speed.

I'd suggest giving players a slightly longer window in which to execute "combo steps". If I wish to use my (4,4,4) ability on my Knight, I could hit 4 once, move a little closer to a moving enemy, hit 4 again, follow the fleeing enemy and hit 4 a final time when I think I'm in range. This might allow movement speed to be sped up across the board, so long as the penalties for being engaged while "out-of-combat" were retained. Basically, the "feel" would be faster, but you'd still be able to keep up with a fleeing enemy.

"Time to kill" is separate issue which is informed by the game's focus on Guild vs. Guild warfare and the possibility of FFA pvp and corpse looting. Simply, the devs don't want players to drop too quickly in a game where their equipment may be on the line. Additionally, they seem to be balancing the combat around group play as opposed to solo play. The additional "time to kill" incentivizes the use of coordinated "focus fire" by an organized group to bring down targets in a prompt manner. Trying to bring down a target by yourself can definitely make the game feel "slow paced", but when you're part of an organized group fighting another organized group, the feeling is much improved.

That's probably the most important point to remember when you're comparing Crowfall's combat to other games. Instead of comparing two or more combat systems in a vaccum, try to remember the major micro and macro level differences between those games as a whole. Combat in games like World of Warcraft may feel more "fast paced", but ultimately one is left without a sense of real accomplishment or catharsis after defeating an opponent. In a battleground your enemies will just respawn in a minute and come running back at you. In an Arena your opponent doesn't respawn, but the whole scenario is contrived and sterile. There's no build up to the fight and no possibility of outside interference.

Crowfall may be less frantic and more deliberate, but I think a battle in this game will end up being far more memorable, impactful and exciting for the players involved than anything seen in most other MMOs. First there's the risk of losing hard earned assets and resources as a consequence of defeat. Your ore and lumber, your fortress, or even your gear may be on the line. The open world combined with the a diverse political landscape are deeply important factors to consider as well. An attack could come from any direction, from any group of players, and when a team has been cleared from they can't just respawn thirty seconds away and hop back into the fight- they're wiped. Your group engaging another group could be just what that third group was waiting for before they roll in and wipe out both of you. Finally there's the drama and pride that goes along with these sorts of competitions. The group you are about to engage could be a crew of major board warriors who've been running their mouths for the last week and a half- you feel inclined to teach them a lesson! All of these factors fit together to make a battle in slow, deliberate Crowfall far more exciting and pulse pounding than even the fastest battleground, arena or MOBA match.

Soul, what about Darkfall?

Personally, I though Darkfall's combat was overly twitchy and sped up, sort of like knife fighting in CS. The time to kill seemed to be much lower than CF's is now in most cases, which sort of lends itself to a large number of 1v1s instead of actual, coordinated team-play. Ultimately, I think the slower pace of combat is the right way to go, and I think most people who aren't happy with it now will eventually learn to like it once they've experienced it under the right circumstances.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I was fully invested from the start, but now that I have played the pre-alpha (I know it doesn't even closely resemble the final product) I'm iffy. Although I enjoy the style and ideas in the game, gameplay wise it just wasn't very fun for me. Combat just didn't work out. It's clunky, not as responsive as I'd like and generally doesn't feel good to play. Even the massive hit attacks don't feel like they do enough and fights are more awkward than intense. Yesterday for example I spent a good five minutes running around the keep with a knight following me and he just couldn't catch up but when he did I knew I couldn't melee him (as a ranger). It seemed less awesome and more weird and disorganized.

I don't want to curse out artcraft and be mad at them (I still trust them) but the game I backed isn't really there yet. Even artistically I feel they took a step back. The Ranger, Druid and Champion don't really look like their concepts and although "okay" not as good as the original archetypes. I like the game but I feel recently artcraft has been building a boat with a  hole on the bottom level no one is going address more than saying "Oh I'll fix it" and just lightly putting duck tape over it. (That was a metaphor for combat FYI)

Well I bought a pretty hefty package at 170 bucks.  I come to this site everyday to look for new news posts.  I comment on the videos ACE posts on YouTube.  I try to test the game out as much as I can and leave feedback.

I'd say I'm 100% invested in this game.

This is the one and only Kickstarter I ever invested in.  Much of that was due to the celestial conjunction of former UO and Shadowbane developers along with the estimable Raph Koster.

If Crowfall succeeds, as we all hope, it could breathe fresh air into the MMO genre.

No pressure ACE, really...

I used to tell some of the less-experienced pvpers that only played shadowbane and the like that this game and its combat would have to be at least as fast as WoW to make it in today's market... Right now we aren't there yet.

Its not even just todays market  for combat...

I played a rogue in Everquest I, that was, i dont know, 14 years ago?

I was never self-rooted in combat because I used my abilities to attack someone. I was able to strafe around to their back to use positional attacks (backstab) and the flow of combat was seemless (and enjoyable).

If I wanted to root myself when I attacked I would play a caster type class and have long ranged attacks.

Seriously? You are still going about that? It is not wise to piss off a whole section of forum users before the game even is live...