Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

UI Update: What's new, what's coming - Official discussion thread

Since you asked Billy, the icons look great. But, and this is a big but, they are really hard to read.

They look alike so much and it's hard for me to tell what each skill does if I have to go by the icon alone. I think an icon needs to tell me instantly what the skill behind it should do. Sorry, but I don't think these icons are doing that.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I really like the new icon looks, but you might want to conform the color-code to a universal "Ranger"-color. I just find that easier to look at and less information to store in regards to the icons.

UI adjusting question / suggestion:

Can I rotate my bars vertical so I can put them besides my character?

Can I half my HP bar to but them in different places? Like right besides each other left of my character?

I personally like the color coordination although right now it doesnt appear coherent to me. The icons on the other I dislike. They are too abstract to the point were the many very contrating color of different power combined with the grey are unplesent to look at for me as well as distracting in combat . At first glance it is very hard to figure out what they do. Could be that I am just used to the champion icons but I like those much more.

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I agree with canth, i icons are nice on their own in a large view but as a small icon at the bottom of your screen in the heat of battle they're not as good.

There is so much going on with a weapon and archetype and multiple colors, shading, its so detailed its not easy to see quickly. Think of the nike or mcdonalds logo, quick and easy. Also what happens when i make a male ranger... Now i have female icons, or two sets?

I like the idea of seeing the action of the skill, but maybe less detail, more contrast, **make them easier to recognize at a glance**. I like the color coded idea too

I very much dislike the full screen character sheet. Its old looking, feels low resolution, why cover my live character to then show me a live view of it, you have my entire screen but i still need to scroll thought the stats? Losts of wasted space.... It feels like a really bad console port menu... Is that where were headed? This happened to eso ui and it was terrible.

The concept from a year ago is SOoOo much better looking.

The new skill screen is good, maybe add the keybind above the button, so i dont have to look back and forth and compare icons to see what im try into click on.

Love the color borders around items, and a compare box is always good.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

A suggestion for the power-tray icons, maybe eliminate the line work behind the archetype and the colored ring around the circle to create more negative space, allowing for a more visible silhouette.  I think the combination of color coded silhouette against a solid high-contrasting color, should be sufficient to allow players to quickly identify powers even with small icons.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

haha that last bonus piece at the end is going to enrage some around here I can feel it. The "OMG you're dumbing down the game so can use a console controller!!" folks are going to have a field day with this.

Liking the direction though for sure. You hinted at it here but can't wait to see the customization options when you get to it. Been stated before but yeah being able to move, resize, disable the various parts of the UI is super important IMO.

Personal opinion I like the new icons Professionally I'm not so sure. While the new ones look better I'm not sure they have the proper readability. Most of the bow ones look like they could replace each other like horizontal bow pointing up how is that different that vertical bow pointing left. This is in contrast to something like the knights shield lunge. The silhouette tells me a shield is in front and the movement line in the background show me its a charge of some type. I think the best thing would be to combine the two styles somehow the old ones read better but the new ones are much more aesthetically pleasing.

89W57Tu.jpg

UI adjusting question / suggestion: Can I rotate my bars vertical so I can put them besides my character?

Can I half my HP bar to but them in different places? Like right besides each other left of my character?

Im working on building the UI customization work to where you can move, rotate and scale the meters, and perhaps even change their shape from bar to radial, etc. Its a big system and before we put it into the live game, we want to have presets and be able to save the values to your profile so you don't need to redo the layouts each time you play.

Billy Garretsen - UX Design Lead, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Personal Portfolio]

haha that last bonus piece at the end is going to enrage some around here I can feel it. The "OMG you're dumbing down the game so can use a console controller!!" folks are going to have a field day with this.

Liking the direction though for sure. You hinted at it here but can't wait to see the customization options when you get to it. Been stated before but yeah being able to move, resize, disable the various parts of the UI is super important IMO.

How long till console cross-play? ;p

you stayed until the end, yay!  That's a teaser for some features that will be online soon. The game is not being dumbed down in any way. We actually have found that our features map pretty well to a gamepad by default and it is an addition that is possible through other player accessibility options that are being worked on. This is a keyboard & mouse game at its core - but many people will find value in having input options if they need them. That's been our approach.

[Personal Portfolio]

you stayed until the end, yay!  That's a teaser for some features that will be online soon. The game is not being dumbed down in any way. We actually have found that our features map pretty well to a gamepad by default and it is an addition that is possible through other player accessibility options that are being worked on. This is a keyboard & mouse game at its core - but many people will find value in having input options if they need them. That's been our approach.

Good to hear, won't stop some from still complaining though. But yeah as an option would love to try this with a controller. I actually used to use an xbox controller to PvP in WoW back in the day, it worked rather well to be honest.

and yeah I always stay till the end of a video/movies, as a Marvel fan you get conditioned I guess to keep watching beyond the credits lol.

Edited by pang

I love this accessibility, there is a friend of mine I can more likely get to join as he prefers controller games even for pc. 

89W57Tu.jpg

Looks really good overall. At a glance I think the ranger icons might be a bit too busy to be readable on the bottom of the screen, which is a shame because they're really cool looking up close.

archud-casting.jpg

something equal to that would be super cool, always love the HP bar as close to the character and not irritating (fading out and transparency)

UIs GALORE!     Preview of a production file. I am trying all sorts. Stay tuned.

12674691_963925983714414_73538562_n.jpg?

[Personal Portfolio]