Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vucar

Anyone else think the archetypes look cartoony?

I watched the latest stream of someone playing a ranger and saw a wider array of archetypes than ever before, but i couldn't shake the feeling that instead of watching a death match between characters that would later be in an mmo, i was watching a death match of characters that were going to be in a MOBA like Gigantic.

You've got your tall centaur, your big beefy champion, your nimble and elegant confessor gliding by, etc. 

Everyone looks really different, and really exaggerated. Diversity is good, but this reminds me of watching old G.I. Joe cartoons where you only saw unique looking heroes battling with unique looking villains. 

Its just hard to take things seriously at the moment, personally. Its an art style - I realize that. Its too late to change something that is so ingrained into the setting and characters, so i'm trying to just swallow that pill. Hopefully it does not get any more sensationalized or exaggerated than we've already seen.

Am i alone in thinking the game looks like its going to become Toontown online?

aka honeybear

I like the look of the characters and the art style in general.

Here's a message posted by the artist Dave Greco a while ago:

"Hey all, we are definitely hoping to strike a balance between grounded, and stylized work. Personally, I agree with most and think Wildstar pushed it too far with its cartoony look, I am also not a huge fan of the direction EQnext is taking. 

At the same time making a grey / boring / dark world is not very interesting. Most of my artwork should show the feeling we are going to be going for... I want to strike a balance between the two. In the next weeks, you should see some more images that will give a better idea.

I want everything to feel grounded, harsh, gritty, but also with pops of color and personality.. it's not easy, but it is my goal!"

Conf_2.png

Ranger_Female_Render.jpg

Edited by courant101

Honestly, I'd go try out an MMO in which everything's like 99% realistically designed, then tell me which one is more pleasant to play. Thingsnin Crowfall are really not THAT stylized. Everything's pretty proportional, and the art-style is still grounded in very realistic physics, lighting, and texturing, etc.

I mean, I understand what you're getting at with cartooniness, but Crowfall really isn't very cartoony.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Personally I like the art style.

Additionally, yesterday there was a suprise-test going on, and I can't shake the feeling that they tweaked something in the graphiks, the atmosphere was far darker, overall. Light and shadow and all that.

But, could be me imagining what I want to see :D

Let me sing you a song / Of a world that just vanished / Of a story that ended to soon
Let me bring you a cup / Make a toast to the living / And a toast to the legends we share

I like the style.  However, with the archetype system and cartoon style, you are going to see "GI Joe" look.  It is a taste thing, for sure.  I've been playing BDO a lot lately, and will say that their graphics are pretty amazing.  However, if you can't/won't push that level of realism, then stylized is the next best thing (way better than bad "realistic" graphics). 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Agree with others in liking the style. Its not full on cartoony like Wildstar for example but has enough dark or grit so it won't look goofy like WS did.

Could be wrong here but I think that the characters might seem like they stand out more atm due to the environments and structures colors and textures not being at the same level of development character models are. They've been working on models for a while now but the environments were gray-box just a few major builds ago. So I think once the textures and such all get on the same page it will flow a lot better.

Edited by pang

One archetype model I think looks too cartoony is the Champion when it wears no armor, while the Legionnaire is skimming the edge of what I consider cartoon-ish, depending on the armors it wears.

The other 3 ones are fine in my opinion, I feel like they are detailed enough and strike the right balance.

Edited by courant101

I wasn't thrilled by the art direction when I first saw it. But I do understand that it will likely age better than if a realistic style was taken.

Having said that, I wish they added a bit more "dark style" to it. I suppose I mean like how everyone freaked out at Diablo 3's original art style where it looked all cheerful and colorful. Then D3 Devs did some changes and made it a bit more moody and warlike.

I'd like to see something similar to Crowfall.

While I'm riffing on things I wish changed about Crowfall...

Races instead of Archetypes.

The Race to Class to Profession/Specialization. Then training to spec your char then add in Runes to tweak even further just makes so much sense and allows for some really cool combos. It doesn't lock out the races from classes or professions as dramatically.

I understand training is where the meat of Crowfall is in terms of Char development. But it sucks how many options Shadowbane had for character speccing and they dialed it back for Crowfall.

From a Crowfall lore perspective it would be an easy fix. Instead of God's individual champions (which honestly doesn't make much sense, so all Confessors are the same chosen champion?), have it be the God's chosen races. Boom. Easy. Plus add in Dwarves (I understand Stoneborn are supposed to be them but screw it let's have both) and we've got ourselves a game.

Edited by Mercyfall

I wasn't thrilled by the art direction when I first saw it. But I do understand that it will likely age better than if a realistic style was taken.

Having said that, I wish they added a bit more "dark style" to it. I suppose I mean like how everyone freaked out at Diablo 3's original art style where it looked all cheerful and colorful. Then D3 Devs did some changes and made it a bit more moody and warlike.

The Race to Class to Profession/Specialization. Then training to spec your char then add in Runes to tweak even further just makes so much sense and allows for some really cool combos. It doesn't lock out the races from classes or professions as dramatically.

I understand training is where the meat of Crowfall is in terms of Char development. But it sucks how many options Shadowbane had for character speccing and they dialed it back for Crowfall.

From a Crowfall lore perspective it would be an easy fix. Instead of God's individual champions (which honestly doesn't make much sense, so all Confessors are the same chosen champion?), have it be the God's chosen races. Boom. Easy. Plus add in Dwarves (I understand Stoneborn are supposed to be them but screw it let's have both) and we've got ourselves a game.

Yeah i think that's where the root of my dissatisfaction comes from - pigeon-holed races.

Dwarves can't be confessors. Centaurs can't be rangers. You can't have a "dwarf clan" and roleplay dwarves because, well... you'd only have one archetype and you'd get steamrolled. They succeeded in getting diversity of races, but in the end, every clan will be the same hodgepodge of races so that all archetypes are fulfilled.

The irony of having so much diversity is that in the end we will have none.

aka honeybear

The comparison to MOBAs isn't a mistake I think, since the game takes a lot more from match style gameplay than it does from MMORPGs. Very much like League of Legends and Dota 2 the meta will probably change and art direction (for example, one race per class) allows them to more easily add more "archetypes" down the road and assigns a "Hero/Champion" like uniqueness to them.

Ultimately it's the same as when Hecarim was added to League as the only centaur... was possible because he'd only ever be himself... he'd never have to be another role or use other gear requiring new animations. So you would be a "Hecarim" player. That's kind of how it is here... you're going focus strongly on your class and roles especially since we're just possessing corpses anyways. This will allow them to add more classes without it costing more down the line (by having to retroactively working on all races) and you still at least get some hefty visual and playstyle customization (names, hair style and color, gear, promotions, runes).

Likewise, I really do expect to see cosmetic "skins" like in mobas for these archetypes. It's not utterly new, since for example Guild Wars 1 and 2 both do it, but my point is that there is yet another correlation to mobas and since the game already has a cash shop I fully expect to see skins...

May not be too bad. Imagine a Legionnaire looking like THIS:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/jg2jlslfkaawx3j4xoka.jpg

The moba inspiration was kind of the point I always thought... so I don't know, they've said from the start that they want a comic book feel and I think it's a fair balance here. I still prefer grittier stuff like FFXI and FFXIV, but this doesn't bother me in its current rendition. 

Edited by Cerulean Shaman

Wearily do I sleep eternity away.

Without fear or haste, on bedding made of solitude and silence.

The comparison to MOBAs isn't a mistake I think, since the game takes a lot more from match style gameplay than it does from MMORPGs.

Do you know anything about Crowfall? It is nothing like a MOBA!

Warhammer Online had races/classes locked, what else you got? that campaigns end... yeah and 1 second later you are in another campaign playing again... just like in an MMO where you leave one zone and start in another. No lvls, like Eve... yeah cause Eve is a moba. Because its PvP focused which mobas created the idea of player vs player?

And mobas have gear slots, crafting, progression, destruction, open world, guilds, mounts & caravans, mobs, resources etc etc etc

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

I agree with you and all of that would be great for character building. That said I don't believe the devs are going to do that. I'd love for race, class, discipline and stat lines to all be under player control. You'd get some real build diversity there. Unfortunately I think they're not looking for that type of build diversity here. I'm subject to being mistaken about that and would love to be.

Also, I think the folks suggesting that these stylized character models will last longer / stand the test of time are probably correct.

Now that they've created the models for a lot of races, I guess that it would be relatively simple to make let's say another archetype based on the Guinecean, Centaur or any other races. They would probably need to change a few things on the model and create new animations, but that's already what they need to do for all new races.

Also they talked about cross-over between archetypes for powers and animations. Maybe some disciplines will allow certain races to use a bow or stealth mechanics for example.

I like the art style they've come up with. I understand why some don't, but I think we can all agree stylized graphics are always better than cheaply made realistic ones. I can honestly say I've never seen a game with a character art style that went for an action figure look, and they've pulled that off. So whether you like the art style or not they've managed to hit their mark.

Better graphics are welcome, but that's often a financial mistake that ruins a lot of games. WoW didn't become the biggest MMO for no reason, the things they accomplished by not wasting budget wildly outperformed games that came even before it with superior graphics.

In the balance, do you need graphics?, instead of. That's always the question, instead of what are you losing for investing in graphics. Faster delivery, lower consumer cost, any number of features?, the money is always being taken away from something else.

I'm not the one to preach against any feature because only the highest priority features are appreciated, because that's a lie, better graphics would be great... but they aren't required either. This is what the game always looked like, it might be nice if they changed the proportions to be a little more natural instead of stylized, but I don't expect them to change the fidelity or pallet just because. Not that the test graphics are the final product either, they're sure to improve.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P