Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add To The Game Experience?

Introduction / Context

It is very common in MMORPGs to use mounts as an item of convenience for travel in the game world (The cost of this tool would usually be an upfront ingame currency cost and later on it would take up one slot in your inventory to keep with you).  The mount could be summoned by clicking it and would be disabled when entering combat.

In summary, they were personal player transportation.  In my experience, I wanted mounts to be more than a player movement boost.  Animals can be fast, but they can also be strong, and they can be actors in a player's game experience.

Note that when I am talking about Mounts in this post, I am referring to individual player mounts which a single player can use whenever he likes, not instanced NPC mounts that a player has no direct control over.

Using Mounts in other aspects of the game

When I talk about expending the function of Mounts I am thinking about two categories: Crafting & Combat.

How could you use Mounts in crafting?  I first think of transportation, but not player transportation.  What if mounts were a requirement for hauling a large amount of items (Think "Mining" and transporting big heavy rocks).  If you can picture a traveling merchant riding his dwarf horse carrying his wares (Weapons, armor, potions), or a mining expedition with 4 players walking with two Ox carrying heavy loads of ore then you can probably see what I am talking about.

A second Mount function could be crafting itself.  What if players could use work animals (Mounts) to farm.  Players would be able to being an extended process of "Get Work Animal", "Go to land", "Break Soil using Mule", "Seed", "Harvest".  Consumables obtained through farming would come in high enough quantity to make "farming" crafting less monotonous.

Third function could be player travel.  This is either a "mounts make you too fast" or a "gimp to player character movement to make mounts desirable for travel".  Another way to implement Mounts as player travel could be giving "wild" areas (Far from player settlements) "rough terrain" which makes walking through them slower on foot, but "comfortably fast" when riding a Mount.  Travel Mounts would be used for moving from one settlement to another while not being a "zip through city on my scooter all the time since it makes me faster all the time".

Fourth function, use them for gathering (Similar to "Farm" function).  You get a "boar" and he can find "Truffles" and hint their location to you on the map (Whether "Truffles" are visible at all with or without a boar is another topic).  A hunter/gather would use snazzy medium sized "Mounts" to get resources.  Your "boar" could easily be a dog, bird, cat, or whatever.

farmer-two-mule-team.jpg

Mounts adding to the Combat Experience

Mounted combat can be fun, but it does bring its own set of questions.  Not every player wants to fight on horseback all game long, some players enjoy fighting on foot.  Mounted Combat should not make foot combat unviable.  How should Mounted Combat be handled to make it a fun addition to the game while not being a requirement that alienates players who do not have access to combat mounts and players who dislike fighting on mounts?

I do not have much to add to "Mounted Combat", so I will not pretend to "know what I am talking about".

Mount Maintenance and Mount Mortality

Mounts are resources of convenience, and if possible resources of requirement (Look back at Crafting section of this post), how often should players obtain Mounts, and how often should they lose them IF AT ALL to another player, or to the black hole (Deleted).

Mounts were very visually distinctive in other games (Elephants, Boars, Dragons, Machines, Birds), and flashy (Lots of colors of the rainbow), so losing a mount like could feel unfair.  And if Mounts were as useful as this post suggests, getting one Mount and then not having to ever get a second forever can feel a little bland and cheap, in the same way that getting a mount and having another player steal it from you can feel horrible since now you have to fork out cash/effort to acquire another mount.

If it were up to me (It's not), I'd try to push for Mounts to be a resource just like Weapons would be in a weapon decay system.  You get them, they cost money/effort to get, you eventually lose them, get a new one rinse and repeat.  I think this game will turn out to favor looting important stuff from players, so items should be something you can afford to lose.

Mount Storage

My initial idea is stables.  But stables bring problems very similar to housing (Not enough game world space for all the thousands of players), the safest route for this would definitely be instanced stables so players can keep one of their mounts (Not more than one) for whenever they need it.  If players happened to own more than 1 because they intend to sell them, there could be other ways to store those in "faction" storage areas (And hopefully enable the possibility of that property being "borrowed without asking").

Obtaining Mounts

The following thread talks about a way to make this fun.  It is an animal husbandry suggestion. http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1077-animal-husbandry-the-crafting-profession/

Summary

By making Mounts an item of convenience and utility (Crafting, Travel, Combat, Resource, Transportation) I think the "crafting scene" would be a lot more interesting, and by making crafting more interesting, PvP folk could easily benefit from this (Having Mounts be resources lets players steal Mounts as if they were weapons or armor).

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I agree with almost everything except the one part about instanced stables, purely because instanced anything takes you out of the world.  I also feel like people would abuse instanced stables by hiding in them when a band of gankers rolls in to camp their city.  I would also love to see rogue classes able to sneak into an enemy city during a siege and kill/steal/release the enemy's mounts.  However, I do see an opportunity here to help curb zerg warfare a bit.  Let's say guilds can build stables of varying sizes in their cities.  Building them obviously costs gold and resources, as well as a bit of time to construct.  The smallest stables would be able to hold six, and the biggest ones able to hold eighteen.  Players can build multiple stables, but a problem begins to arise when you have to start choosing between stables and other buildings such as banks, sawmills, and forges.  The amount of stables in a city would limit the amount of mounted units guilds can bring to a siege in a decent amount of time.

As a balancing measure for the power and mobility of mounted units, ground units wielding spears and other similar weapons could be given an advantage against mounted units, such as a dismount weapon power or something, similar to grounding shot with bows in Shadowbane being able to force a flying unit out of the air.  I would also certainly love to see a wide variety of combat oriented mounts, such as boars, bears, and tigers, that act as pets when not mounted and also add variety to the kinds of attacks available to the players riding on their backs.  Players being able to craft armor for mounts would also be great, and another resource sink to keep craftsmen in demand.  Also, I feel like mounts should have their own hunger and heat conservation stats themselves, so that they require care on longer journeys as well. 

Edited by GIHunter6

Mounts that also fight would be great as most games so far either have the animal as a mount or as a fighting pet but not both.

I could see myself heading into the deep woods with my guild to do some exploring and gathering with a fierce animal by my side that I've leveled up and armored.  Perhaps the animals could have lifespans - ones that had them die after a certain span of ingame time.  This would allow for turnover without making the animals part of the loot all rules.

Animals should need to level however in order to be useful.  If they're not fed and watered then they die - think Fallen Earth.  If you're attacked they fight with you or flee or climb up a tree or whatever their type does in combat.

Mounts that can fight - I love it.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Good mounted combat can be difficult to implement properly.

The ideas are good, but I'd be very surprised if any of this is found in the beta or release excluding killable mounts, mounts for travel, and perhaps basic combat.

Me like.

This sort of thing would allow a horse master to be in great demand.  They could breed specific types of horses - some for pulling great weight, some for running fast, some for carrying a warrior atop their back.  The horses would also need to be trained for these tasks.  I know this sounds boring to some, but there ARE people who would greatly enjoy things like running a horse farm, growing crops, captaining a fishing boat.  If you weave this into the rest of the game systems, these professions become valued parts of the PVP effort.  PVP guilds will want these folks in their guild.

I think they have hinted that they want players to depend on each other.  They are moving away from the GW2 type of systems where every player can do everything, making MMOs more or less single player in all but name.

I agree with bout everything other than the instanced stables. Personally i would like to see something similar to how wurm does it. Where you build a paddock and then pens inside it to hold your animals. Its not a perfect system but it keeps you in world and in pvp if you dont keep them protected they are arrow bait.

On another note i would love to see seige animals such as War elephants and lion prides :D

Mounts should be disposable like they are in real life. To get a new mount, we should have to either capture them in the fields or buy them from another player. For example, a guild at war might order 150 mounts or something. When we get a new mount, we should be able to decorate them with armor. The armor is our way to show off. The mounts themselves should not be "ways to show off" but focused on functionality. Example: mounts that have lots of strength/endurance to carry things and are tough or mounts that are very fast. There can be exotic looking mounts but they need an exotic functionality to go with them (bird mounts that can fly or glide). Mounts could be like ships in EVE Online. Maybe we can have cool looking immortal mounts in the Eternal Kingdom since our characters are immortal. But I want disposable mounts in the Dying Worlds.

This is a great subject. I think with the unique function of archetype and role behaviors in Crowfall, combat mounts should exist as an extension of promotion classes, only for Archetypes that qualify.

Archetypes like Centaur can promote up to have features like archery or heavy armor defense similar to tanks or stalkers, thereby combining roles, while Archetypes like tanks or stalkers can promote up to mounted combat and basically represent a similar function with minor differences.

All unqualified Archetypes could access transport mounts which won't stay in a fight just for transportation, the horse could throw you or flee battle making it necessary to dismount if your archetype and role don't meet mounted combat standards.

It's important to recognize that Centaur are always a form of Calvary, so giving all archetypes the ability to perform mounted combat would be broken, Centaurs can not switch out of cavalry combat, so it needs to be available only to similar archetypes who perform the same role on horse, and they should maintain some minor advantage because they can not separate themselves from a mount like riders can in any situation where that can be a drawback.

I love the mount crafting suggestion and raised it myself many times so I'm definitely in support of mounts being a raisable commodity in the game. I think mounts should work like pets, that you ride.

Hopefully they come up with a better representation of summoning a mount than many MMOs where it magically appears out of a bag. They could do the Epona method where you whistle and a few seconds later the horse gallops up to you from the distance, kind of hazing into view as it approaches.

There are a great deal of significant features anticipated from mounts, specifically because Centaurs are an Archetype ans the game respects deep role advantages based on stature. We can only hope this gets full detail in the gaming experience.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm interested in seeing a realistic type of mount/horse system:

• Simplistic mounted combat that includes physics for charging, you can't really do a lot of fancy attacks on a horse after all. This would need suitable counters in place.
  • Mounts can be attacked and killed
  • Players can breed mounts in some way and/or npc's sell mounts relatively cheaply
  • Mounts never despawn(except when the owner also logs out) and can be stolen
  • A horse loyalty/training system, well trained mounts are easier to control for the owner and are significantly harder to steal/control by the thief
  • NPC and Player owned stable's in town that let you safely store your mount, could charge players for this and be another gold sink.
  • Player owned stables can be damaged and releases all the mounts stored in it as it takes more and more damage
  • A certain degree of randomness in controlling the mount, much like riding a real horse, it takes time to stop, hard to turn especially at speed, constantly need to adjust direction as the horse drifts left and right on it's own but is easier to control on a road.
  • Mounts have stamina and can't sprint forever
  • Mounts move slightly faster and drain less stamina on roads.
  • Mounts can be startled or stubborn and sometimes ignore your commands because of this, ties into the loyalty system.
  • Possibly a skill that lets you have greater control over your mount
  • Possibly a skill that lets you have greater control of mounts that are unloyal to you, allowing for an easier time in stealing other players mounts.
  • Mounts used for transportation of resources/goods.

• Simplistic mounted combat that includes physics for charging, you can't really do a lot of fancy attacks on a horse after all. This would need suitable counters in place.
  • Players can breed mounts in some way and/or npc's sell mounts relatively cheaply
  • A horse loyalty/training system, well trained mounts are easier to control for the owner and are significantly harder to steal/control by the thief
  • NPC and Player owned stable's in town that let you safely store your mount, could charge players for this and be another gold sink.
  • Player owned stables can be damaged and releases all the mounts stored in it as it takes more and more damage
  • A certain degree of randomness in controlling the mount, much like riding a real horse, it takes time to stop, hard to turn especially at speed, constantly need to adjust direction as the horse drifts left and right on it's own but is easier to control on a road.
  • Mounts can be startled or stubborn and sometimes ignore your commands because of this, ties into the loyalty system.
  • Possibly a skill that lets you have greater control of mounts that are unloyal to you, allowing for an easier time in stealing other players mounts.
All great ideas, i hope to see some of these implemented in the game Edited by dragonfly

That would all be amazing to see with mounts. I do hate when mounted combat becomes a pet power system though. Archeage had "mounted combat" that just consisted of unlocking possibly one basic attack that can happen on a mount based on your pets level, not your characters. It could be an awesome list of skills people can choose to level up if they want to have mounted combat. Also as long mounts are something that I can loose to players I will love the risk of having one out with me throughout the game. Make taming mounts an important skill! Or just make friends with a centaur.

Excellent ideas. I really hope that ACE reads this thread for when they reach the mounts stretch goal.