Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Catapults! - Official discussion thread

This looks much better than I was expecting. You have a lot more freedom than I was expecting you to be able to. This has me pretty excited about future vehicles and mounted weapons.

Very cool!

Is it going to be possible to learn some special abilites for siege weapons, for example double shot of some kind or maybe produce other kind of ammo, with like frags of some kind? 

The winter is coming... The hunger is coming...

Sooooo. IMO, it's a step in the wrong direction. I was saying "Nooo... No no no no !" with a D: face in front of my screen.

To be a little more specific, and constructive :
They are literally a c/c of WoW's siege vehicles. Even the targetting path reticle thing (don't know how it is called in english ^^ ) is the same.

To me, a siege weapon/vehicle like this one should need at least 2 players for it to move. More players for more speed. Like a really heavy machinery pushed from behind / both sides by hand and/or some kind of kinetic magic for casters. Plus one driver for it to turn and shoot.
With each "pusher" able to use a shield and deflect damages thrown at the vehicle.

With this, a siege battle would requiert players to actually work together, instead of most of them waiting for one guy to bring it and explode a wall (saw it many, MANY times in WoW).

Now, I know we are still in pre-alpha. It's just that I prefer to tell what's seems wrong to me right now ;)

Looks pretty good. Long way from the stationary bulwarks of the past. Will there be ammo types? Like smoke screens and/or shrapnel damage with ability to 'time and prep the fuse?

The Balance - Nation of Equilibrium

"You can run but you'll DIE tired.."

This looks like that kind of thing that needs to be made modular, both to save on art assets and to allow for more economic influences on the battlefield! Base catapult costs X resources. One with a ram costs X+Y etc. It could even be the base model for all siege weapons. Chassis costs A. chassis + catapult costs A + B etc.

If you want to make siege towers... Chassis + Siege towers can cost 20X! The siege towers could even have slots for catapults inside like a Helepolis! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helepolis

Also: I hope that the mobile shield expands the catapult's hotbox so it can act as mobile cover! (which could also be one of the modular additions)

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Great work on the first siege vehicle!

I agree with Nikbis that a player should push the catapult and another player in charge of triggering the weapons. Being able to see the players and disengage them  from the vehicle through direct hits would be nice.

Sooooo. IMO, it's a step in the wrong direction. I was saying "Nooo... No no no no !" with a D: face in front of my screen.

To be a little more specific, and constructive :
They are literally a c/c of WoW's siege vehicles. Even the targetting path reticle thing (don't know how it is called in english ^^ ) is the same.

To me, a siege weapon/vehicle like this one should need at least 2 players for it to move. More players for more speed. Like a really heavy machinery pushed from behind / both sides by hand and/or some kind of kinetic magic for casters. Plus one driver for it to turn and shoot.
With each "pusher" able to use a shield and deflect damages thrown at the vehicle.

With this, a siege battle would requiert players to actually work together, instead of most of them waiting for one guy to bring it and explode a wall (saw it many, MANY times in WoW).

Now, I know we are still in pre-alpha. It's just that I prefer to tell what's seems wrong to me right now ;)

I like the idea of a solo siege weapon that is expensive to make, and possibly requires a discipline to use.

Can we fire players?

I can totally imagine throwing a tank in the middle of a battle (or a couple Guniceans..). :D

Also, yes;

a ) invisible rider makes me sad, but I have a feeling this will be fixed

b ) one-person "driving" it w/o any actual power-source also makes me sad; it would be cool to have team-play in "pushing" it!

Otherwise, exciting! Can't wait to see how this changes the battlefield. (And can't wait for ballistas and trebuchets.. those will be even more interesting ^_^)

Edited by Michael Fedora

"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light." ~ Arca Jeth, Star Wars Legends

Nice!

Question though, at some point when these get more fleshed out will we actually see the players riding on them? I thought these were supposed to be considered mounts and not like an actual vessel that we become the catapult somehow.

I was wondering about that too because they seem self propelled. Maybe they'll add the player and some thralls/animals to pull/push the thing later.