Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Catapults! - Official discussion thread

If you die in a siege catapult, do you die in real life  in your vessel as well?

It looks like the seige has its own health bar that would die first then you are left like normal when it is destroyed.

Lot can change

MOkvLlm.png

Not a fan of the vehicle type siege equipment. Player vs wall is boring, I rather be killing players than shooting walls. I prefer siege equipment as a pet that I can set to attack the wall while I defend it from other players.

Not a fan of the pet type siege equipment. Pet vs wall is boring, I'd rather be wrecking the walls than applying a DoT to walls. I also believe that vehicles create much more gameplay than dropping a pet.

This is our first manned siege vehicle which allows us to also work out mount kinks, and multi passenger kinks. (when we add a multi passenger vehicles)

Expect some cooler looking equipment in the future, Greco wants to concept us some badass stuff.

Long term:

Ideally the siege tents will have construction pads and different vehicles will have different build times, resource costs, and construction times. This will force people to think about the vehicle build order once the Banewood trees go active. (Not about pre placing 50 trebs before the fight) Should create some fun and interesting build orders. How many vehicle build shops do we have? (Based on level of Banewood Trees or something) Do we start trebs first so they finish  building when the second round of catapults is built? Do we go with an all out siege towers for quick over the walls?

This is just the beginning of the Siege chapter, and we have lots of fun things we want to do once the dust settles on this.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Not bad for a first vehicle, but it is fairly immersion shattering.

The problem I see is that it looks like ye olden times catapult for the most part, but somehow it's self powered?  Where's it's medieval engine at?

Besides the actual catapult itself, it doesn't look like it could function or have any of the abilities it has.  Is it magic wood?

If you want a reference for a good mobile siege weapon, I think the one from Archeage got it more or less right.  I'd also like to eventually see a vehicle like this be 2 manned, one pilot and one gunner.

It's an ok first pre-alpha step, but I just feel there was a lack of thought put into it.

Not a fan of the pet type siege equipment. Pet vs wall is boring, I'd rather be wrecking the walls than applying a DoT to walls. I also believe that vehicles create much more gameplay than dropping a pet.

This is our first manned siege vehicle which allows us to also work out mount kinks, and multi passenger kinks. (when we add a multi passenger vehicles)

Expect some cooler looking equipment in the future, Greco wants to concept us some badass stuff.

Long term:

Ideally the siege tents will have construction pads and different vehicles will have different build times, resource costs, and construction times. This will force people to think about the vehicle build order once the Banewood trees go active. (Not about pre placing 50 trebs before the fight) Should create some fun and interesting build orders. How many vehicle build shops do we have? (Based on level of Banewood Trees or something) Do we start trebs first so they finish  building when the second round of catapults is built? Do we go with an all out siege towers for quick over the walls?

This is just the beginning of the Siege chapter, and we have lots of fun things we want to do once the dust settles on this.

fair enough, I just have a bad taste in my mouth from WoW siege vehicles. That and nostalgia from the SB glory days.

Long term:

What pet based siege weapons also do is open up the field for more normal fights rather than more vehicle based fights which tend to be kind of boring compared to using your normal abilities and having the large scale battles using your normal abilities without having to jump in and out of vehicles(if the vehicles are less potent) or being forced to use the vehicles if they are more potent.

That being said, I haven't actually played with the current thing and it is still very early.

C4sIZDW.gif

Not bad for a first vehicle, but it is fairly immersion shattering.

The problem I see is that it looks like ye olden times catapult for the most part, but somehow it's self powered?  Where's it's medieval engine at?

Besides the actual catapult itself, it doesn't look like it could function or have any of the abilities it has.  Is it magic wood?

If you want a reference for a good mobile siege weapon, I think the one from Archeage got it more or less right.  I'd also like to eventually see a vehicle like this be 2 manned, one pilot and one gunner.

It's an ok first pre-alpha step, but I just feel there was a lack of thought put into it.

To me, the silliest aspect of the catapult is its paltry 40m range.

Catapults could outrange bows, which is why the crew could hang out operating the siege engine in relative safety, unless there were counter-battery fire or counter-assault from the sally port.. Of course bows look like they'll also have ridiculously stunted range.

On the bright side, this video shows CF could have indirect fire, bullet drop and natural range if ACE wanted to try more realistic ballistics.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Sooo what you're saying is that you want siege engines to need more than one person to use. I'm down with that. If fact there could be a progressive increase in the amount of players needed to use more powerful siege engines. For example, it only takes one player to use a ram, but 10 to use a trebuchet.

Also, wouldn't it be funny if the rams looked like Elkin :P

I also want to see this maybe keeping the character models behind the catapult as if operating it. Of course the issue here is who controls the catapult or if all how to keep it smooth between jobs aka one loads one fires maybe a third aims ect. However something needs to be done as this style doesn't feel right hopefully its a place holder for the test but this can't be the release version.

89W57Tu.jpg

Long term:

That's great to hear I was hoping that siege weapons would be a tactical decision to use.

So we're creating waves of siege engines for our side to grab and use against enemy walls. So finding the perfect balance between players on foot and in the vehicles at any time will be key. Meaning not just pulling them out instantly, but possibly waiting for an opportune moment of the battle to bring in the full wave of catapults will be important. 

Will there be other ways to disable siege vehicles later on? Like killing the driver or whatever thralls or animals are pulling the machines?

Looks fun, hopefully nothing remotely like this enters the real game, if we are going to have marvels of mechanical engineering, I'd expect it to be a Dwarven war machine. Hopefully the real siege equipment available at release will be defenseless burdens that have to be hauled by animals and protected by infantry, not attack bots with self propulsion and mechanical rams, none of these combat classes would exist with that kind of technology, they'd just make tanks...

On a good note, the firing solution looks great, wish it was on Ranger as well.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

It would kind of be cool if people had to eyeball how to aim it...

Ya I think I would have preferred a charge mechanic for the fire ball.  Start the cast at zero and 90 degrees.  As you hold the charge the angle of the arm cranks back.  At fully charged the arm is at 180 and your distance is maximized.  No change to damage.  It just takes longer per shoot from a safer range than if you get right up on the walls.

Edited by Degan

Nice!

Question though, at some point when these get more fleshed out will we actually see the players riding on them? I thought these were supposed to be considered mounts and not like an actual vessel that we become the catapult somehow.

My thoughts too - where's the guy that's driving this thing? "Becoming" the catapult is silly. 

You want to see a pretty cool catapult design check out what Darkfall Unholy Wars did. Of the many things that weren't great about that game I thought the catapult design was pretty good. It had a driver who could be attacked separately from the catapult and it also had 4 passenger slots. The passengers essentially helped "push" the catapult. So the more passengers you had the faster it could move. 

My thoughts too - where's the guy that's driving this thing? "Becoming" the catapult is silly. 

I bet the catapults are made from wood in this haunted forest:

jzoiV6w.jpg

This zombie wood most likely acts the same way as our bodies (or vessels) would. Thus my theory is that our Crows can occupy catapults the same way as we'll be able to do with our vessels.

I'm totally not serious. 

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!