Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The battle crafter

I love the topic of the master crafters, but I was wondering how many see themselves rather a battle (campaign) crafter then a EK crafter? And by a crafter I mean the people who will spec their char to be primarly a crafter.

I read some people's posts stating they will be crafting "at home" while guildies fight with their weapons, but given the different campaign types, are any crafters out there excited to jump into the dregs etc and figure out how they could help lead their side to victory more actively?

Will crafting at home be meaningfull, given gear can be looted?

Will there be time to join skirmishes, or will we be so busy there will be no time for that?

Will battle crafters be a nuisance to other pvp'ers?

Could battle crafters tip the balance in campaigns?

Will certain archetypes be better as battle crafters?

Will certain archetypes become crafter templates?

and maybe the most nagging question :

Will crafters have a place in a free for all?

I know a lot of it will be speculation, maybe my search skills are lacking but I didn't immediatly find much on this topic, and I'd like to know what others thoughts / ideas / expectations are on the subject

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

I would hope crafters would be necessary in campaigns. I wouldn't call myself a crafter but I have a couple of guildmates that are interested in it. Mainly because they would play I vital role in campaign worlds. The fact that gear doesn't last forever means that (I'm hoping at least) players will run though the gear multiple times so replenishing that gear during campaigns would be vital to victory.

every guild/group will need crafters in the campaign, otherwise they wont get great gear. With campaigns lasting a minimum of 1 month, then the EK crafter will have nothing to do, other than start a skill and wait for it to complete.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I read some people's posts stating they will be crafting "at home" while guildies fight with their weapons, but given the different campaign types, are any crafters out there excited to jump into the dregs etc and figure out how they could help lead their side to victory more actively?

The Eternal Kingdoms will not be the only place people can craft "at home." Even in the Dregs guilds will build bases, and there could be players who are more focused on crafting in those bases than fighting on the front lines.

and maybe the most nagging question :

Will crafters have a place in a free for all?

Even in the "free for all" rulesets there will be guilds. Many guilds have people who focus on crafting, so yes, there will likely be a place for crafters in all campaign types, even the Dregs.

IhhQKY6.gif

Even in the "free for all" rulesets there will be guilds. Many guilds have people who focus on crafting, so yes, there will likely be a place for crafters in all campaign types, even the Dregs.

I'm not too sure if guilds can queue up for the dregs. As far as I know the Dregs are solo queue. But not too much info is out on that yet so no one will know for sure. But crafters are valued in the drags too so finding a group of players to take you in would be a lot easier for a crafter than a fighter... more than likely. 

Edited by silhaku

I'm not too sure if guilds can queue up for the dregs. As far as I know the Dregs are solo queue. But not too much info is out on that yet so no one will know for sure. But crafters are valued in the drags too so finding a group of players to take you in would be a lot easier for a crafter than a fighter... more than likely. 

The fact that guilds will be playing in the Dregs was confirmed a long time ago. Here are quotes from Todd from both a Twitter QA and a Reddit AMA.

Q: @CrowfallGame #CFQuestions What does FFA mean for Dregs? One individual winner, or can a guild win?

A: @zenjah @CrowfallGame it's still a guild-based team structure. FFA just means you can whack your guildmate

Calykos 1 year ago 

How will a victor be determined in FFA Campaigns such as The Dregs?

JtoddcolemanArtCraft Ent. Creative Director 1 year ago 

The Dregs will be a system similar to Shadowbane, but adapted to the idea of a seasonal campaign. The basic idea is "take over as much land, as hold it as long as you can." We gave an example (the Bloodstones design) that showed how victory points are amassed; the details may differ but the core concept will be similar.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Thanks for the great info already, certainly already explains a few things, although it might raise others about the ffa.

I realize this might be something the game will answer by itself over time, and a potentially dangerous subject, but I'm still curious. What are you thoughts on the battle crafter, as in a character specced for crafting actually participating in battle? Would they be viewed as reserve troops, purely as defenders, or would you actually let them participate in more offensive assaults to? Wouldn't it be dangerous to leave only crafters as defense? As in, despite being less interested in pvp matches and not specced ideally for combat, a "battle crafter" could still be a valuable resource in times of need. Or do you view them exclusively as merchants so to speak?

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

I think it all depends on the player themselves. More bodies would always be helpful in a fight but it also depends on what mechanics are placed in game. Crafters might be needed for repairing gear on or at least close to the battlefield if the option is given and depending on how sever the wear on weapons and armor would be.  So thats really have to wait till more info is given out before people can start coming up with speculations  on how crafters will have a effect during a actual battle.

Edited by silhaku

• 2 weeks later...

I think all crafters will be required to join campaigns in the beginning. Until people gain wealth, you won't be able to do anything outside of campaigns. Even with EK resources, I doubt they will provide anything other than very basic gear and at a rate too slow for real profit.

Once people start to get more resource nodes inside of their EK or find a profitable market so they can generate revenue, you'll see crafters split into passive and active groups. Really, we just don't know anything about the economy yet.

I expect "battle crafters" will be the norm, at least for the first year after launch.

As we fill up our training capacities, different crows trained in an archetype will converge, so that a crow that generalized at first will catch up with those who maxed out training in a particular crafting niche early.

Eventually the only real difference will be starting and discipline runes picked for the vessel currently worn.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

If the skill system is as in depth as eve's it will take longer than a year for someone to Max out their combat skills. I'm thinking more like half a decade. Of course I'm sure people will break away from the combat tree eventually to at least dabble in some of the crafting. Vise versa for crafters hopefully.

Battle crafting is precisely the role I see myself fulfilling in the game, so I very much hope it will be viable. We'll need to be tough enough to hold out in the wilds while gathering resources, and are more likely to have more support-minded skills like repairing and siege engine control. 

I think all characters will be more than capable in combat, just because you are a crafter doesn't mean you will suddenly forget how to swing a sword. Sure, you won't have the edge that dedicated combat characters do, but you should be more than capable of holding your own in a fight (especially as you should be pretty well equipped ;) ).

I see needing many single focus battle crafters to succeed in establishing presence in the CWS, claiming fortress sites and getting defensible space built while also gearing out fighters and ourselves. I think the norm will have most players develope a single crafting line specialty along with thier main PvP archetype role. Each guild will need many masons, certainly builders and carriage/wainrights to get carts going to resource points. Certainly there will be need for someone dedicated into each weapon and armor type, pots, scolls, jewelry... early in the game the EKs will be simple sim city action with very little crafting happening until the first batch of resources gets exported... by then the battle crafters will have made quite a bit of stuff in those first CWs. Crafting iniside the CWs will be more than just a few dedicated crafters, in fact, there will probably only be a few dedicated Defenders that don't have one skill ticking in some craft.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting the impression most people are still looking at the campaigns as 'I go in as a crafter and stay a crafter the whole time'.  With vessels, that is changed completely. Go in as A, need a B, craft or find a vessel and become B. Rinse, repeat.

While I will remain a crafter most of my time, there is nothing stopping me from donning a fighting vessel and heading out with that. Then again, I need to make sure to secure my crafting vessel first or it may be looted/destroyed/weakened.

So many ways this could go, and most are great.

I'm getting the impression most people are still looking at the campaigns as 'I go in as a crafter and stay a crafter the whole time'.  With vessels, that is changed completely. Go in as A, need a B, craft or find a vessel and become B. Rinse, repeat.

While I will remain a crafter most of my time, there is nothing stopping me from donning a fighting vessel and heading out with that. Then again, I need to make sure to secure my crafting vessel first or it may be looted/destroyed/weakened.

So many ways this could go, and most are great.

I've never really thought of vessels as crafting vs combat but, I guess it makes sense that crafting skills would have raise-able skill caps too. I have considered the impact on swapping between fighting and crafting but, sticking to 1 thing is more time efficient. You'll probably need to find vessel upgrades so that all of your important skills caps can be raised on a single vessel.  

Vessels will make a difference, though mostly through promotion classes and disciplines I think, since skills are trained at the crow level. A crafter will have just as much archetype training as a combat player, so it's just the general combat skill gap that is the difference.

Regarding EK vs CW, it won't be one or the other for most people. While in the CW, you can still travel to the EKs and trade/craft/harvest/whatever.

Also remember that there are separate skill trees for harvesting, siege engineering and animal husbandry, plus a bunch of different crafting trees. There will need to be a lot of specialization to support a guild. The people doing the crafting probably won't be the ones doing the harvesting or the siege engineering. The people making the weapons probably won't be making vessels, repairing walls or crafting soul gems. Eventually, yes, people will learn more than one "trade", but that will take a lot of time.