Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CheshireVee

The Three Factions

Howdy,

Felt like discussing the three factions as I have yet to find one that calls to me. Everyone is of course welcome to express their opinions or theories of the factions and maybe if I'M lucky, somebody here will drop just the juicy morsel I'll need to make my decision.

Anywho! Since I do not have a preferred faction at the time of making this thread, I figure I'll get this conversation started with a little spiel on my current views of the factions. Perhaps you Crows out there have more up to date news than I do and will be able to shine some light in the holes I keep tripping in.

Order: Of all the factions, I kinda like these guys. -Kinda-. They got great intentions, saving everyone from the hunger and all that jazz, but they seem to lack a plan on how to do so. Good intent or not, they can't exactly stop an alleged god and world devouring menace without one. Get on that Order!

Chaos: Now, I love me a little chaos, but these guys are just downright evil from the sounds of it, morally gray at best. Their redeeming quality lies in the fact that they at least -have- a plan. It may not be the best or most sound... oh, who am I kidding. It's the ONLY plan any of the three factions seem to have. The plan being: Sacrifice some worlds to try and appease the hunger.

Balance: Now this faction downright rustles my jimmies, a rare feat, I assure you. Not only are two of their gods already dead, of the remaining two, one is a silent voyeur and the other simply doesn't care. As far as I can tell, Illara has no official binds to the balance faction beyond game balance issues. Since she doesn't care to join -any- faction, she is just shunted into the team consisting of gods none of the other team captains wanted to pick during kickball. EVEN WORSE! They don't even seem to have a plan, but they do have a goal. (They as in Kronos, as he is likely the only to have an opinion -maybe-) Their goal is just to keep the other two factions from getting ahead and completing their goals (i.e. stopping the hunger). Almost makes me wonder if Kronos wants the Hunger to devour everything. I know Illara doesn't care one way or the other since she is the only god who is capable of escaping the Hunger...

So yea, there are my current thoughts on the three factions. What about you guys?

Order?  Chaos?  The Cosmic Balance?

“Elric knew that everything that existed had its opposite. In danger he might find peace. And yet, of course, in peace there was danger. Being an imperfect creature in an imperfect world he would always know paradox. And that was why in paradox there was always a kind of truth. That was why philosophers and soothsayers flourished. In a perfect world there would be no place for them. In an imperfect world the mysteries were always without solution and that was why there was always a great choice of solutions.” 

― Michael Moorcock, The Elric Saga Part I

There is so much Moorcock in Crowfall, I fear we will all revert to brooding teenagers...

Edited by cemya

Eh I think the "I don't really care about the gods, only about profit" gameplay style will be the most common. Personally I feel faction allegiance will come down to coolest gods, which in some cases, means coolest emblem. Emblems like the spider, wolf and snake are cool, which is why I feel Chaos might have a bigger following overall. The gods have no real difference that we can see as of yet so it's down to aesthetic preference currently.

Narratively I'd say almost 60% of the community if they would describe a character from Game of Thrones they'd aspire to be from a list, they'd probably say Bronn. Few people like to be the guy that swears undying fealty or the ruler focused on honor. They like the rogue type characters that can be badass explorers that thrive to be rich while maybe not being a "King". As such the narrative god element will peak the interest of most players. They will see "Which god gives me the best perks" and/or looks the coolest.

Order?  Chaos?  The Cosmic Balance?

“Elric knew that everything that existed had its opposite. In danger he might find peace. And yet, of course, in peace there was danger. Being an imperfect creature in an imperfect world he would always know paradox. And that was why in paradox there was always a kind of truth. That was why philosophers and soothsayers flourished. In a perfect world there would be no place for them. In an imperfect world the mysteries were always without solution and that was why there was always a great choice of solutions.” 

― Michael Moorcock, The Elric Saga Part I

There is so much Moorcock in Crowfall, I fear we will all revert to brooding teenagers...

Oh my, say it ain't so! 

Eh I think the "I don't really care about the gods, only about profit" gameplay style will be the most common. Personally I feel faction allegiance will come down to coolest gods, which in some cases, means coolest emblem. Emblems like the spider, wolf and snake are cool, which is why I feel Chaos might have a bigger following overall. The gods have no real difference that we can see as of yet so it's down to aesthetic preference currently.

Narratively I'd say almost 60% of the community if they would describe a character from Game of Thrones they'd aspire to be from a list, they'd probably say Bronn. Few people like to be the guy that swears undying fealty or the ruler focused on honor. They like the rogue type characters that can be badass explorers that thrive to be rich while maybe not being a "King". As such the narrative god element will peak the interest of most players. They will see "Which god gives me the best perks" and/or looks the coolest.

That is of course assuming there -is- any difference between the factions mechanically speaking. In which case, yea, as much as it pains my love of RP, I'd have to agree that most players would just go with whoever has the prettiest banner or shiniest buffs.

That would be quite a let down though, no? Untapped potential. 

Oh my, say it ain't so! 

That is of course assuming there -is- any difference between the factions mechanically speaking. In which case, yea, as much as it pains my love of RP, I'd have to agree that most players would just go with whoever has the prettiest banner or shiniest buffs.

That would be quite a let down though, no? Untapped potential. 

They've said that they don't want to make choice of god a min-max decision. They talked about god choice affecting the rewards you get at then end of a campaign, and have said that players will be able to choose a god on a campaign by campaign basis.

Regarding the three factions, I don't really have a preference. I doubt I'll be playing in God's Reach much, if at all, though I do like the way it is set up. Most 2 and 3 faction PvP games end up being imbalanced, with one faction significantly larger than the others. The impermanence of the campaigns will help to maintain a better balance and, if the factions are out of balance, the Balance faction will help to mitigate that imbalance. Say Chaos has the largest faction. That means Balance will need to side with Order more and that will create a balance. Factional balance is self correcting.

Seeing as how it's a PvP centric game I'm going to venture to say most decisions will be based on random choice or "hey that god has a cool looking emblem". Most (not all) PvP players I have interacted with have no desire to RP and typically don't research the lore. Now if the classes were faction locked that would be a huge deciding factor but as far as the lore, most likely very few will really care unless of course there is some in game benefit for each god or faction (which I hope is not the case).

I'm not sure yet, I have a lot of catching up to do, due to being Uber busy last six months, once I go through all the gods I will know which faction I will be supporting.

For the night is dark and filled with terrors.

What are factions? It's that something that happens outside of the Dregs? Sounds carebear.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Seeing as how it's a PvP centric game I'm going to venture to say most decisions will be based on random choice or "hey that god has a cool looking emblem". Most (not all) PvP players I have interacted with have no desire to RP and typically don't research the lore. Now if the classes were faction locked that would be a huge deciding factor but as far as the lore, most likely very few will really care unless of course there is some in game benefit for each god or faction (which I hope is not the case).

And yet, some of the best RPers I have ever met love PvP.

I have a problem with RP in MMOs in that it's largely done by PvErs who want to add something to their gameplay.  Nothing wrong with that, except you then wind up with some truly ludicrous characters, and thinks like 'roll combat' for fights.  For those not in the know, that's when you emote actions and then roll randomly to see who wins.  Instead of, y'know, using the /duel system most MMOs come with these days.

The problem with RPers in MMOs is they have 'special snowflake' syndrome and believe that they must be the centre of the known universe.

Anyway, I digress.  Faction (Order, Balance, Chaos) only matters in God's Reach.  Don't get me wrong, I like the lore behind a lot of these guys, but there are certainly some mismatches in which faction they are in.

I love PvP and RP myself. Even though God's Reach itself has little interest to me, I'd still like for the lore to make sense and be decent if not good. When I do eventually pass through God's Reach, I would like to have a reason to care about why i'm even fighting. 

I love PvP and RP myself. Even though God's Reach itself has little interest to me, I'd still like for the lore to make sense and be decent if not good. When I do eventually pass through God's Reach, I would like to have a reason to care about why i'm even fighting. 

Join which ever faction your guild/group/friends are on always seems to work well. Not sure why Lore has to be the end all be all. Its background and fluff take it for what you will but in a competitive PvP game making choice based mostly on some Lore might not be the best choice.

and yeah if you don't have much interest in Gods reach or w/e the faction based CW is, then there's not much reason to have interest in the pre-made factions. The other bands will be more guild and player made faction/alliance based.

Join which ever faction your guild/group/friends are on always seems to work well. Not sure why Lore has to be the end all be all. Its background and fluff take it for what you will but in a competitive PvP game making choice based mostly on some Lore might not be the best choice.

and yeah if you don't have much interest in Gods reach or w/e the faction based CW is, then there's not much reason to have interest in the pre-made factions. The other bands will be more guild and player made faction/alliance based.

See, if I was just a PvPer, then I would agree with that mindset, but i'm not. Lore is quite a large slice of the entertainment value for my RP half. 

I've even fought against friends because they went and sided with something my character wouldn't. Good times <3

I'll likely end up in God's Reach at some point whether I like it or not. Whether it be for an RP reason or to simply help someone else. Thus, I'd like to have a feeling of where I should stand in a conflict. So far, Balance seems next to pointless as a faction, so I likely won't consider joining them.

CrowFall has a lot to offer Lore wise and a great foundation to build on. This game is really just starting to take off

in fact many games at launch don't have this much back story to some of their Higher than Player lore characters.

My hunger for lore is feed by the idea of actually going out and destroying other players on my factions behalf. Now Knowing

that as the game progresses as we play, is all the more reason to follow/understand the lore. In fact you could view it as

when we play we're living out the lore. More ideas will be flushed out as the development continues! Changing Worlds opens the door to compelling stories,acts of revenge, and drama to manifest as we play the game while also being a path for the Writing team to implement

lore as the community dukes it out on the battlefields. Be patient give them time to build on the lore we're not choosing

faction or guild this day.

Edited by Norskye

:mellow: I care not for willful Ignorance in any form! :mellow: