Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CheshireVee

The 12 (13) Gods

So after making The Three Factions thread, I figured I'd go ahead and make a sister thread that further breaks things down. Now, while I may not like any of the three factions, there are at least a small number of gods that seem appealing. I'll put an asterix next to the names of the Gods I find somewhat appealing. What are your thoughts of the gods? Perhaps you may have some insights that I lack as well that would make a nice addition here ;3

Here is my understanding of each of the 12 gods of the 3 factions and the 13th god, Valkyn, who belongs to no faction.

Valkyn: The All Father, the first of the gods. This dude is kind of a hooligan. He saw a dragon and cut it in two simply because he didn't like the way it looked. He then tied one of those halves (each half having become its own separate entity) into a throne for him to sit on. He then took the Sun and Moon from these dragons and gave them to his sons. For whatever reason, he gave his son Arkon, god of Justice, the Sun and his son Kane, god of craftsmanship, the Moon. Kane was envious of the Sun, as its fires would be far more useful to him and his forge. Furthermore, Valkyn forced his son, Arkon, and daughter(?), Gaea, to marry each other. Then, as the Hunger began devouring everything from the center of this universe Valkyn created, he went to stop it and never returned. Not exactly sad to see him go myself.

Arkon: God of Justice, he seems 'alright' though may be a little warped by grief at this point. His marriage with Gaea doesn't sound like it was the best, though it was fruitful. Arkon is furious with his brother Kane who seems to be behind the deaths of both his wife, Gaea, and his son, D'orion. What I've read though makes me think there is some kind of sick misunderstanding here though. I'll explain more below...

Kane*: Twin brother of Arkon, I am not sure how I feel about this guy. He is either a rapist, or the victim of a tragic romance. I can't find anything covering -exactly- what happened between him and Gaea, but whatever happened, whether assault or forbidden love, resulted in the birth of the Forgemasters, a birth that Gaea wouldn't survive. Arkon then challenged Kane to a duel in the house of their father. Kane, feeling guilt over Gaea's death, arrived unarmed, ready to accept death. However, Arkon hadn't yet arrived and D'orion, Arkon's son sprung an ambush. Kane, startled, reacted in surprise and struck down D'orion in a single unarmed blow. Only then did Arkon arrive to find Kane standing over the corpse of his son. Arkon was too shocked by grief to fight Kane, and said his son had championed his cause and failed, thus proving Kane's innocence. (Trials by Combat are pretty jacked up yea?) Arkon still seethes with a desire for justice to be done, but hasn't pursued it openly against Kane since.

Gaea*: Goddess of Life who died giving birth to Kane's children. Not much more to be said about her that I didn't already cover above...

Maeve: Empress of the Sea. This gurl is a complete psycho. She hates Gaea so much (Gaea represents land while Maeve is the sea) that she continues to try and destroy everything Gaea created in life and symbolically savages her corpse to this day by battering lands with waves and storms. Not exactly sure what her problem is. If the gods can all agree on one thing, it's that Maeve shouldn't inherit the Dragon Throne, so even her "allies" in the Order faction work against her openly in regards to that issue.

Cybelle*: Not much to be said here. She is the goddess of virginity, young love, etc. Prone to tantrums but overall she seems to be a decent person.

Hero*: Does this guy even count as a god? The First Crow, Hero was made an immortal soul as a punishment and is forced to live out the final battles of wars across the cosmos over and over again. His amnesia doesn't exactly help matters either.

Yaga*: Goddess of death and knowledge. She collects the final breathes of the fallen, recording their sins so that they may be judged properly in the afterlife. Yaga has a weird problem in that she is incapable of seeing the present and can only see the past and future. I have a theory behind this, hear me out. What if she wasn't always blind to the present? With the limited lore on the gods we have access to, she could very well have had sight of the present at one point. Now what if this blindness set in when a certain goddess died? See where i'm going? Cybelle, Gaea, Yaga, they all have a strange connection it seems. Cybelle represents a woman in the prime of her youth. Gaea is that woman in motherhood and Yaga is her as an elder crone on death's doorstep. Yaga's loss of present sight could be tied to the loss of Gaea, being the middle bridge in life between youth/the past and old age/the future. If this theory proves true, it could also suggest that the three goddesses may in fact form one complete being, but who knows? Just a theory I have.

D'orion: He's dead. He was also kind of a jerk in life.His best friend, a mortal hunter, died due to D'orion's arrogance and D'orion didn't seem to care all that much, he got a sweet new cloak out of the deal. In this story, we actually see Malekai (who is admittedly incredibly evil nowadays) take on a sort of twisted anti-hero role by taking the corpses of the slain beast and the mortal hunter and combining them into the first Minotaur to seek eternal vengeance against D'orion.

Malekai*: Now, this guy doesn't seem like he was always so twistedly evil. He was once a merry god, but his father, Kronos, didn't quite approve of his son and took away his tongue and mouth. This over the top punishment twisted Malekai into a psychotic monster who sends spiders into the brains of mortals, driving them insane. Not the nicest dude these days.

Kronos: Read the bit about Malekai? Then you know how cruel this god is already. Kronos isn't known for taking action very often, preferring to watch events unfold. However, as we see with Malekai, action is not beyond this voyeuristic deity. There is a bit of a recent mystery surrounding Kronos, for you see, the moon was destroyed and nobody is quite sure how or why. However, everyone knows one thing for sure. As the debris cleared, it was the image of Kronos who stared down from on high. Whether he caused the Moon's destruction or simply bore witness to whoever did, he isn't saying.

Zaleena*: She is the one and only god not in some way descended from Valkyn. Even Hero was human once, and humans are the children of Gaea who is in turn the daughter of Valkyn. Zaleena is instead descended from the Dragons Valkyn tied up like pretzels to form the universe. Malekai stole one of their eggs and hid it away to raise as his own child. As such, Zaleena is very much a trickster like the man who raised her, but seems to favor deception through seduction rather than twisted humor.

Illara*: Last but certainly not least, Illara is probably one of the more powerful divines. She is the only one with the knowledge and power to escape the Hunger should it consume all, really, she could save everybody if she wanted to, but that's the thing, she really doesn't give a flying squirrel. Goddess of Cats, she is about as disinterested and uncaring as those felines are. She is also easily annoyed and easily bored. Mortals who seek her out rarely survive their conversation as she seems to wipe away the life annoying her as easily and coldly as a bored child might burn away ants with a magnifying glass. In some ways, I actually really like her. She doesn't get involved in the politics of her family or of mortals, instead pursuing her own desires and interests, which is how she found a way to escape the Hunger in the first place. I can also sort of relate with the easily bored and disinterested thing admittedly...

And a swell foop it was.

Kronos is the brother of Valkyn, possibly the inventor of time itself. 

In Greek mythology (not CF), Khronos was Zeus' (father of the Greek gods) father.

Edited by BurgundytheRed

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

Nice overview. Very well done.

But i wouldn't say that Gaea is Valkyns daughter. She is part of the trinity goddess who is Valkyns sister (i like to refer to her as Cygaya). The circumstance that Maeve and Gaea are half-sisters might simply mean that they have the same mother (while mother might be a very abstract term, since there is no such person known in the pantheon at all - maybe their mother is "existance" itself). I would see it like this

VYFHMSX.jpg

By the way, where did you get your information about D'Orions cloak story. Haven't heard about that up to now.

edit: new picture

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

And a swell foop it was.

Kronos is at least as old as Valkyn, possibly the inventor of time itself. 

In Greek mythology (not CF), Khronos was Zeus' (father of the Greek gods) father.

Hmmm...

Possibly, but if so, then that implies there may indeed be several more gods beyond the Universe of Crowfall and that Valkyn is in fact, -not- the Father of All. Kronos may be a sibling or older relation of Valkyn possibly, but then why would they be stuck in this universe with everyone else? Did Valkyn seal all the other gods of Crowfall in here with him? How does Illara know how to escape this alleged prison if nobody else can, particularly gods like Kronos and Yaga who can see time itself?

Kronos not being a child of Valkyn brings many more questions than answers if it turns out to be true.

Nice overview. Very well done.

But i wouldn't say that Gaea is Valkyns daughter. She is part of the trinity goddess who is Valkyns sister (i like to refer to her as Cygaya). The circumstance that Maeve and Gaea are half-sisters might simply mean that they have the same mother (while mother might be a very abstract term, since there is no such person known in the pantheon at all - maybe their mother is "existance" itself). I would see it like this

VYFHMSX.jpg

By the way, where did you get your information about D'Orions cloak story. Haven't heard about that up to now.

The cloak story can be found on the myrmidon archetype page. It's the origin story for the Myrmidon.

http://crowfall.com/en/archetypes/myrmidon/

Thanks for the link.

Kronos not being a child of Valkyn brings many more questions than answers if it turns out to be true.

Well, he is not his child, and he is not older than valkyn.

"Next, you have the All-Father’s younger brother and sister: Khronos the Watcher and Yaga the Crone. These three siblings are really cosmic-level in terms of scope and power; they represent the primal forces of Space, Time and Magic." Link

Edited by Kraahk

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Thanks for the link.

Well, he is not his child, and he is not older than valkyn.

"Next, you have the All-Father’s younger brother and sister: Khronos the Watcher and Yaga the Crone. These three siblings are really cosmic-level in terms of scope and power; they represent the primal forces of Space, Time and Magic." Link

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the additional read. I shall give it a good read over and revisit this discussion when done.

VYFHMSX.jpg

Nice graphic, but there's two things that should be corrected: The Stoneborn were born from Gaea and Kane and with the birth of D'Orion also came the race of Elkin (Stalkers) 

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Well, glad to see I was right about Cybelle, Gaea and Yaga, feel kinda silly though that it was already publicly announced. Ah well, we're all new to the community once. ;3

On one bright note, at least most of the gods have a reason to fight one another. Hate it when factions are thrown in that have little to no reason to be fighting in the first place or in some cases should be long finished with fighting. (Looking at you Horde and Alliance)

And on a darker note, DAMN CROWFALL LORE IS DARK YO! The portrait of Gaea suggests it may not of been the birth of the Forgemasters that killed her, but suicide by wrist slitting -.-

Nice graphic, but there's two things that should be corrected: The Stoneborn were born from Gaea and Kane and with the birth of D'Orion also came the race of Elkin (Stalkers) 

There are hints that Kane is their father but it isn't written down anywhere. So i tend to keep the question mark. The picture contains the Elken, but i forgot to translate it (Hirschen). But the Myrmidons and Guineceans are missing. Both are not really Children of the Gods, but kind of.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

it's funny you liked / starred Illara and not Kronos, as from your description, besides the cats there ain't much difference.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

There is a difference. Kronos cares, we just don't know what he cares about or what his motives are. He isn't above taking an active role in the universe on rare occasions.

Illara on the other hand, she doesn't care and her motives are known. She just wants to do her thing, practicing her conjurations and studying the cosmos. She has no interest in what the other gods are doing and doesn't pay them much heed from the looks of it. As far as we know, Illara has never had any meaningful interactions with other gods or even mortals, but Kronos has.

There are hints that Kane is their father but it isn't written down anywhere. So i tend to keep the question mark. The picture contains the Elken, but i forgot to translate it (Hirschen). But the Myrmidons and Guineceans are missing. Both are not really Children of the Gods, but kind of.

Myrmidons are technically descended from a Human, making them a child of Gaea, but twisted into a monster by the machinations of Malechai. 

I faintly remember Gaea giving intelligence to Guineceans (but can't remember the source, have to scavenge some...) making them really close to a Child of a God.

Edit: Ahh yes, source was the Duelist archetype lore:

In the Time before Time, my kind could not speak. We were a simple people.

Honest, yes. Hard-working, yes... but dim, like the beasts in the field.

One day, our eldest came upon a woman in the woods, her back against a tree. Her skin was pale as snow, her clothing matted with red and brown.

He could see that she was dying. He brought her food, but she would not have it. He brought her water, but she would not drink it. So, instead, he sat beside her and offered her comfort in her last moments. This, she accepted.

She died with her hand upon his head. In that moment, she gave him the Gift: knowledge, intelligence, speech. Not him alone. All of my people.

It is The Gift that you, also, possess. This Gift which was hers, and hers alone, to give.

So Gaea was just my imagination, though it's not impossible...

The Concept Art "matches", she is supposed to be the "incarnation of wisdom and nature", so why not! :D

Edited by Dhorfel

Curious, but does anyone got info on how guilds and gods work together? As in, do members of the same guild need to worship the same god? If not, then what happens when guild members go to worlds where players are divided up by gods? Would guildies end up fighting one another? (That may actually be hilarious tbh)

Would Guild, Factions and Gods cause conflicts in loyalty? That's basically the broad idea of what i'm getting at. If so, I suppose that is intentional? I did hear it mentioned a couple of times that the devs were looking at Crowfall to be a bit like Game of Thrones with its political backstabbing and all.

Curious, but does anyone got info on how guilds and gods work together? As in, do members of the same guild need to worship the same god? If not, then what happens when guild members go to worlds where players are divided up by gods? Would guildies end up fighting one another? (That may actually be hilarious tbh)

Would Guild, Factions and Gods cause conflicts in loyalty? That's basically the broad idea of what i'm getting at. If so, I suppose that is intentional? I did hear it mentioned a couple of times that the devs were looking at Crowfall to be a bit like Game of Thrones with its political backstabbing and all.

Players (and thus Guilds) are not bound by Gods, unless the Guild Leader says so. So in Faction campaigns, unless the Guild decided to break up to fight one another, then they'll all be fighting for the same God

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Players (and thus Guilds) are not bound by Gods, unless the Guild Leader says so. So in Faction campaigns, unless the Guild decided to break up to fight one another, then they'll all be fighting for the same God

Hmmm...

Seems like a good opportunity for guilds to manipulate things if they send players onto the various different factions. Dirty, filthy tactics hehe.