Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crafting skill tree: Blacksmithing

So I was looking at the Blacksmithing skill tree. Thrall vendors? Check. Increase item durability skill? Check. Research points ? Check. Research points?? I couldn't find any official comment (if anyone has found anything, please link) on what exactly that is. I assume it is to do with how new recipes are unlocked. Does anyone know anything about this? In lieu of facts I'm open to wild speculation, groundless criticism, and paranoid ramblings of doom.

Edited by ZaphodBeeblebrox

Your guess is as good as mine. Crafting will probably be one of the last major systems put into the game before launch because we'd need Campaigns to gather materials and craft them. We probably won't get much information until Fall.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

I figure we'll need unused research points in order to unlock a new arcane knowledge recipe or other crafting skill on that tree when an in-game opportunity presents itself. If that's the deal, it seems silly skill bloat, but hopefully the purpose and mechanism of research points will be logical when Mr. Blair explains crafting to us.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Could be some kind of currency that gets used when crafting to increase the quality or stats or effects on a piece of gear when made perhaps.

My thinking is similar in that it says: "Grants Research Points to use when crafting Blacksmithing category items." Thus it makes sense they could be used to increase a crafter's RNG percentage on bettering the item. Or using them to have a random chance of adding a new property. 

I figure we'll need unused research points in order to unlock a new arcane knowledge recipe or other crafting skill on that tree when an in-game opportunity presents itself. If that's the deal, it seems silly skill bloat, but hopefully the purpose and mechanism of research points will be logical when Mr. Blair explains crafting to us.

The reason I don't think it is about unlocking new recipes is because Blair said crafter will start with most of them in the beginning. Yes, he also said some recipes come from disciplines or found in a CW but he didn't seem interested in holding back the variety of items that can be made initially. 

True, but how about some completely unfounded, off of the top of my head thinking?

In the tree, the research skill opens up the recipes and refining skills. I was thinking that as an item is crafted, research points are gained representing the crafters skill in creating that item. The points could be spent to open up options on a recipe like elemental effects or damage mitigation. If research allowed specialization, crafters could be known as "the guy that makes lightning hammers" or "the girl with fire-proof armor". I'd like something like that.

Of course they are more likely to do

I'd hate to speak too soon since they already said they were not planning on making a crafting simulator like SWG but, so far every aspect of the game they have released has been a combination of previous game systems that they have worked on. Since Blix was a part of the SWG crafting system (I believe he created the Bio-Engineer profession too), my guess is that it will work similar to experimentation points.

You spend points from a pool while crafting an item to give a boosted chance of success and a higher max stat value.

The other thing that it might be is a way to specialize in a specific type of crafting. Like if you go down the weapon smithing tree, you may have the choice of getting dagger recipes or sword recipes...you spend points for vertical progression instead of the horizontal progression that you get from training over time.