Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MacArove

NPC Factions

I think a great way to spice up a campaign is to have influencable factions that can sway the tide of battle. They could add soldiers to the fight or provide more resources.

Author and Blogger Brad Hendrickson. Follow at facebook.com/createagrandstory

Make your story something worth telling.

NPC Faction are in Guild Wars 2 WvW as well.

I think NPC Factions and other mechanics (complexitiy) are necessary to keep your Open World PvP from becoming a zerging festival, running down castlewalls all day long, one after another.

These simple concepts of Open World PvP are making the WvW in GW 2 and TESO a bad joke, and very disappointing.

Some NPC Factions could also be controlled by players like in Command & Conquer or Civilization.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

mhh zergling festival is always possible, don't know how to avoid that. Maybe some npc mercenaries can help to balance that zerging festival issue but i don't know that this is a doable solution and how it fits in the game. In the end there is no 100% solution for that you will always have this zerging problem but this is a thing you have to expect in a open world PvP game, you only can try to make it less disappointing.

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

mhh zergling festival is always possible, don't know how to avoid that. Maybe some npc mercenaries can help to balance that zerging festival issue but i don't know that this is a doable solution and how it fits in the game. In the end there is no 100% solution for that you will always have this zerging problem but this is a thing you have to expect in a open world PvP game, you only can try to make it less disappointing.

Thats not right.

This is just a result of uncreative game creation.

You can very well change this completly.

But of course this makes the game more complex and hard/expensive to develop.

But it makes it so much more interesting, or even the only chance to get to make this game interesting in the first place.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I don't like it. I feel if you want to recruit a faction, you have to recruit a player faction to your side. Say I want an edge on my side of the war? Well, how about hiring out a bunch of small guilds or allying with a medium guild? You have more players on your side of the war, and it stimulates the economy. Let's not add NPC into the mix. We have resources to fight over, so let's fight over those. 

As for zerging, I feel that hunger/warmth mechanics and collision will make it harder to do this. Cut off enemy food supply, or ambush the sides with small guerrilla groups when the bulk can't react, and a zerg is more of a target than anything else.

There will be NPCs fighting for your side, at least in your keep/stronghold. You'll be able to set thralls as guards. Beyond that, I don't see the point. As Dondagora said, recruit players. NPCs shouldn't be a replacement for social interactions.

i hope, we can set thralls to be not only guards but also watchoutpoints. like if you have your castle on a certain point and all enemy castles are more than 2 hours of siegeequimpentspeed away. i would like to put thralls somewhere at 30min/1h distance from my keep to let them tell me when enemy armies pass by. (obviously, players could kill them to stop them warning me. but they would have to find them. and i would tell the thralls to hide)

i would not want to have to scout for months where nothing happens as a player.

I think a great way to spice up a campaign is to have influencable factions that can sway the tide of battle. They could add soldiers to the fight or provide more resources.

There may be a way to induce hunger-infected creatures to fight against your enemies, but it would be more subtle than this.

ACE has made anti-zerg mechanics a priority in CF. We shall see how well smaller guilds can fare against large, poorly organized guilds at launch.

i hope, we can set thralls to be not only guards but also watchoutpoints. like if you have your castle on a certain point and all enemy castles are more than 2 hours of siegeequimpentspeed away. i would like to put thralls somewhere at 30min/1h distance from my keep to let them tell me when enemy armies pass by. (obviously, players could kill them to stop them warning me. but they would have to find them. and i would tell the thralls to hide)

i would not want to have to scout for months where nothing happens as a player.

Buildings will be able to accept thralls into slots, so yes, it might be possible to put thralls on your borders to warn your guild of enemy encroachment.

Of course, raiders would likely break-down your watchtowers for the materials and take your thralls if they're unattended.

You seem to think you can play CF alone. You'll need a guild to be successful. Scouts will be necessary on the borders and near POIs.

Also, strongholds will only be vulnerable to assault part of the time, so raiders can't destroy your castle while your guild is mostly asleep.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

The game has factions you can influence. They are called guilds and are composed of players.

I think that the questions here are more related to how fun your experience will be depending on what time you play the game. Hence coming to a conclusion that npc's would be necessary. Personally I'm also curious to see how this will be implemented. Things like the blood stones... when will they spawn? what if they spawn while one faction is actively online and the opponent is not. How much strategy will be left if you have 1 group vs 3 groups. How much will guilds have to interrupt RL in order to stay competitive?

I don't think npc's would make much of a difference though... having an npc scout report to an empty keep won't be very usefull either, besides keeping the server busy.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

Has no one mentioned the mass tax in processing power NPC factions will add? Each NPC in the world is 1 player who is not. (The ratio might not be that bad, but even 10-1 isnt worth it). This isnt even getting into the inevitable exploitation and game-ruining edge-cases this will introduce.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?