Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Meet the Druid - Official discussion thread

We will see how it plays.....I am glad to finally see a nuker type char though...Even if it has to have heals on it.... This, if plays well was one of the classes I was most interested in.  I would like to see a ranged magic nuker glass cannon still somewhere.

I think the heat mechanic is interesting, I think I would of preferred a "charge" mechanic tho. Start with 5 nature charges, healing/support abilities consume them (your LMB could of been a hold/charge ability similar to the ranger, but you can move at 80% decreased speed, the longer you charge, the bigger the radius of the heal and more potent, consumes more charges). Switching to "nuke" mode, if you hit enemies with your abilities, you get 1 charge per successful ability hit. You also gain 1 charge every 10 seconds (it would mean you could potentially heal every 10 seconds if you couldn't hit anybody in nuke mode). 

Cool downs in heal mode would be way lower, but you'd be limited to what you can do by the charges system (you could only ever have 5 charges on you, which means 5 "okay" heals, or 2 "pretty damn strong heals" depending on your choice, before you'd have to switch back to nuke mode to get more charges).

Either way, I like the fact we'll get another healer ;p.

Edited by helix

We will see how it plays.....I am glad to finally see a nuker type char though...Even if it has to have heals on it.... This, if plays well was one of the classes I was most interested in.  I would like to see a ranged magic nuker glass cannon still somewhere.

Pretty sure its been hinted at that the Confessor through one of its promotion classes can be spec'd into that role. Again, what we see now of these class are just the base kits not what they may be able to be built into when all the class and progression systems come online.

I doubt the Druid will be the best option for Ranged magic DPS. That would be rather OP if they have the best heal toolkit + the best magic DPS kit. Maybe though they can be spec'd to do better DPS but likely will come at the cost of less efficient healing.

Edited by pang

sorry if been asked

does the "swap to nuking" have to actually hit a target to stop from self immolation or can the nuking power just be used to reverse the self-harm mechanic?

I would love to have this new Druid be like the old Sentinel from Shadowbane.

Heal others until he is charged up, then run out and "Sentinel nuke/bomb" a group....Destroying himself, but a very powerful bomb. The more heals....the more powerfull his nuke/bomb is.

And the more he heals, the more he risks blowing up accidentally (and blowing up his friends around him)

Would be a great class, and definitely bring a unique playstyle/class to Crowfall.

This would not be a firehose healer like they promised they would not put in, and would make playing a healer much more enjoyable.

Just a thought.........

Edited by snowmizer

dulpoa76627.png

sorry if been asked

does the "swap to nuking" have to actually hit a target to stop from self immolation or can the nuking power just be used to reverse the self-harm mechanic?

It's likely there will be some buffs on the nuke tray, so you won't have to burn down a tree just to purge some excess nature power.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Please make it so the self immolation damage you take for failing to purge cannot be negated by regen from campfire.  It would be lame if people could get around the mechanic simply by standing in a particular place and spam heals without any consequences.

I love the yin/yang idea, but I'm not sure the self-immolation is the way to go. At the very least, if you want to go with self-damage as the tradeoff, make it a smooth transition. Every healing spell you cast adds 10 to your "yin," just for example (really different abilities should add different amounts). Once you go over 50, you start dealing damage to yourself each time you heal another (maybe a percentage of the healing "damage"?). Then, you swap to your offense bar ("yang") where you "spend" your yin points to boost your attack spells. Each yang spell consumes 10 points of yin (again, simplistic example numbers) and adds 10 points to your yang pool. Once you go over 50 on yang, you start dealing less damage, maybe, or suffering longer cooldowns. So you swap back to yin whenever you'd like and start spending your yang points to boost your healing/support spells.

Something along those lines. The trick is to make it pretty fluid, so that you're encouraged to sometimes stay in healing/support mode longer, but sometimes have a large incentive to switch sooner. Warhammer Online's Archmagen had a simlar mechanic, but it's was just 5 black magic and 5 white magic. Each ability you used in offense built up 1 black magic, and each ability in healing built up 1 white magic. When you cast an offensive spellb it instantly consumed all your white magic and applied a bonus, akin to roughly 20% potency per point, to your spell. Same with healing spells and black magic. The problem was this: There was a huge incentive to cast 5 spells of one type, THEN switch for a huge boost, but constantly switching back and forth was a measurably/mathematically bad idea.

So, you really need 2 things with the Druid's mechanic:

1) An incentive to stay in one role or the other for a decent while at a time (5/6/7 abilities in a row or so).

2) An incentive to switch between yin and yang much more often at times.

Other thoughts: what if the two different ability bars mirrored each other? What I mean is, what if your #2 ability in offense was some strangling roots ability that dealt damage and maybe slowed people caught in its radius or something, and the #2 ability on the healing/support bar was ALSO a roots ability, but instead it grew roots up onto your targets to provide them with temporary armor/regeneration? That sort of thing?

Also also, what if you somehow worked it into the combo system? Offense offense HEAL, or offense offense BIG OFFENSE? Or, maybe some more flexibility with the combat system would work well with the Druid.

Also also also... A sports clothing line made for Druids. The slogan: "Just Dru It!"

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

Agree with some of the points made before. I'm not sure how the concept of balance between a yin and yang element holds up if there's only a drawback to using the healing side.

Self-immolation might be interesting, particularly if it boosts the damage of spells in nuke mode or increases the duration or strength of roots (which I'm confident there will be) or other CC.

Maybe nuking could have a similar drawback and effect. The more damage you cause the weaker your attacks become, but you get a stacking self-heal over time in prep for switching into heal mode and as a means of lessening the self-immolation effect for stopping healing.

Edit: I hope those healing orbs take some inspiration from the league of legends champion Bard. i.e they slowly get stronger after being placed (up to a maximum). Maybe they could offer a speed buff too if they're taken early with a weaker heal.

Edited by PsionCCC

I really like the concept art and costume patterns, the skull is really cool

my only gripe is the heels on the 3D model

you think a druid would be more comfortable being barefoot to be attuned with nature and all that... just seems really out of place

I guess she's doing a runway in the Lost Woods after some siege

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

I really like the concept art and costume patterns, the skull is really cool

my only gripe is the heels on the 3D model

you think a druid would be more comfortable being barefoot to be attuned with nature and all that... just seems really out of place

I guess she's doing a runway in the Lost Woods after some siege

perhaps even a druid doesn't want to step in Hellcat poop...

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I am not sure I like the direction of having multiple hot bars.  If the developers feel there is not enough skills on a bar then add another row that uses a shift modifier or make a bigger hotbar.  Switching between hot-bars Playing the Ranger makes the transition awkard and clumsy.

It is almost like they are tying to create artificial complexity.  By doing so, IMHO, cheapens the feel of the game.

I am not sure I like the direction of having multiple hot bars.  If the developers feel there is not enough skills on a bar then add another row that uses a shift modifier or make a bigger hotbar.  Switching between hot-bars Playing the Ranger makes the transition awkard and clumsy.

It is almost like they are tying to create artificial complexity.  By doing so, IMHO, cheapens the feel of the game.

I think that's the point of having to switch between trays.

Just like the Ranger has to accept consequences for switching or staying, the Druid will have risk & reward associated with tray choice.

Instead of saying such a choice cheapens the game, we should say why the idea seems bad or offer constructive criticism after trying it out.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I am not sure I like the direction of having multiple hot bars. If the developers feel there is not enough skills on a bar then add another row that uses a shift modifier or make a bigger hotbar. Switching between hot-bars Playing the Ranger makes the transition awkard and clumsy.

It is almost like they are tying to create artificial complexity. By doing so, IMHO, cheapens the feel of the game.

Agreed. The game is not better or more interesting by adding needless keystrokes, cooldowns and clunkiness.

Archeage actually did this right. One hot bar for all skills. Seemlesly switching between bow and swords was so nice and smooth.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

I really love the hotbar swap mechanic. It reminds me of some of my favorite characters from Smite, hel and ullor. They were not clunky and really fun to play with smooth skillbar swaps.

I think a lot of the chunkiness is due to skill responsiveness which is still not very good.