Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YouTubejasonwivart

What is your Ideal Campaign lengeth? Player limit?

​How long do you want the campaigns to be? There are 4 seasons and each season I would assume is the same length of time. If this is all true how long do you think/want the campaigns to be.

8 days?

​28 days or (1 month)?

​56 days or (2 months)?

​120 days or (4 months)?

365 days or (1 year)?

365 days+?

And then what about player limit on these campaigns? There are suppose to be multiple matches going on at the same time so the population will be really spread out... How many people do you think need to be in the campaigns to make them interesting?

100?
500?
1,000?
​2,500?
5,000?
​10,000?
​10,000+?

​Lastly how many campaigns should be going on during the same time?

​2?
​3?
4?
5?
10?
​15?
20?
​20+?
Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

Most campaigns will last 1-3 months so:

• If a campaign lasts 1 month, each season will last 7.5 days, pretty much a week
  • If a campaign lasts 2 months, each season will last 15 days, pretty much 2 weeks
  • If a campaign lasts 3 months, each season will last 22.5 days, pretty much 3 weeks
  • If a campaign lasts 12 months, each season will last 90 days, which is 3 months

I think 1,000-2,000 players is a good enough number per campaign

Considering there are 4 different bands of campaigns, I think having 2 of each running simultaneously is a good amount for players to pick from, so 8

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

12 weeks (3 per season)

1000-2000 active players per campaign (depending on the size of the map)

As many as needed for population needs

MOkvLlm.png

Recently I realized that Crowfall combat felt "great" at ~30 players in the same battle. I thought it was a satisfying number, even though before I was all for hundreds of players on the same battlefield. In some games it makes sense, but in Crowfall having so many players in one large battle may seem really messy and not appropriate.

So my preference has pretty much shifted from "long campaigns with thousands of concurrent online players" to something a lot smaller.

I like to have always a lot of players around me, either allies or enemies, and I realized that if the map is continent sized and players are spread all around it, it would probably mean that only very very populated campaigns would allow me to have players all around.

6-12 weeks

~500 "online" players

Small to medium maps

30-40 campaigns running simultaneously

I'm hoping the number of campaigns will get adjusted on the go, depending on how active the game / server is, else I fear people might start complaining about being stuck in their EK for no good reason, so i agree with Ziz. As for how long and how many players, I'll let that up to the devs / community to provide the right mix. I expect trial and error will balance that out anyway.

Dear ace, it was wrong of me to feel scammed, as time goes by, I realize that more and more. Thank you for letting me sell my account!

-a very satisfied customer-

Recently I realized that Crowfall combat felt "great" at ~30 players in the same battle. I thought it was a satisfying number, even though before I was all for hundreds of players on the same battlefield. In some games it makes sense, but in Crowfall having so many players in one large battle may seem really messy and not appropriate.

So my preference has pretty much shifted from "long campaigns with thousands of concurrent online players" to something a lot smaller.

I like to have always a lot of players around me, either allies or enemies, and I realized that if the map is continent sized and players are spread all around it, it would probably mean that only very very populated campaigns would allow me to have players all around.

6-12 weeks

~500 "online" players

Small to medium maps

30-40 campaigns running simultaneously

Sadly, I don't there is any way to tell or guess how many player are actively going to be playing in a campaign at the same time. Everyone will have different play times. In order to get 500 online I would think that would mean around 2000-3000 players in total but again I don't know and this is just a wild guess.

Or is your suggestion capping the campaign at 500 players?

I didn't want to sway the votes by giving my opinion in the 1st post but now I will

I think shortish campaigns of  8 days to 3 months would be the best.

I would like them to start out with a lot of the smaller/short 8 days ones to test out different rule sets and then finally find out what people really like and have a longer one after they figure out what a lot of players really like playing.

Size of population is really tricky as we wont know how many players are actually gonna actively play, meaning caps need to be pretty high 5000 like or so. If you cap the campaigns at say 1000 players but the majority of these players only log in once per day for about 2 hours at a time there world may seem very empty. This is another reason, I think starting out with shorter campaigns is ideal. It allows for testing out how long players play sessions are, how big the maps need to be and finding the right balance for all this.

It would be really nice to see 500-1000 players online at the same time in one campaign. I expect a lot of the campaigns to be faction/team//god based so it will be like 2 warring factions or 4 or 6, if this is the case each faction needs to have at least a few hundred members, hence why we should have 500-1000 active players.

Based on what I sad above I don't think there should be that many campaigns going on at the same time, as we need the population somewhat together. The amount of campaigns is IMO based on how many active players there are overall. For ever 5,000 active players there should be 1 campaign going on. Meaning if we have a total of 500,000 players there would be 100 different campaigns going on at the same time. I think the dregs for instance should be locked for a period of time until people are geared up some and the game has progressed. This does not mean each campaign will have 5,000 players. Some of these players will be only EK players doing that stuff, some will be bots,spammers, gold sellers etc.

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

i dont know, how construction works. but i thought, i would take a week or longer to built a stronghold. that would of course make longer campaigns interesting.

how much players should be in a CW to me depends on how big that CW is. I'd say, somewhere around maximum 100 players per square kilometer.

another question is, how fast will crafting be? do you need some seconds or some hours to craft a complete armor set for one player? all these determine the time a CW should be up to be fun. If i need a week to built a stronghold, a CW with sieges which lasts a week makes no sense.

There's no ideal campaign length. Campaigns have to end when there's a clear winner.

Surely campaigns with pre-determined factions will need time limits, but I am hardly against fixed time limits for campaigns like the shadow or the dregs.

Set up a decent victory condition and let alliances fight for it without limits... so the campaign might last 3 months, 6 months, 12 months or even more if needed.

About player limit: I don't want that. For sure there will be a limit based on server capacities, but that's it.

Run enough campaigns to sustain the overall population of Crowfall, but don't limit them in size.

If a player wants to play on the overpopulated X campaign, let him wait in the queue.

That being said, given a population 10x bigger than the actual number of backers, I expect not more than 1 campaign PER region PER ruleset.

Which means roughly 8 campaigns between europe and america.

With an average online population of 2000-5000 per server, I expect ~20000 total players per campaign aka something like 200k total players at the start.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Sadly, I don't there is any way to tell or guess how many player are actively going to be playing in a campaign at the same time. Everyone will have different play times. In order to get 500 online I would think that would mean around 2000-3000 players in total but again I don't know and this is just a wild guess.

Or is your suggestion capping the campaign at 500 players?

I'm pretty sure that it's possible for the devs, after the first campaigns have been tested, to estimate roughly how high to put the player cap for a certain campaign to get about ~500 players online simultaneously at peak time. They could say, for a 2 months long campaign, that they need about 3,000 registered players to ensure that there are a few hundreds online daily, then make adjustment by letting more players join mid-campaign, to compensate for the expected depopulation, etc.

~500 online players in a map that is let's say 25-50 times as big as the Hunger Dome would make sense for an average campaign imo.

I like the idea of the longer campaigns personally. 1 or 2 months is just too short in my opinion. The short campaigns favor the hectic rush type players. Whereas the longer campaigns would allow for more tactical players, who have to think about the long term.

as far as i remember, they said, the reward for longer CW will be better. will it just be better than shorter ones or will it be better than playing shorter ones for the same time?

Edited by Gromschlog

as far as i remember, they said, the reward for longer CW will be better. will it just be better than shorter ones or will it be better than playing shorter ones for the same time?

Yes, the rewards for the longer CW will be better, this was stated in a interview or video from ACE. One of the core things is risk verse rewards, the more risky the better rewards. It will be more beneficial to play the longer ones if you win, iirc some campaigns wont rewards the losers anything. Playing a ton of shorter ones wont net you as good of rewards for winning all of them than sticking to a longer one and winning it, that was pretty much the exact words they said in their interview. They also said there will be something to discourage players jumping into the Campaigns at or near the end and joining the winning side. Participation matters and I guess time spent in the campaign matters as well.

A lot of this stuff is still up in the air though, I know they talked about 1 year campaigns a while back but we have no info if they will add those or were just using them as a base line. As more info comes out we can get a better gauge on these things.

I like the idea of the longer campaigns personally. 1 or 2 months is just too short in my opinion. The short campaigns favor the hectic rush type players. Whereas the longer campaigns would allow for more tactical players, who have to think about the long term.

Please post what you think ideally the length should be,

There's no ideal campaign length. Campaigns have to end when there's a clear winner.

Surely campaigns with pre-determined factions will need time limits, but I am hardly against fixed time limits for campaigns like the shadow or the dregs.

Set up a decent victory condition and let alliances fight for it without limits... so the campaign might last 3 months, 6 months, 12 months or even more if needed.

About player limit: I don't want that. For sure there will be a limit based on server capacities, but that's it.

Run enough campaigns to sustain the overall population of Crowfall, but don't limit them in size.

If a player wants to play on the overpopulated X campaign, let him wait in the queue.

That being said, given a population 10x bigger than the actual number of backers, I expect not more than 1 campaign PER region PER ruleset.

Which means roughly 8 campaigns between europe and america.

With an average online population of 2000-5000 per server, I expect ~20000 total players per campaign aka something like 200k total players at the start.

I agree that they should all have WIN conditions but they should have timers as well because what happens if that win condition is never met? I think there has to be both.

I'd love for this game to be able to pull off the same amount of concurrent players as WoW realms did (around 4-5k at one time).

Considering the campaign worlds are going to be very large I'd love for the world to feel alive and full of people throughout the whole world. It would kind of suck to have the world be barren except for the few trade hotspots.

I like 1 month campaigns.  1 week each season (if there are 4).  Played in ESO and originally they had 90 day campaigns which I thought were too long.  However this game is a bit different so who knows.

I'd go for 1500 players, 500 per order.

Edited by ibkillin

I agree that they should all have WIN conditions but they should have timers as well because what happens if that win condition is never met? I think there has to be both.

If the condition is never met on the shadow or the dregs, where alliances are supposed to fight, then the server doesn't deserve to be closed.

y9tj8G5.png

Played in ESO and originally they had 90 day campaigns which I thought were too long.

Thats because eso was pointless. It didnt matter if you took a keep, or killed a player or anything else.... So the only thing that kinda mattered was the end of 90day reset/reward. And waiting throught 90 days of meaningless crap was a long time

In CF you will have changing seasons that break it up, and killing people to take their stuff actually matters. Holding a small ore deposit for two days before it gets discovered and over run has meaning.

So how ever long the campaign is, hopefuly it is meaningful durring the campaign and not just at the end.

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png