Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
farland

Emulator

well, a lot of people here seem to crap on either one. one for being ran by a bunch of control freaks and the other one for being ran by 2 "russians" behind the curtain who abandoned their project (and yet still runs better than the other...js).

I think they're just avoiding a simple truth: they don't want to play shadowbane anymore. And that's not an insult. One emu had people beating down the doors (and other things rumored) to get a closed beta invite. The other emu had 500 pop consistently no matter what time of day for a while with a strong economy. Now, neither emu has that. Why? People realized they don't want to play shadowbane anymore.

They remember the feeling of love, but they're not still in love with the game. That's why they either don't play either emu or if they did it was short lived. The fact remains: we can't relive any of those memories on live. We can hop across gaming forums and recant our tales of glory, rehash our version of history, and re-argue the numbers for the 100th time. We can watch youtube videos and share screenshots; but it will never be that time in our lives that we once had no matter how good the emu.

magicbane really is the better choice right now objectively, due to the fact that SBEMU is simply put no longer shadowbane (irekei mage confessors, dwarf scouts etc)

regardless, either get stale quickly if you are not part of a guild/group of players and actively WANT to play the game

I hear alota people wana play sb again why not just get the emulator just saying

Depends what you call a lot. If 200 people in a MMO is a lot to you, then yes a lot of players are playing SB again.

As headlight said also.

well, a lot of people here seem to crap on either one. one for being ran by a bunch of control freaks and the other one for being ran by 2 "russians" behind the curtain who abandoned their project (and yet still runs better than the other...js).

I think they're just avoiding a simple truth: they don't want to play shadowbane anymore. And that's not an insult. One emu had people beating down the doors (and other things rumored) to get a closed beta invite. The other emu had 500 pop consistently no matter what time of day for a while with a strong economy. Now, neither emu has that. Why? People realized they don't want to play shadowbane anymore.

They remember the feeling of love, but they're not still in love with the game. That's why they either don't play either emu or if they did it was short lived. The fact remains: we can't relive any of those memories on live. We can hop across gaming forums and recant our tales of glory, rehash our version of history, and re-argue the numbers for the 100th time. We can watch youtube videos and share screenshots; but it will never be that time in our lives that we once had no matter how good the emu.

I agree. I absolutely loved shadowbane and played the emulators. Although it was fun to get back in the game I loved it isn't the same. Gaming has changed and we have all changed and hopefully for the better. Shadowbane was great and I want something similar not the same, I want a game that is better.

stop playing the emu cuz it was ruined, imo...

didn't do MB cuz of old feuds making it not worth the risk/reward

give us a clean and stable server with the actual ruleset from either just before or just after ReBoot...and i bet you have a population

but we all know that just ain't gonna happen...

so...here we are

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Old feuds? Getting a tree taken in game? Lol

nope...not at all...ask around, i've NEVER had that kind of problem with anyone during the entire course of SB

and it's not from my end either...my panties don't get twisted over pixels...

and not with many...from what i've gathered you folks have a LOT of peopke i've fought against over the years, and quite a few i've been in vent with as well...

it's not really important, and has no effect on anyting that's going to happen *here* except my remembering history so i don't repeat past mistakes

cuz we all know...i can readily forgive quite a lot...

but i never forget

FIQw0eP.png

The emulator problems stem from them being emulators and not the real thing. From advertising, to game design, to server potential it just is not the same as when it was being run by a live company. Very little new blood comes into an emulator type game because unless you know it is out there, no one knows to look. This also means there are even some old vets who many not know the game exists.

Game design choices on one of the emulators has turned some people off and from what I understand the other one has it's own issues too. Combine these with the fact that the games are being run on private servers and you have at least as many technical issues as the game had when it was live, and a player population split between two different emu's and you start to get an idea of how imperfect the situation is.

They are fun to bounce into from time to time, but there is too much going against them to treat them as a perfect replacement for old SB. An SB2 or a game with similar design, advertised to bring in new players, more stable servers and correcting some mistakes of the past I think will in turn bring back a lot of the vets who miss the game when it was live.

thinking you never played MB and you were just tainted by the sbemu experience. Unless you are china's #1 enemy, then I'd understand not wanting to play MB.

lmao...oh yeah...me am CN form Group1!!

dew neh loh moh...

FIQw0eP.png

Shadowbane emulator was always crap.  Never ran well, super buggy, and changing stuff on will simply ruined it.  The worst part is they had some sort of hype train running & constantly worked to convince people they had the "superior product".  It was actually pretty sad/laughable - if you go over there you can see one of their project leads talking about how they "hope crowfall can one day match the standards they set for production value".  They're basically delusional.

Magicbane was actually pretty fun, and I think if the developers put a little more effort in, would still be running fine today.  Not saying who they were didn't help.  It had less to do with people not wanting to play shadowbane, and more with there being two emulators that split the population, and a massive CN issue that ran off a fractured community.  Too many people bought into the hype that they would get "hacked by fake russians" or some crap.

Either way, glad this games coming, as both those projects were destined to fail.

Performance and stability wise, plus original design make MB a better choice, if not for the fake Russians, lack of transparency, lack of any information about wipe since months and certain exploits which are still present since before shut down.

Edited by nefastus

If you're looking for good shadowbane experience, magicbane is a way to go.

SBEmu started as a main project, it had dedicated team of developers who managed to put up a server-side code and polish the game mechanics. The main goal of SBEmu project was to bring us a shadowbane version the way it was before shutdown. However, as soon as leadership and roles in team changed it started going downhill. There was no more bug fixes and game mechanics polishing, it was all about implementing non-existing game content like new monsters and cities. Now it is even worse, because the actual game concept is being reworked and project is no longer moving towards the initial plan.

Terrible topic.

I'm playing on SBEmu with some friends of past that I've reconnected with and the fact I can even play SB at all makes me happy. Why does it matter if they're changing stuff with their Reforged in Flames patches? Why shouldn't the game evolve? If the official servers were still live you think they were going to stop at patch 24.3? Also, from my point of view, the population looks fine. It doesn't have to have a thousand people to be fun and/or successful.

Like I said. I'm happy that I can even play the game at all. I don't know all the details about MB but, iirc, it's stolen code and the two people are hiding their identity. These facts alone makes me want to avoid it. Pretty glad that I don't care enough to look at the "behind the scenes" of the emu's teams and philosophies of what the emulators should or shouldn't be. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm too dumb to put up a good argument. Leave me alone damnit! /hides from this thread.

@Shiden86•<Nendou|Jozefu|MooCow KungPow|KillerBewbies>

"Innovation requires risk; it's a key ingredient. We're comfortable with that, because we firmly believe that the core of this design is solid."

"Some of the people that we've attracted will figure out that this isn't the game for them. They will leave, and we'll thank for them giving our game consideration."