Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crop Growth Data Extravaganza!

IdeaMatrix

I almost put this in off-topic but, I thought that it qualified as technology. I'll be the first to admit that this post is a straight up plug for a really cool project I've been following and researching in tandem. It brings together multiple STEM fields and data science to give a glimps into the future of food.

Here's a polished video about it. If you're interested in knowing more about the project or Aeroponics in general feel free to leave a reply.

Also if any of the devs see this, it might be cool to integrate some of these open source ideas into the game. Maybe help them improve their UI. ????

Edited by IdeaMatrix

It was an interesting video, however it seems to me like the speaker is presenting his extravaganzas (well picked word :P) as an alternative to the current state of agriculture and I fail to see how something so costly and time consuming could be realistically used at larger scale. It's cool I guess to make young city dwellers learn about how growing plants and what conditions are the most efficient, but other than that it looks more like entertaining than a real solution to anything or a project of scientific value. Hard to judge only by a 15 minutes video though. Also, at the beginning of the presentation, he apparently makes an amalgam (by showing the photograph at the moment he mentions GMO) between GMO, malnutrition, climate change, obesity, desertification, etc. and I think it's a bit misleading. Anyway, thanks for posting it, there were a couple things to learn from this!  :)

The "food computer" part of the video is just the data collection part of the process. Controlling the variables and recording data points allows us to learn about plants as a whole. That applies to all kinds of farming. The food "Data Centers" are actually just stacks of modular aeroponic trays. These don't necessarily have unique ecosystems but, may employ a single ecosystem for the entire warehouse of plants. These are actually very cheap and efficient. Aeroponics uses 98% less water than traditional farming because there is no growth substrate. It also allows food to be grown anywhere. The purple light that you see in one of the "Data Centers" is actually a combination of red and blue light diodes, which are the required light wavelengths for plant growth. They allow plants to be grown indoors with no natural lighting. As far as GMO goes, he was using it as an example of the confusion about the word food crisis. Almost all plants that we eat in nature are genetically modified from their original form. I imagine GMO isn't a dirty word for him.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

• 10 months later...