Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CytheS

Laptop for crowfall

Long story short, i'm thinking if my current laptop will not suffice for crowfall and 

to decide whether to get a gaming laptop or not. (the cheaper type)

But i don't really know what kind of specification to decide whether a laptop is

good for gaming or not. (sadly, i'm quite ignorant until now about it)

It's a laptop for gaming without a doubt.

But why is it good for gaming? What is the reason?

Is it the ram amount? Where mine is only 4 GB.

Though been capable to play any mmorpg without any lag problem.

[except when there's 200+ players in same area]

Or maybe the processor? I know almost nothing about this.

Only that mine is : i7-3517U 

I thought that i should know the reason and others before deciding

which to get or what is my decision.

Edited by CytheS

5tcNR0w.png
                                     "A single attack to destroy anything"

Long story short, i'm thinking if my current laptop will not suffice for crowfall and 

to decide whether to get a gaming laptop or not. (the cheaper type)

But i don't really know what kind of specification to decide whether a laptop is

good for gaming or not. (sadly, i'm quite ignorant until now about it)

It's a laptop for gaming without a doubt.

But why is it good for gaming? What is the reason?

Is it the ram amount? Where mine is only 4 GB.

Though been capable to play any mmorpg without any lag problem.

[except when there's 200+ players in same area]

Or maybe the processor? I know almost nothing about this.

Only that mine is : i7-3517U 

I thought that i should know the reason and others before deciding

which to get or what is my decision.

Everything basically, but more specifically, Graphics Card and Ram are important for gaming.

Processor, is very interesting device, it really depends on whether game requires alot of logical operations or not, most of the games do not. But some specific games, especially the ones that allow alot of physics interactions, such as battlefield 4, rely very heavily on processor.

Now the most interesting point about this is, low budget and gaming laptops dont really go together very well. Can you consider buying a desktop instead? Because if you can, you can build your own for significantly lower cost

The GPU (graphics card) will generally be the most important and limiting factor for your machine's capabilities.

(esp. in gaming laptops which have to have lower powered cards due to power and heat limitations)

Then CPU (generally i5 is your best price to power ratio for gaming - i7 more for multitasking. Then depends on the model for its clock speed power.

And try to aim for 8gb ram.

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

i've been looking into this myself recently so here are some tips I picked up about reading specs.

So for GTX graphics cards:

They will have 3 digit numbers. The first digit represents the generation of the cards. We are currently on the 9th generation.

e.g. 960 is one generation higher than 860 - so will be more powerful. 

The second two digits will give you an approximate scale of their power e.g. 920 would be low power 960 mid power and highest power of 980.

Some cards have 'ti' at the end which means they have a slight power boost compared to a card without.

On the subject of gaming laptops - you will see these numbers with an M at the end to mean it is the mobile version - with less power than the desktop equivalent version.

e.g. GTX 960m is a mid range latest generation mobile card. The nearest desktop card in terms of power would be a GTX 750 Ti. (as you see it is an older generation card but the power of the desktop version vs mobile)

i would assume at gtx 960m would be ok for crowfall but can't say at this point for full game - just illustrating desktop vs laptop in basic form as i've come to read about recently

you can use sites / google searches of GTX x vs GTX x to see the equivlant power of GPUs

e.g. GTX 960m vs GTX 960 (mobile vs desktop)

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960M-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

Edited by Tinnis

similar story with CPU power.

at least for intel - first number will be generation - then the other numbers will give an approximate scale of power.

latest is 6th generation.

so for example i5-6200 vs i5-6500 - both 6th generation cpus but the second figures denote their relative power. (low vs mid/high)

i3 / i5 / i7 refers to the number of 'cores' - basically how well it can multi task
(gaming generally doesn't require more than i5 these days)

and like the GPUs - there will be numbers at the end of CPU model to denote if it is lower powered laptop version 'U' (and others)

Edited by Tinnis

i've been looking into this myself recently so here are some tips I picked up about reading specs.

So for GTX graphics cards:

They will have 3 digit numbers. The first digit represents the generation of the cards. We are currently on the 9th generation.

e.g. 960 is one generation higher than 860 - so will be more powerful. 

The second two digits will give you an approximate scale of their power e.g. 920 would be low power 960 mid power and highest power of 980.

Some cards have 'ti' at the end which means they have a slight power boost compared to a card without.

On the subject of gaming laptops - you will see these numbers with an M at the end to mean it is the mobile version - with less power than the desktop equivalent version.

e.g. GTX 960m is a mid range latest generation mobile card. The nearest desktop card in terms of power would be a GTX 750 Ti. (as you see it is an older generation card but the power of the desktop version vs mobile)

i would assume at gtx 960m would be ok for crowfall but can't say at this point for full game - just illustrating desktop vs laptop in basic form as i've come to read about recently

you can use sites / google searches of GTX x vs GTX x to see the equivlant power of GPUs

e.g. GTX 960m vs GTX 960 (mobile vs desktop)

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960M-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

Ti just means that the card is better than the other one, for example, 750ti means its better than 750, the differance can be small , or it can be massive.

Gtx 980 vs Gtx 980ti for example, 980ti is based on whole different chip and offers massive performance boost over 980.

In past, it was basically x ti was the full chip and x was the cut version of that chip. But as of late, nvidia is making it so that X is the full chip and X ti is the cut version of whole other, more powerful chip. (Titan X)

Edited by Eren

Everything basically, but more specifically, Graphics Card and Ram are important for gaming.

Processor, is very interesting device, it really depends on whether game requires alot of logical operations or not, most of the games do not. But some specific games, especially the ones that allow alot of physics interactions, such as battlefield 4, rely very heavily on processor.

Now the most interesting point about this is, low budget and gaming laptops dont really go together very well. Can you consider buying a desktop instead? Because if you can, you can build your own for significantly lower cost

Hnn... now i get the gist of it.

Processor is for the physical interaction mostly & other features depending on the game itself.

I guess that the ram is just like the memory for the running application.

I'm thinking of getting 8GB one, since most game made my ram goes up to 70-80%.

I see, that's another choice.

Though i think that it need some experience in it? Since i'm nowhere near it.

[that said, i seen few where it allow the user to choose the component and let them build it]

similar story with CPU power.

at least for intel - first number will be generation - then the other numbers will give an approximate scale of power.

latest is 6th generation.

so for example i5-6200 vs i5-6500 - both 6th generation cpus but the second figures denote their relative power. (low vs mid/high)

i3 / i5 / i7 refers to the number of 'cores' - basically how well it can multi task

(gaming generally doesn't require more than i5 these days)

and like the GPUs - there will be numbers at the end of CPU model to denote if it is lower powered laptop version 'U' (and others)

That's really educational.

Thanks a lot for the time to post these.

5tcNR0w.png

Hnn... now i get the gist of it.

Processor is for the physical interaction mostly & other features depending on the game itself.

I guess that the ram is just like the memory for the running application.

I'm thinking of getting 8GB one, since most game made my ram goes up to 70-80%.

I see, that's another choice.

Though i think that it need some experience in it? Since i'm nowhere near it.

[that said, i seen few where it allow the user to choose the component and let them build it]

That's really educational.

Thanks a lot for the time to post these.

Ram is basically for storage of real-time data, you have more than game needs, it wont bring you slightest benefit, you have less than it needs, it will really hurt your performance.

My suggestion is go with 8gb one, but make sure you can upgrade it to 12 when you need it, because you will need it in few years.

Ram is basically for storage of real-time data, you have more than game needs, it wont bring you slightest benefit, you have less than it needs, it will really hurt your performance.

My suggestion is go with 8gb one, but make sure you can upgrade it to 12 when you need it, because you will need it in few years

How to upgrade that..?

Also, i'm quite tight in budget as well. Around $700 is what i can use at best.

5tcNR0w.png

How to upgrade that..?

Also, i'm quite tight in budget as well. Around $700 is what i can use at best.

that brings us to the other point not mentioned yet.

if you get a laptop: you are stuck with the specs when you buy it.

if you get a desktop: you can upgrade indivudal compotents as required over time.

(e.g. add more RAM, better faster hard drive like a SSD, or upgrade CPU or GPU)

curious what you've got now and what you've got your eye on.

(i can only give so much input though - i'm in the UK not US so different pricing and availability)

Edited by Tinnis

if you get a laptop: you are stuck with the specs when you buy it.

This isn't really true anymore. Many gaming laptops will allow you to respec various elements, with some (MXM) even allowing you to replace GPUs. Many will be fairly easy replacements/swaps for RAM, HDD/SSD or replacing a disk bay.

@OP

I run with an MSI GS40. It's got a 970m and it runs the tests fine. 960m will probably be acceptable but if you're buying newer laptops, I'd aim for 970. 8gb RAM is what you should aim for as others have stated.

Edited by taroskin

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

This isn't really true anymore. Many gaming laptops will allow you to respec various elements, with some (MXM) even allowing you to replace GPUs. Many will be fairly easy replacements/swaps for RAM, HDD/SSD or replacing a disk bay.

Ah, cool. 90s/00s mindset! :P

i bought an Asus Rog.. works great so far.

• Windows 10 operating system
    Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

• 15.6" Full HD display
    1920 x 1080 resolution produces crisp, sharp visuals. IPS technology for wide viewing angles.

• 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ processor
    Powerful quad-core, eight-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't.

• 16GB system memory for intense multitasking and gaming
    Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

• 1TB hard drive and 128GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed
    The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

• Slide-off upgrade panel
    Allows easy access to the interior, so you can upgrade your system whenever you want.

• NVIDIA GTX 960M graphics
    Driven by 4GB dedicated video memory to deliver lifelike visuals for games and videos.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

i bought an Asus Rog.. works great so far.

• Windows 10 operating system

Windows 10 brings back the Start Menu from Windows 7 and introduces new features, like the Edge Web browser that lets you markup Web pages on your screen. Learn more ›

• 15.6" Full HD display

1920 x 1080 resolution produces crisp, sharp visuals. IPS technology for wide viewing angles.

• 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ processor

Powerful quad-core, eight-way processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing energy efficiency when you don't.

• 16GB system memory for intense multitasking and gaming

Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.

• 1TB hard drive and 128GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed

The hard drive provides ample storage, while the SSD delivers faster start-up times and data access.

• Slide-off upgrade panel

Allows easy access to the interior, so you can upgrade your system whenever you want.

• NVIDIA GTX 960M graphics

Driven by 4GB dedicated video memory to deliver lifelike visuals for games and videos.

I was looking to purchase this Laptop too. Good to know it works well. I have an Alienware 13" Laptop now, and that screen is just too small!

To anyone buying a gaming based laptop, I'd suggest you look into Thunderbolt 3 and do a little research on that, specifically in relation to external GPUs. Over the next 4-18 months we will see e-GPUs become increasingly more viable and commonplace.

This allows your laptop or notebook to game within a few percentage points of the power of a Desktop without causing your laptop unnecessary load or expense. You'll have a desktop grade GPU in a housing unit at your desk. Come home with your laptop, plug in and now you have (basically) desktop grade graphics power.

For more casual reading on this, a good first stop is looking at the Razer Core. It is being paired up with a laptop that is more of an ultrabook (integrated graphics), but plugs into what I described above. This allows the laptop to be extremely thin and more about battery life, build quality and usability rather than gaming - but at no sacrifice to gaming at home due to just plugging in to that enclosure.

Unfortunately, this tech won't be backwards compatible as it relies on the USB type C port, with thunderbolt3 functionality. It will also require the laptop's manufacturer to support some of the functionality (similar to how optimus worked for switching between discrete GPU/integrated) via BIOS updates.

The bottom line is if you're looking to futureproof a gaming grade notebook, you might want to look into those with Thunderbolt 3 port functionality, or better yet, a laptop built specifically with e-GPUs in mind. It's looking like this setup is becoming much less of a gimmick and much more functionally viable - we'll see in the coming months.

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl