Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VIKINGNAIL

ACE how many campaigns can one account play simultaneously?

The point is that character slots are gone. We "are using vessels instead of dedicated slots" to play in Crowfall. You no longer get character slots, but rather an unlimited number of vessels. Your "character" is now a spirit that can inhabit a vessel of any archetype. You are no longer limited to three characters.

That's not what we're discussing. We're talking about the fact that before the basic game copy was allowing us to have 3 characters to play in 3 different campaigns, while now, if our interpretation of the Q&A is correct, we will only be able to participate to 1 campaign with a basic game copy.

Before: 3 campaigns, now: 1 campaign.

I doubt you sincerely believe that 2 out of 3 characters coming with the original game copy were meant to stay in the Eternal Kingdoms.

You could also play them in the same campaign. I have always had multiple characters on the same server (campaign) in other mmorpgs.

IhhQKY6.gif

You could also play them in the same campaign. I have always had multiple characters on the same server (campaign) in other mmorpgs.

"[...] is it allowed to buy and use multiple accounts to bypass the 1-character (per campaign) limit on normal and VIP accounts?"
"We aren't fans. However, there's really not a whole lot we can do about it. The thing we can try is: ensure that there's so much to do with an active character that playing multiple would likely mean you aren't performing at 100% effectiveness on either."

"Probably not - we want to encourage players to play a single character within a campaign, so we’re putting design rules in place to encourage that. An upshot of this design is that the best “crafters” won’t generally be alternate characters, because it’s not a very effective strategy."

It does matter: with a basic account ($38 at the time) we were able to play in 3 campaigns simultaneously. Now we would have to pay $128 to achieve the same thing. The only people who don't care would be those who are fine with paying $128 for something that was said to cost $38.

I was agreeing with you (the argument ain't changed much from last year when I first introduced the issue), but yea my post was confusing so I fixed it.

y9tj8G5.png

What about doing it like ESO does it where you can have 1 primary campaign and you can join 1 guest campaign?

I think the main difference would need to be that you can't import OR export from your guest campaign. So basically you don't get anything from winning in your guest campaign but it would still allow you to play with someone who may not be in your primary campaign. I think this would balance out ACE's fears and reasons of locking accounts to 1 campaign by not allowing import/export AT ALL from a guest campaign. 

Just a thought. 

It's not really an issue for me personally because all of my friends and guild mates will be in the same campaign. 

EDIT: I think the biggest problem with having a guest campaign would be politics/siege defense. If one side is about to lose a major battle or is backed into a corner they could reach out to another large group who primarily plays in another campaign to just show up to a particular siege and help them turn the tide of the battle as a "guest" to that campaign. That would be really annoying for the attacking force who worked really hard to wear down their enemies. 

Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

I don't know much how the campaigns work in ESO but maybe it could be something interesting to try. As you mention though, if there are possibilities that guests arrive in mass and change the course of a campaign, it would possibly cause some troubles.

My suggestion to solve the issue would be:

1) inject $[15-25] worth of store credits in every accounts with a copy of the game that got purchased before the December design change

2) allow us to have more than one crow per account

3) make the digital copy of the game an in-game item that is tradable between players (like VIP tickets)

4) allow us to link extra copies of CF to our main account to obtain additional crows (one crow per game copy)

5) keep the lock on 1 crow = 1 campaign, 1 guild, 1 god, 1 name, etc.

Here's a quote from Kickstarter: "You can create and manage multiple characters and participate in multiple Campaigns at once -- each with unique powers, skills and resources!"

Edited by courant101

"[...] is it allowed to buy and use multiple accounts to bypass the 1-character (per campaign) limit on normal and VIP accounts?"
"We aren't fans. However, there's really not a whole lot we can do about it. The thing we can try is: ensure that there's so much to do with an active character that playing multiple would likely mean you aren't performing at 100% effectiveness on either."

"Probably not - we want to encourage players to play a single character within a campaign, so we’re putting design rules in place to encourage that. An upshot of this design is that the best “crafters” won’t generally be alternate characters, because it’s not a very effective strategy."

If they weren't fans of multi-account to bypass the limit of one character per campaign and wanted to encourage players to put one character per campaign, it's most likely because players were allowed to have 3 characters in 3 different campaigns, otherwise I fail to see where the other 2 (or 5 for players with extra slots) characters would be.

I like their first answer, but actually think it supports the idea of multiple campaigns open to one account.  Make it very challenging for those who want to balance a kingdom in each rule-set.  So, it's still a single character within a campaign (hasn't solved multiple accounts), but it's also a single character in up to 4 campaigns (partially solved multiple accounts).  Another possibility is to give each account an account level crow and then a rule-set based crow-ling.  The crow-lings never interact directly, but can be trained differently (so you could potentially play crafter on all rule-sets or take on different roles by rule-set).

In other words, lock the character and do the vessels and training as envisioned, but give the account the opportunity to be a part of more of the universe.

Edit: Of course, this seems to play to the mega-guilds.  So, we'll need a way around that...On the other hand, it also somewhat boosts the population of each world.

Edit 2: Also, link it to VIP in some way?  Better money flow than new accounts with no VIP.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

They did bring up the idea that one could unlock themselves from a campaign for a price, but didn't elaborate much further on that.

Personally I'm ok with the lock per ring suggestion that Corvax brought up on page 1, but I do understand the need/want to have a easy way to reorganized people at the start of the campaign cycle so everyone is in the same server.

Landmimes, the silent killer.

Fair point, which I neglected.

To be clear, I am just quibbling over whether you can conclude that offering multiple characters slots is the equivalent to offering the right to play multiple campaigns simultaneously.

I think it is a reasonable assumption, but that it is still just an assumption. They could have a system with multiple character slots but only one playable at a time due to a 1-campaign only rule.

Unless they actually promised that you would be able to play multiple campaigns at once it is not quite fair to say it would be dishonest to limit accounts to one campaign simply because they offered multiple character slots.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

They did bring up the idea that one could unlock themselves from a campaign for a price, but didn't elaborate much further on that.

Personally I'm ok with the lock per ring suggestion that Corvax brought up on page 1, but I do understand the need/want to have a easy way to reorganized people at the start of the campaign cycle so everyone is in the same server.

I'm beginning to envision this system to be first-order account level (at which payment occurs) and second-order account level (at which campaign rule-sets occur).  

At the first-order, your account transactions occur.  You pay for VIP and whatever aesthetic micro-transactions enter the game.  Perhaps you pay differentially depending on how many second-order account permissions you want.

At the second-order account level, your crow instantiates itself.  Depending on how you pay, perhaps you could have faster or slower crows, in the sense that your crow can travel between rule-sets (or maybe you are buying crow-lings).  For cash flow, you are able to upgrade/downgrade this over time, rather than making a buy once, play forever at the second-level.  Buy once, play forever is true for the first level of crow speed, where you can play forever on a single rule-set (perhaps you can change the rule-set between campaigns).  Whether these crow-lings can train separately would need to be debated (but I'd say yes, to free up more diversity/freshness).

This is like 1/8 baked right now, but it may help alleviate some of the pressures to buy a second account (which almost certainly guarantees more multi-boxing as a mostly unintended consequence) in favor of buying a second speed crow.  While having this system does not address directly the desire to have multiple characters in the same campaign (not sure you can/want to prevent multiple accounts), it incentivizes people to pay more, play with more people, interact the worlds more, and play different roles by rule-set.  

I'm totally open to this idea getting shredded, just trying things out.

Edited by mctan

Fair point, which I neglected.

To be clear, I am just quibbling over whether you can conclude that offering multiple characters slots is the equivalent to offering the right to play multiple campaigns simultaneously.

I think it is a reasonable assumption, but that it is still just an assumption. They could have a system with multiple character slots but only one playable at a time due to a 1-campaign only rule.

Unless they actually promised that you would be able to play multiple campaigns at once it is not quite fair to say it would be dishonest to limit accounts to one campaign simply because they offered multiple character slots.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned / implied it several times during interviews and here on the forums, but anyway it was written clearly on the Kickstarter page "You can create and manage multiple characters and participate in multiple Campaigns at once -- each with unique powers, skills and resources!".

I'm pretty sure they mentioned / implied it several times during interviews and here on the forums, but anyway it was written clearly on the Kickstarter page "You can create and manage multiple characters and participate in multiple Campaigns at once -- each with unique powers, skills and resources!".

You are right, they did. So yea, it would indeed be unfair to required people to buy multiple accounts to play multiple campaigns.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

I'm ok with 1 however, with the duration of some of the campaigns would it be wise to limit the player base to 1 per account at release? Players are going to want to experiment with all the different types to find their flavor, having to wait a week to a year to change might turn off a lot of people in the beginning.

You are right, they did. So yea, it would indeed be unfair to required people to buy multiple accounts to play multiple campaigns.

Well I wouldn't have an issue with them requiring more than one account to play in multiple campaigns simultaneously, as long as they acknowledge that their change devalued the original copy of the game we purchased and maybe give all game accounts a compensation like some store credits or an item, idk. However I approve their change (if it ends up being what they're doing, because the Q&A wasn't really clear imo) and I think it's beneficial to lock the Crow to only one campaign.

Edited by courant101

I dont see why they cant just let you access every campaign but all your stuff and vessels stay locked into the campaign..

Your spirit crow can travel between worlds... But the physical stuff cant. Export is based on what you put in embargo... So hoping between campaigns wouldnt give you an advantage.

The problem is people would just bail on campaigns they werent winning tho... So maybe you pick which campaign you can connect to via embargo.. So only one campaign is connected to your EK and lets you export stuff... But your spirit crow can still go visit other places

Yep, thats the answer. I win ;)

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

From the FAQ:

CAMPAIGN

Campaigns are not intended to be transitory. Our design goal is for players to pick a Campaign and stick with it until the end.

We have a number of ideas to enforce or encourage this, from hard rules (i.e. characters are locked to a Campaign) to soft rules (if you quit a Campaign early, you lose all rewards and pay a penalty.)

This is one that we’re still debating, though – and we’d love to hear your thoughts! On the good side, it’s also a decision that we can easily change, if we try something and we don’t like it.

CROWS & VESSELS

It does. Your crow is free to travel between worlds (any campaigns you are subscribed to or any eternal kingdom you have access to) but vessels that are brought into a campaign are both locked there for the duration of the campaign and subject to the import/export rules of that campaign.

Obviously this Q&A marks another change. We just don't know how much.

These seemingly confusing FAQ answers are from current FAQs.

Hopefully Pann can nail the devs down enough to align the FAQ with CF as currently planned.

We can understand changes later, but please give us your best facts in the FAQ, ACE!

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

it would certainly suck to be locked into a losing campaign for months, a situation where an alliance of guilds has locked down the resource nodes and wiped its enemies from the map, as we have seen before... playing from a guerrilla position can be fun but not very successful in terms of resource gain. The last thing we would want is a no win situation with no way out... talk about logging off until that CW ends.

Campaign hopping will be necessary, I would hope to have a campaign where I am working with my guild and friends, another where I go to explore and solo some resources perhaps, another where I am feeling out the competition and rule-set... other than locking some of my stuff in a campaign until it ends I would not like to have another penalty stacked on me for getting out of a bad situation... ever been spawn camped? Sometimes a breath of fresh air is needed and that should not be to go play something else, it should be available in CF in another CW and with no other penalty than having to have some more stuff locked upon import into the new CW.

Then lets look at the result of free CW hopping, everyone has stuff in every CW (nearly). People only hang out in worlds that they are winning and abandon those that are getting to hard to gain resources from. Basically we would all have alts in every world and jump to where the action is... this is what ArtCraft seems to want to avoid as well. There is certainly no easy answer.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Has ACE made any mention of *when* you can join campaigns?  Can you join any campaign you want, regardless of how far along it is?  Will there be any restrictions for joining campaigns in progress?  Can you only join during certain windows, perhaps based on season?  Is any of this even relevant to campaign locks?

If they've ever talked about any of this, I sure don't remember.

/snip

Should we assume that if a guild/group is winning in one CW rule-set they are winning in another?  If not, then it may be productive to allow accounts to be in multiple CWs.

I'm imagining my guild in one CW per rule-set.  We start winning (or losing) heavily in one of the four.  We refocus our attention to another of the four.  That CW is now fundamentally different, which has cascading repercussions, allowing us perhaps to go back to the first at a critical point and swing it.  I know this is total conjecture, but it seems to at least alleviate some of the problems with single CW lock.

Edited by mctan

I am actually assuming at this point they will not lock each crow to one campiagn, I think most likely we will have 3 campaigns per crow as intended for "characters" before the vessel reveal. There is just simply no way the player base will accept acoount lock to one CW, nor will the devs want full CW hopping... a lot depends on how many? and how long? regarding CWs. We, as players will need some corralling into fixed decisions, yet maintain the ability to find enjoyment when one of our CWs is just not going well (all strongholds, vessels, and equipment destrpyed, dead, looted and 2 weeks left before hunger). Three CWs should be plenty and the old addege of "third times a charm" should apply to all but the serious idiot who leaves herself with no place for success in three worlds.

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai