Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MMO.IT: The end is just a new beginning - Official discussion thread

Pann

Team ACE goes and strikes back the evil post WoW MMO-Era to find again the fun and awesomeness in MMO gaming, with which it fascinated our imaginations back in its first bigger commercial steps in the 90's.

Go go!

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Automated systems (like an auction house) are incredibly convenient, but they make all of the transactions anonymous, destroying the social connections that you need for a player-driven economy.  So we’re going to provide tools instead of automated vending machines and turn the economy back into a game system.

Even though we already know this, I still want to weep tears of joy every time I hear it.  I've been yelling this at my screen in every auction house for the last decade.  Thank you ACE!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

On 4/14/2016 at 3:10 PM, Nazdar said:

Even though we already know this, I still want to weep tears of joy every time I hear it.  I've been yelling this at my screen in every auction house for the last decade.  Thank you ACE!

I

Edited by Effeh

I hate to burst that bubble, but someone will just build a http://poe.trade/ for CF. It doen't need to hook into the game with an API to be useful enough. Regardless of a developed auction house, a few months after launch if I want to buy "iron sword", I'm going to go to a website and type in "iron sword" and have EK shops sorted by price, quality, etc, and there'll be a clever dude somewhere making some decent ad revenue off it.

This is still wayyy better than WoW where the auction house & addons are so automated that you just hold CTRL+mwheel up to do your entire economic activities for the day. In the CF system, people can still find their favourite shops and having to physically go there, maybe have a chat with the owner and a few other shoppers.

You're right, people will build indexes for Crowfall but, how often do you think people are going to use a 3rd party index to find an iron sword? The difference between Crowfall and POE is that POE is a loot hoarding game based on monster loot drop tables. The market for items is based on an in-game item currency that is tuned by the developers. In Crowfall, people will be building their own economy. A crafter that is specializing in something unique will not want to contribute his wares to an index because that will allow his competitors to undercut him. This is why in real life, people are hired to be secret shoppers.

Without a company provided API (which they will never provide for this purpose), it's nothing more than a website that displays items from players that belong to the website.

You're right, people will build indexes for Crowfall but, how often do you think people are going to use a 3rd party index to find an iron sword? The difference between Crowfall and POE is that POE is a loot hoarding game based on monster loot drop tables. The market for items is based on an in-game item currency that is tuned by the developers. In Crowfall, people will be building their own economy. A crafter that is specializing in something unique will not want to contribute his wares to an index because that will allow his competitors to undercut him. This is why in real life, people are hired to be secret shoppers.

Without a company provided API (which they will never provide for this purpose), it's nothing more than a website that displays items from players that belong to the website.

On top of this people arte not going to list lower tier items or secondary resources, they will list only higher end items "and more" plus an invite to their EK store and how to find it... I would not expect any prices either but only OBO or make offer... useless except for finding some specific thing and probably the best spot will be in these forums as always.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Also because campaign exports happen sporadically, prices should fluctuate naturally.  A campaign will end, supply will briefly spike, and then taper off until the next export cycle.

I also like the idea of fluctuating resource scarcity between different campaigns.  If the current campaign is rich with precious metals but short on rare wood, the meta-market will fluctuate with speculation.  Each time a new campaign is launched, there will be a race among merchants to discover which resources are scarce - both for the immediate application within the campaign itself, and for the ramifications on the eternal markets.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Also because campaign exports happen sporadically, prices should fluctuate naturally.  A campaign will end, supply will briefly spike, and then taper off until the next export cycle.

I also like the idea of fluctuating resource scarcity between different campaigns.  If the current campaign is rich with precious metals but short on rare wood, the meta-market will fluctuate with speculation.  Each time a new campaign is launched, there will be a race among merchants to discover which resources are scarce - both for the immediate application within the campaign itself, and for the ramifications on the eternal markets.

I'm not 100% sure that individual resource categories are fluctuated separately, but since the campaigns are procedurally generated that is a possibility that I haven't considered before. It'll make it tough for crafters that wish to specialize, but then again ArtCraft has stated repeatedly that absolutely nothing about the skills and archetypes are truly balanced nor fair to all playstyles at all times, so I wouldn't put it past them.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg