Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Throne War module overview - Official discussion thread

How many players will we see online at once?! Will there only be one campaign?!

I guess it will depend on how many groups they invite, for the normal SP/HD tests I think there were sometimes up to ~120 testers online at the same time. For a mini-campaign I expect to have more than that at certain peak time and probably less during slow hours. I'm under the impression that they'll put only one mini-campaign online at the beginning, but I'm not sure about that. It would make sense to me if they regrouped all the testers in one place though, so they can stress test all their tech as they let more players get in.

Edited by courant101
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't read yet I'm too excited!     edit: my favorite items from the list: The campaign will last multiple days (around half a week) and be “live” the entire time (except maintenance, as nec

A first look at the premise for the upcoming Throne War module.    FULL STORY

I foresee many sick days being consumed by Alpha testers during those 2 days.

How many players will we see online at once?! Will there only be one campaign?!

Yes, active player numbers are gonna be very low, so more than one compaign at a time wouldnt work, most propably.

And to fill a small campaign world, I guess you would need around about 50-70 active players online.

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

So if we think between 50-200 active players... How big do we think this is in relation to a real campaign at lanch?

We dont really know how big they will be and even the most recent q&a they said they still dont know... I just hope the campaigns are large with lots of peope to feel like a reall mmo. If its to small it would feel like an instanced lobby game. people keep saying that and i keep refuting it but if theyre small, maybe i will be wrong.

Lots of testing to see how big they can make em, lets hope all goes well

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

I cant imagine ACE getting valueable feedback from a small campaign world, which spreads over a few days, being played by only a few players at best, accumulating to only a very small amount of playtime, and not even being able to test or play this new kind of game mode like intended really.

I guess it wouldnt make sense at all, if not to let at least Alpha 1 backers participate from the beginning, but maybe even that would be too less of a player pool to really bring this testing session to use, in my opinion.

It may be something like invite pre-alpha 1 and 2 on day 1, start inviting alpha 1s in groups on day 2 into the already running campaign. By the end of the first campaign, they might already be inviting alpha 2s.

So if we think between 50-200 active players... How big do we think this is in relation to a real campaign at lanch?

AS they saiy in the FAQ, "In terms of number of players, it’s a seamless-world MMO server, so the goal is to support thousands of players."

I don't think the size of a pre-alpha test can be used to predict the size of real campaigns at launch. These tests start small, and they ramp them up over time.

IhhQKY6.gif

Yes, active player numbers are gonna be very low, so more than one compaign at a time wouldnt work, most propably.

And to fill a small campaign world, I guess you would need around about 50-70 active players online.

If the map is about 3 times the size of the playable area of Siege Perilous, then I think that at peak time there should be at least 100 players to make it really interesting. I have no doubt that we can reach this number since we already have that many testers coming for the normal SP/HD tests.

I wouldn't be surprised that they use the Siege Perilous map and increase the playable area. The SP map is huge.

giphy.gif

click for full video

Yes, a fourth Keep or Castle in the center of the map would pretty much remind of the Eternal Battlegrounds from Guildwars 2 WvW.

But damn, I really got so much enough from the generic, plain simplistic, boring GW 2 WvW. Its really not good, really not. Much too simplistic and plain dumb.

"Boring" in another game (Which is not a reason against using a central keep in this one.) or not, we need something to encourage at least some 3-way fighting; as well as a place to fight during the off-hours when 3 separate keeps is just too much land to cover. A central keep/castle in the middle a great solution to this problem.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

It may be something like invite pre-alpha 1 and 2 on day 1, start inviting alpha 1s in groups on day 2 into the already running campaign. By the end of the first campaign, they might already be inviting alpha 2s.

My point is that this kind of approach wouldnt make any sense, because it would have the total wrong kind of intentions.

The intention of this approach would be to let higher tier backers profit from their bigger contribution to Crowfall, i think that is legitimate.

But if you try to fill a gamemode, which requires a certain amount of active players to work, with under 10% of what would be necessary, neither the higher tier backers, nor ACE would profit, because the players wouldnt have fun because the game wouldnt work, because they arent enough active players, and in succession ACE wouldnt get almost any valueable testing data or information.

And for a game project, which probably still plans to release this year, there really isnt a single day of productive intended progression to be wasted I guess.

Edited by Urahara

"Boring" in another game (Which is not a reason against using a central keep in this one.) or not, we need something to encourage at least some 3-way fighting; as well as a place to fight during the off-hours when 3 separate keeps is just too much land to cover. A central keep/castle in the middle a great solution to this problem.

Yes, the last part with opinion residing in it was simple my personal opinion, or feelings (of frustration) with the GW 2 WvW, as I am playing this map really really much, and its always the same, and very simplistic game concept.

My point is that this kind of approach wouldnt make any sense, because it would have the total wrong kind of intentions.

The intention of this approach would be to let higher tier backers profit from their bigger contribution to Crowfall, i think that is legitimate.

But if you try to fill a gamemode, which requires a certain amount of active players to work, with under 10% of what would be necessary, neither the higher tier backers, nor ACE would profit, because the players wouldnt have fun because the game wouldnt work, because they arent enough active players, and in succession ACE wouldnt get almost any valueable testing data or information.

And for a game project, which probably still plans to release this year, there really isnt a single day of productive intended progression to be wasted I guess.

I think they do pre alpha folks just to make sure the server works with the new game mode and the basics of the mechanics actually work. But not like hungerdome testing for an extended time

MOkvLlm.png

we need something to encourage at least some 3-way fighting; as well as a place to fight during the off-hours when 3 separate keeps is just too much land to cover. A central keep/castle in the middle a great solution to this problem.

That's what the POI will be. Finding, defending, harvesting, and then transporting wood, iron, stone back to our Keeps. These will serve two functions 1) give our faction much need resources to build and repair our strongholds and if crafting is ready in time, our personal gear. 2) they are something that small groups or maybe a lucky solo guy can do by becoming intense hunting and battle grounds.

POI = Small groups.

Siege = Large Events.

Yes, the last part with opinion residing in it was simple my personal opinion, or feelings (of frustration) with the GW 2 WvW, as I am playing this map really really much, and its always the same, and very simplistic game concept.

But it works, and this is for testing. It solves many issues (most notably where to go when few people are online). Even if it were not for testing, it is a classic design with many advantages and few flaws. If this were the final release, MAYBEY this sort of design would be too cliche. But right now there is no reason not to use it.

That's what the POI will be. Finding, defending, harvesting, and then transporting wood, iron, stone back to our Keeps. These will serve two functions 1) give our faction much need resources to build and repair our strongholds and if crafting is ready in time, our personal gear. 2) they are something that small groups or maybe a lucky solo guy can do by becoming intense hunting and battle grounds.

POI = Small groups.

Siege = Large Events.

You seem to misunderstand the problem There will be many many POIs. This means that if there are only... say... 5 people on the server, they will rarely find each other and quickly get bored. Many areas dedicated to small fights won't solve this (because... well... there are too many of them!). A single structure/area of reasonable size will solve this. Especially if it is in the center as, subconsciously, people tend to move towards whatever shiny thing is in the center. If there are few people online, they will all agree(perhaps even without talking about it) that they will use that is a dedicated fighting ground until more people come online. This makes the off-hours enjoyable. especially to whatever timezone will be screwed out of prime-time seeing as there will only be one server.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

If the map is about 3 times the size of the playable area of Siege Perilous, then I think that at peak time there should be at least 100 players to make it really interesting. I have no doubt that we can reach this number since we already have that many testers coming for the normal SP/HD tests.

I wouldn't be surprised that they use the Siege Perilous map and increase the playable area. The SP map is huge.

giphy.gif

click for full video

Oh wow, all of that geometry is loaded when you play?

Well at least that's a straightforward optimization fix to get a bunch of frames back.

Edited by recatek

But it works, and this is for testing. It solves many issues (most notably where to go when few people are online). Even if it were not for testing, it is a classic design with many advantages and few flaws. If this were the final release, MAYBEY this sort of design would be too cliche. But right now there is no reason not to use it.

Yes i am totally fine with it for testing. I just was playing this map just today alone for hours already. Thats all what I wanted to say basically  :)

You seem to misunderstand the problem There will be many many POIs. This means that if there are only... say... 5 people on the server, they will rarely find each other and quickly get bored. Many areas dedicated to small fights won't solve this (because... well... there are too many of them!). A single structure/area of reasonable size will solve this. Especially if it is in the center as, subconsciously, people tend to move towards whatever shiny thing is in the center. If there are few people online, they will all agree(perhaps even without talking about it) that they will use that is a dedicated fighting ground until more people come online. This makes the off-hours enjoyable. especially to whatever timezone will be screwed out of prime-time seeing as there will only be one server.

I don't misunderstand the problem, it's just I don't see one. What your suggesting is for the devs to build a POI for testers (not players since there's no game yet) to have something to do. But your center Keep POI won't be in the game so what are we testing while fighting there?

Having only resource POIs allows us to test several things namely: are there too many or too few of them for the population that is testing a given size area?

Along with that other tweaks will be considered like, do we need to let more testers in to achieve a steady population base? what happens if people destroy all POIs so that no one can or repair anything? Classic griefing :)

Edited by Keaggan

i would really like testing this one out. sadly beta testers seem kinda pointless for more than stress testing servers.

Thats not true!

After the small campaign testing comes large campaign testing, and I am sure Beta 1 backers will get in by then, if not already earlier.

I don't misunderstand the problem, it's just I don't see one. What your suggesting is for the devs to build a POI for testers (not players since there's no game yet) to have something to do. But your center Keep POI won't be in the game so what are we testing while fighting there?

Having only resource POIs allows us to test several things namely: are there too many or too few of them for the population that is testing a given size area?

Along with that other tweaks will be considered like, do we need to let more testers in to achieve a steady population base? what happens if people destroy all POIs so that no one can or repair anything? Classic griefing :)

Now that testing is 24/7 we need to consider off-hours. Whether you call them "players" or "testers", they will want something to do. By designing the module to be fun both during prime time and off hours, you will increase the amount of "testers"/"players" and thus the amount of bugs you will find. The 4th keep(or something) in the center won't ruin the data of POI's to area or the amount of players necessary to ensure a steady population base. All you need to do is account for the addition and the numbers are back in line!