Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Class or Classless System?

xcomvic

Class System or no?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer to see, a class or classless(skill point based) system?

• Class (Traditional Holy Trinity)
    • Class (Non HolyTrinity)
    • Classless (Skill point based)
    • Something totally different (please post what that would be below!)

You have to

classless builds have so many ingredients, that they have lost their flavor.  They aren't melee, they aren't healers, they aren't truly dps, they are a little bit of everything.

I agree with that, which the poll (and other forums about other games) goes against.

A classless system is bad news.  It sounds great in concept, but can turn out horribly.

The first argument is what Komaf has stated.  Without specific classes, people are classless.  They fill no role.  Or they fill every role.  To me that creates a boring world.

The second argument is that it creates terrible, terrible balance.  Developers can balance strict (or semi-strict) classes, but they cannot balance an open class system.

The third argument is that an open class system leads to an unofficial class system anyway, as people create and then share their builds that statistically are better than other combinations, causing others who want to be competitive to then build their characters similarly, following the template to be best at X playstyle.

I believe that if its gonna be a classless system it should have skill points where you can upgrade certain stats after leveling or accomplishing specific quests. Stats such as base defense, damage, heal boost, speed, etc. Doing it like this would make your character unique regardless of what you decide to put up.

However if its a class based system it should be similar to wizard101, where each class has a specific spell, item, or whatever it may be that's unique to that class only. This would make each class good for their own reasons and will encourage team play more.

Whatever it is that they decide i just hope its creative and has a lot of depth to it. So players can enjoy it over long periods of time.

Relly D.

Some people seem to think that a classless system would end up causing people to become jack of all trades, and that this is by definition a bad thing.

And this isn't necessary true.

Take EVE Online for example.  Yes, it is technically possible to become proficient in everything, provided you had enough time.  You could become a master of everything.

However in practice it means next to nothing.  If your extremely proficient in piloting Battleships, it doesn't matter one lick when your Frigate, or any other kind of non-battleship. The only time your skills come into use is when your doing that specific activity.

Which is why I am for Move Sets being integrated into your weapons, and they dictate what you do.

So you could be proficient in a Lance or a Bow, doesn't matter when your using a Sword.  And so your never a caster unless your using caster weapons, your not a thief unless you use thief weapons, and your not a tank unless your using tank weapons.  (well, and armor)

The jack of all trades problem only really occurs when skills are divorced from equipment, like standard MMO leveling and talent trees.

As long as they stay away from that, it shouldn't be a problem.

I like the idea of a sort or sand box system. Maybe revolved around skill points no real set class. you want more health/health regen/ attack/block. you put your points to raise them progressively getting a slower power up out of them.

(example) health being able to raise to an almost uncapped amount getting a smaller rise out of the next skillpoint

sorry may cat decided he wanted to play on the keyboard not sure if this is posting twice.

I like the idea of a sort or sand box system. Maybe revolved around skill points no real set class. you want more health/health regen/ attack/block and so on. you put your points to raise them progressively getting a slower power up out of them.

(example) health being able to raise to an almost uncapped amount getting a smaller rise out of the next skill point

some say unfair but if you focus on your hp your attack/block/hp regen will suffer. someone with a attack based character can easily overcome the mass hp.

there will be a lvl of work required from the player to understand where his points will need to go and where to use them. ultimately no one will be able to focus on one trait they will need to round them self out. to fit there playing style.

this gives an almost endless way to create your own character and give you complete customization

granted i understand this will kill the leveling system but maybe getting away from a lvl cap would make it that more interesting. giving your character continual growth and a scene of accomplishment. I'm sure it causes a few more issues then I'm sure I'm seeing. but this game is supposed to be taking a bold new step so i figure i would toss it out there. comment, add, and suggest more

Why do we to ever see stats? Min/max can really get in the way of fun. Are you more interested in showing off stats or showing off the dragon head? The head shows what you did, not what you might be able to do. Prove yourself if you want respect.

Why do we to ever see stats? Min/max can really get in the way of fun. Are you more interested in showing off stats or showing off the dragon head? The head shows what you did, not what you might be able to do. Prove yourself if you want respect.

No one makes you min/max though. Cookie Cutter builds, Flavor of the month are just that. Until balancing happens. But that doesn't mean you can't venture off on your own and try something new, something different that works for your playstyle and dominate with it, even if others try it and can't!

Oh, I do just that. Then most times I cannot find a guild I like because they demand I play their way or use a trinity build. More often than not, I solo for that reason.

I voted for trinity and would prefer that.  But I'd really love to see SWG class system re-introduced.  I really liked that.  And for the Glory of God please bring us SWG style crafting and mining and improve while you're at it!  Oh and SWG decorations from anything found!

LOL edited to add -- and I loved Doctors giving buffs and Muscians and Dancers.... heck just start with SWG and go from there!

*looks at rock intently* You do know that SWGEmu exist, right?

:D

I concur. The only class system worth implementing is one similar to SWG.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

About stamina, we should have two classes of stamina, there's plain stamina and then there's fatigue. Mental and Physical health basically. You'll need both to be good at battling. If you do too many battles, you'll be mentally tired, even if you just got out of a massage booth. If you've ran a few miles and you're perfectly sane in the mind (although I doubt any sane person goes for a 50 mile run in the wilderness), your accuracy and strength will decrease quite a bit, respectfully. Although I don't know what would raise mental stamina, Sudoku maybe?... hehe

Mental stamina should be raised by meditation, some kind of mini-game that imitates debate and by visiting special places like shrines and/or nodes.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Kill whoever uses the word "balancing".

Might as well have one class, one weapon, one skill because variety should have pluses and minuses. Strengths and weaknesses.

Screw the trinity (like the real chur... well, you know). Time for gaming to evolve more and to the next level.

Skills and freedom to experiment. That's what I want.

for me no classes tks!

i mean, i want something close to real men here, something that dosent lable me since the beginning as a dps or healer and so on. let me develop the skills by playing, if i am in a party than i have to heal sometime, if i am alone i have to control crowd sometime or fast escape that mobs group or i'll die!

like in the amazon forest, stone culture tribus, a man is multipurpouse: hunter (U need to eat)  but also a healer (U get injured figthing!), a priest (gods require U attention from time to time).

U can specialized Urself more in one thing, and than decide to go in party and maximize Ur gain, and than go back in solo for a while and be able to survive!

yes my firend, i will kill you, and i enjoy it ^^

If there is going to be things that take more than 2 people to take down there is needs to be some sort of trinity style.  Otherwise we'll just end up with GW2 and that's zerg it down and move on.

Does this mean it can't be claseless? No, it just means we can all have a heal and a ton of damage skills and simply rotate out who takes damage.  There should be someone who has to be built to take hits and probably at least one person to keep that person alive too.

Edited by netsage

I like the concept of having classes that you can 'chose' to take.

For example, if your alignment (if it's in the game) is good enough, and you've completed a certain number of objectives, you can choose to become a Paladin - this unlocks unique abilities only available to that class, but also with drawbacks to balance it out - you can never murder or commit crime, or a portion of your gold goes to the church etc.

You're locked out of using offensive magic, and can only use certain weapons etc.

I think that a hybrid system might work well.

Instead of "classes", we might have "aptitudes" and "ineptitudes" that make certain skill categories easier or harder and perhaps opens up certain special higher-tier skills later on.  For instance, if there are 24 categories, we might have 12 apt points and 12 inept points we have to apply.  We could put more than one in a category (up to a limit) or spread them out.

This makes the characters more "human" and encourages players to focus their character's development, but leaves the player free to pursue whatever they want.

By categories, I'm meaning a varied group of skills that could define a general play style:

• Power Melee
  • Subtle Melee
  • Mounted Melee
  • Thrown Weapons
  • Ranged Weapons
  • Academic
  • Folk Wisdom
  • Blood Magic
  • Death Magic
  • Sun Magic
  • Spycraft
  • Physical Prowess
  • Holy Powers
  • Unholy Powers
  • Etc., etc.

Edited by dunkelza

My preference would be classless, but we would still need to be able to perform viable Trinity roles if PvE is to be of import in the game (i.e. dungeon / raids require Trinity to allow for decent design generally). However I would like to see additional layers on top of the idea of classes.

Such as: We play spirits that can possess NPCs. Once we posses an NPC we can control its body and use any of its abilities - and can augment the NPC using our power... more naturally powerful forms cost more power to possess (leaving less for enhancement). All of our skills come from us however and we can use them in the different forms we have access to. There are no classes, but there are elemental affinities (part of our skill set) that combine in different ways with different forms.

However the trick here would be balance (isn't it always) - so we do not end up with a FOTM unkillable, best-dps TankMage