Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowDurza

Custom crafting with statistics.

In most MMO's crafting systems that allow you to customize your weapon do offer different styles and shapes, but that is just mostly for appearances sake. In real life, weapons with different shapes were meant for specialized forms of combat, and could deliver different kinds of wounds.

I had an idea a while ago that damage in an RPG could have a scale to it, and the scale would be effected by how the weapon was made and what it was made of. The maximum damage would be determined by the weapon's sharpness, the minimum damage being determined by the weapon's weight, and the weapon's hardness would affect puncturing damage, which would be a base number added on to the damage done. 

A few examples would be a broadsword made out of Iron having a very high minimum damage against heavily armored enemies, a rapier made out of sterling and used with thrusting attacks dealing hits with solid base amounts, and a cutlass made out of steel would dish out attacks with high damage, but would be susceptible to armor.

The handles could also have an effect on how the weapon performs. A sword with a curved handle would add on a bonus damage percentage to slashing attacks, a sword with a katana handle reducing the cooldown between weapon attacks, and a hand and a half sword handle enabling the sword to use both one-handed and two-handed sword skills.

I have a lot of other ideas too, like a hook weapon being able to deal base damage with slashing skills, a war hammer with a spike on top being able to be used with thrusting skills, a polearm with a more elastic handle reducing the base damage of an attack when used in a blocking skill, and a pegged mace that does high minimum damage combined with multiple hits of base damage.

Do you have any ideas that could be added on to this? Leave a comment!

and the system would require an insane amount of effort to build.

So? Wouldn't you want an mmo where the developers put their maximum effort into making it? A lot of good games have been ruined because they were too underdeveloped and poorly built. I am willing to wait a lot longer then they promised if I knew that they were willing to work out every single detail of the game right to the last bit rather than bear the shame of releasing a game they knew they could have done a better job on (As long as I received updates on the progress, that's what I believe just a small possibility of the many MANY possible reasons why EQN died. :'-(

Edited by ShadowDurza

Everyone wants a super realistic crafting, but Crowfall has a very limited budget and time, and the system would require an insane amount of effort to build.

Is the budget really that limited?  $7m in funding isn't exactly Monopoly money.

Is the budget really that limited?  $7m in funding isn't exactly Monopoly money.

In the world of MMOs it is.... probably they already used more than half.

SWTOR costed $200m, by comparison.

So? Wouldn't you want an mmo where the developers put their maximum effort into making it? A lot of good games have been ruined because they were too underdeveloped and poorly built. I am willing to wait a lot longer then they promised if I knew that they were willing to work out every single detail of the game right to the last bit rather than bear the shame of releasing a game they knew they could have done a better job on (As long as I received updates on the progress, that's what I believe just a small possibility of the many MANY possible reasons why EQN died. :'-(

Indeed, but here the focus is on PvP.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

That's a really bad example.  Half of that was for voice acting :P

I doubt they spent 100$m in voice acting, but even if they did spend 130$m in voice acting, animations, or whatever fluffly other thing one can imagine, their budget would still be an order of magnitude bigger than Crowfall's.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I doubt they spent 100$m in voice acting, but even if they spent 130$m in voice acting, animations, or whatever fluffly other thing one can imagine, their budget would still be an order of magnitude bigger than Crowfall's.

Having played the game I'm pretty sure $100mil+ is a pretty accurate guess on how much was spent on the voice acting and story content at the expense of the rest of that game which felt low quality and tacked on.

But yeah point is a crafting system that deep isn't really feasible or even necessary with this game and its budget. With the way ACE seems to be making their system it doesn't need to be that deep to be still meaningful and high quality. It'll be a player run economy so at its heart will be the crafting system.

Yes, but priorities. Ultra-realistic crafting is not important for the core game, so instead of placing resources into an area which will wield little gain for the game as a whole, they can distribute efforts more efficiently and get more for their workload instead.