Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Norskye

A Traitors Bounty?

Bounty Hunting the Traitors

After spending many hours/weeks in CrowFall we’re building Teams/Guilds to progress against other players

in the campaign. A month into all our hard work two guild mates up and leave with their resources the

guild as a whole have helped them achieve through group effort.

Should there be a bounty system set for these individuals who have decided to strike out on their own

or worse still maneuver their way into the graces of a rival guild or faction?

Could or should CrowFall have a temporary bounty system for traitors in our midst?

Here are a few ideas.

1. Consequence would add a factor to player choices.
  2. More Incentive for Kingdoms to War with one another.
  3. Incentive for players to seek out the betrayer by rewarding the hunters.
  4. There should also be rewards for those players who can survive or kill off their hunters.
  5. The bounties could be bought out by the target to remove the bounty at a hefty price.
  6. Only players who have actively taken on the bounty and the guild members that the target has betray are the only players who can see special marker indicating a player as a bounty.
  7. The bounties could be carried over into every zone .
  8. There should be a time limit bounties last like a few weeks at most.
  9. Once a bounty is collected on, the target can no longer be collected on by other players and all indicators removed.

Those are just some ideas. I like the idea of someone weighing their choices and their being consequence

to their actions. This seems to be a game which will rely heavily on direct player interaction. Adding this sort of

thing to the chaos which is human interaction over the internet seems natural and pleasing to me.

What are your thoughts?

:mellow: I care not for willful Ignorance in any form! :mellow: 

Well, notwithstanding that we don't yet know how storage will work, first of all go and read about how the heists in Eve Online have happened.  You should only have trusted members holding withdraw rights on your storage.  That will help to alleviate some of the issues.  Next, only permit people to have access to one storage, that then means they can't remove everything.

If it still happens, what is a bounty system going to do?  Eve Online has the same, and some people have astronomical bounties but they are rarely, if ever, collected.  Yes, it makes for an interesting facet of gameplay but it doesn't really happen.

Prevention, in this case, is far better than cure.

A bounty hunter discipline would be interesting, that gave the power to extract a trophy from the victim (like a head, or ear) that you could present to the rich merchant who hired you to kill the ore-stealing scum that hijacked his caravan  :lol: . All player-driven, no system.

tiPrpwh.png

Well what I meant by system is bounties being player driven with game mechanics built in to support it.

:mellow: I care not for willful Ignorance in any form! :mellow: 

Well what I meant by system is bounties being player driven with game mechanics built in to support it.

Exploitable.

If the players want a Bounty System, then the players organize it themselves.  No game-mechanic rewards involved.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

It is exploitable but, you could say have an NPC you load the Bounty onto which would cost you in game currency at which point that player is flagged and the first person to kill said player has a bounty token drop off the player they can then use to returns to the NPC and collects 80% of the payout while the NPC (game) retains the extra 20%. To make it less exploitable make bounties expensive. 

This would help prevent trading exploits (your losing 20%), the price tag on a bounty would be high enough that you better be damn sure you want that person dead, and lastly only the first person to kill the bounty would receive the bounty token to ensure they received the credit. 

Player run Bounty's typically never work, you need proof of the kill, you may kill them first but without proof it could go to anyone else that kills them, screen shots are a hassle and would require time stamps to be effective, and lastly, there is no guarantee you will be paid. 

I think it could work.

Learn to implement proper security rules and learn to apply them to everybody no matter how much you "think" you trust that person. Separate roles, give access based on those roles. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket. We put these things in practice every day where I work and they will work for you in a game such as this. Trust is earned and people need to be properly vetted before they can be trusted with important resources.

What do you think a bounty is going to do? Once I have your stuff in my private inventory (or in the vault in the CW), you'll never get it back. If I steal during a campaign it will end soon (because who'd bother burgling your storage before it was full?) then good luck finding me again. I'm untouchable in my Eternal Kingdom. Bodies and gear are not permanent, so even if I'm killed by some random player, why would I care?

I don't think the intention is an expectation of getting the stuff returned, after all it is the responsibility of the Guild to make sure the permissions are set to prevent major losses. I think it's more of an add on to game play, the game doesn't need it but I can see the fun behind it.

It is exploitable but, you could say have an NPC you load the Bounty onto which would cost you in game currency at which point that player is flagged and the first person to kill said player has a bounty token drop off the player they can then use to returns to the NPC and collects 80% of the payout while the NPC (game) retains the extra 20%. To make it less exploitable make bounties expensive. 

This would help prevent trading exploits (your losing 20%), the price tag on a bounty would be high enough that you better be damn sure you want that person dead, and lastly only the first person to kill the bounty would receive the bounty token to ensure they received the credit. 

Player run Bounty's typically never work, you need proof of the kill, you may kill them first but without proof it could go to anyone else that kills them, screen shots are a hassle and would require time stamps to be effective, and lastly, there is no guarantee you will be paid. 

I think it could work.

"Player run Bounty's typically never work" . . . there's a reason why. Ironically, it's those same reasons the solidify that player run is the only place for them to appear, and be managed . . . or let die. Based on the communities ability to realize the dynamic reasonably or not.

I don't see any form of mechanics enabled "Bounty System" as viable (IMO).

When I said exploitable, I meant that in the fullest sense:

Player A and Player B are coordinated scammers. Player C is their most recent Mark.

Player A does whatever it takes to piss off Player C and/or Player C's guild, gets "Bountied", and is killed by Player B. They split the Gold. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Also, with a MECHANIC involved, depending on exactly how that is implemented / triggered . . . it can become a griefing mechanism. The example here comes out of Archeage where players are falsely reported as bots, get a debuff, etc. It became a game played by many, spam-reporting targeted individuals for no reason to trigger the debuff.

Player A doesn't like Player B, or is simply a griefer in general. Targetting either people they have a grudge with, or randomly for giggles . . . establish Bounties on people.

This particular scenario would hinge on what mechanics are in place (or not)that allow someone to have a Bounty placed on them.

Regardless, this is a slippery issue if you actually DIG through all the possible permutations on the "game the system intentionally" side of the mind set, and try to code in "protections" from abuse and/or abuse of mechanics associated with the feature.

This is why I feel any form of "Bounty" system is precisely the type of sand-box dynamic the Player Base should step up to manage and regulate.

It's the perfect place for Player Driven Content. It will either evolve, or die, naturally, as a result of working in the gene-pool of the player base, based on whether it works or is exploited enough people just let it die.

Edited by Bramble

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin