Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xotix

Servers Are Just Instances Areas - Anti Open World

Hi,

I don't really get that concept of several maps on several Server. I mean, this is just like if you have one big world and instance it. Like warhammer online did. And that just sucked soo hard, you don't get that open world feeling.

I'm fine, if you can't move from server A to server B. If you can move, then it's just an instanced world, and that sucks. I like to have a server community, I like to read my langauge in the chat, I like the idea of having different maps so there won't be a giant wiki, if no one on your server creates it.

I really don't get why people would like several worlds on several server, if you can hop around... If you look at the picture, that's exactly what it is going to be.

So, what's the point of this? For me, it's just good marketing for a rather poor server cluster architecture (or soemthing). 

An instance is a private area, exclusivity to you or your group. Since these areas would be open to all and could be traveled to, it seems to me like it's more of a technical decision than anything else. I'm not sure if there's a gameplay goal in making different worlds, but as long as you can freely travel between them, all it means is that there's a load screen here and there. It's not that big a deal. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Different worlds increase the amount of exploration, they can also differ in resources and allow us to visit / assault other servers, each server will have its own hierarchy (as we've seen in the fealty system) so there is a chance that this will be a Realm vs. Realm game that is FFA PvP. 

Edited by nehemia

The best would be one huge mega map, if the servers are connected anyway. I mean, it like war, where each area had a loading screen. That just sucks and it really takes away the feeling of the world, it destroys it. For me, it's important. But having several maps without any connection between them is just.... not that nice. If the world sucks but the mechanics are good, the game just sucks for me, I just needs to have the right atmosphere with the right mechanics. :)

Edited by xotix

I can accept these big worlds as long the combat is pure action (it mean less lag) otherwise well, is pretty bad.

However is too early to judge, not so much information released.

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

The best would be one huge mega map, if the servers are connected anyway. I mean, it like war, where each area had a loading screen. That just sucks and it really takes away the feeling of the world, it destroys it. For me, it's important. But having several maps without any connection between them is just.... not that nice. If the world sucks but the mechanics are good, the game just sucks for me, I just needs to have the right atmosphere with the right mechanics. :)

Yea that's like an utopia. Loading screens are a necessity when you're going from a server to another like NA-EU.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

If what I understand is correct, each world will be hosted on its own server. In an ideal scenario, all of the worlds would be on one server, but the technology isn't there yet.

This doesn't mean that the worlds are instanced in the traditional sense, sure there may be a loading screen between worlds but we can still see everyone/interact with them.

EVE has a similar system, instead of worlds EVE has solar systems. Generally the most busy systems have to be on their own server due to the amount of calculations being processed, this means when you jump from one system to a neighbouring system you are swapping servers (in most cases). Now this used to incur a loading screen for obvious reasons, but the architecture EVE was built on is 10 years old now. Even they have managed to remove the loading screen or mask it I should say to keep the universe feeling connected.

In terms of art assets, in EVE all you really had to load was the immediate surroundings, other players, occasional jump gate/station. Crowfall on the other hand is going to have to load in a LOT more when you jump between worlds, so I'd still expect loading screens. But it will still be one universe, regardless.

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

I have absolutely no problem with loading screens between servers (worlds). As long as one world is quite huge and without loading im fine with it.

For a game like this, the way they are doing it is by far the best option. The other option is to have a extremely massive world on a single server, but I  don't think the tech is to the point where we can get the world large enough to do that.

I look at this game more like real world in a sense. As each  server is a continent. I imagine the mpa on each server is going to be quite large! I like the way they are going with it. Works great for a fuedal based game. 

I am most interested in if they are going to have 1 king per server or many on a server ..

Edited by sarin

I am most interested in if they are going to have 1 king per server or many on a server ..

Most likely there will be one king for each world/realm I'd have thought, looking from that fealty chart at least.

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

By breaking each world into a distinct server, lag caused by a massive siege on one world won't affect regular pvp on another. I think it's a solid concept.

/This

It can also help to push off the dreaded server consolidation ever MMO gets. If you don't like your server anymore, move to a different one without waiting for the next server migration. It also creates more potential enemies, which is a good thing.

If they deliver on the promise, that won't necessarily be the case. According to the info so far, each server will be geographically unique. There could be certain incentives offered within various servers to keep there from being a single server everyone wants to be. Unless we arrived at the situation where there just were not enough active players to justify multiple servers, then there are plenty of reasons for people to stick on various servers.

They are limited by resources and the technology they've licensed. Map size and streaming technology is all apart of how big a world can be. So to get around those technical limitations, developers create multiple servers. When a server is referred to in MMOs, it doesn't generally mean hardware server. It's a relatively arbitrary term as a 'server' could be made up of a single hardware server or multiple.

I think Im just worried it is implemented badly like in WAR. The world should be huge. It's quite sure you can hop, just look at the graphic they released. I know all the technical stuff quite good, but if it is implemented like in WAR, it just kills the feeling of an open world. Probably I'm just scared the worlds get quite small, maybe even autogenerated and you just use it as kind of an map you choose. BUt yeah, we need to know more to really judge the system.

planets are just instances, anti open universe.

I'm as anti instance as anybody but there are technological limits crowfall will have to manage, thus requiring multiple servers to allow for healthy population groups and a smoother gaming experience. 99.9% of people are not put off by the idea of servers, while many of us prefer one mega server to multiple servers, that was before the intriguing concept of geographically distinct worlds which we can travel between was even mentioned.

IMHO this is an exciting new option which hadn't even occurred to me as something they could realistically implement and adds something more that the previous dichotomy of multiple servers VS mega server can't.

While travel between worlds can be cause for concern, this is mostly likely to allow for players to seek out a population balance, for guilds to seek out fresh territory should World 1 become over crowded and World 6 be relatively sparse. Yes, there are consequences to inter-world travel, but not nearly as bad as years down the road people complaining about "dead servers" or should player place-able housing / city building be a thing, suffocating lack of real estate as seen in the more popular servers of Ultima Online, which would be compounded given the importance of resource nodes the devs seem to be indicate will be in CF.

Edited by flex

b7xcsz.jpg