Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xotix

Servers Are Just Instances Areas - Anti Open World

Ah, I didn't realize it was in fact a necro.. what's up with that btw, people are necroing threads fairly rampantly?

yeah, it's an issue. Has the new batch of mods started yet?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I'm confused about how instanced is being compared to open world rather than persistent worlds. I thought open world refereed to non linear gameplay as well, not real estate quantity or zones...

Clarify?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm confused about how instanced is being compared to open world rather than persistent worlds. I thought open world refereed to non linear gameplay as well, not real estate quantity or zones...

Clarify?

I'll use WoW as an example.  The servers "Whisperwind" and "Blackhand" are completely separate servers and even have different rule sets (PvE vs PvP).  These are the equivalent to a crowfall server.  They are a huge open area that you can travel around freely.    

Crowfall is slightly different in that each servers terrain will be different instead of just a copy/paste of eachother as well as that each server will have a win condition and be shut down after a pre-determined amount of time.

And they get destroyed at the end of the campaign so each world is different each time.

As they develop the lore, the.MO s and the it's they can easily integrate the new bits into the back end arcitecture and the world's 'evolve' as the game ages. The campaign world's we first see won't be the ones we see at the end.

It's also a great horizontal platform to scale up or down as needed which is great 8f you've ever gone through a server merge or consolidation.

kaGO5WE.png

First off, people won't just be switching Campaign Worlds willy-nilly. When you pick a campaign, you're pretty much in there for the long hall. You don't get any resources until the campaign is over, and the amount you get after maybe a day in a world probably won't be worth it. You have to spend time building up a presence in a world's economic and political systems to make your efforts worth while. This means that player recognition and establishment will be a thing even with the ability to switch campaigns, simply because it won't be profitable to.

Secondly, Campaign Worlds are the size of MMO continents and completely seamless. They are literally an open world. You can go everywhere on the Campaign World without loading screens, including caves that you yourself can dig. The open world feel will certainly be present.

Finally, this is a game set in a fantasy era universe. You can't get in a spaceship and fly from one world to the next, you have to use portals. It makes sense to put Campaign Worlds and EKs on different servers because there is going to have to be a loading screen between them anyway. Asking for a seamless connection between Campaign Worlds makes no sense.

(Sorry for continuing the necro, I just don't want any new players that see this getting turned off by an idea that doesn't really make any sense.)

Edited by Infynis

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

Campaigns because if their size are basically the same as servers in other game... they also reset, with new terrain, points of interest and objectives.

Definitely not some "instance" seen in other games

MOkvLlm.png

I was under the impression that you wouldn't be able to leave the campaign worlds until the Hunger eats them or at certain defined exit Points. Has this changed?

Nope, it's been suggested though if they did allow people to switch campaigns it would have to incur heavy penalties.

Players will be able to travel between the campaign and their EK (and presumably other peoples' EKs), but they won't be able to take anything into or out of the campaign. However yes, leaving a campaign to join a different campaign would likely incur some sort of penalty.

All of this is player based speculations. These "facts that have been implied" hasn't come from Ace. They have only mentioned that they would like players to stick to the campaigns they join. How this will be handled we don't know because they don't know. 

Now about instanced vs open world. I don't know how the tech part will handle it but it may be better to think of it as a "seamless" world. Even back in the day UO & SWG was an open world without boarders but there were several "servers" running and controlling it. Some might remember the server lines in where some animals and monster would get trapped lol. 

However it is handled a single CW will be shared by all those on it. If someone destroys a castle it will be destroyed for everyone in the CW even if they join 3 weeks after it started. 

Edited by Keaggan

yeah, it's an issue. Has the new batch of mods started yet?

They have indeed started.

This thread was necro'ed from days past.  However, given the fruitful discussion of the last page and a half I see no reason to lock or dismiss any of the conversation because a user made a mistake.

You'll be dedicating a lot of time to these campaigns because as far as we know you can't switch campaigns or join multiple ones.

In the August Q & A, while discussing the database system for a question about espionage, J Todd calls the relationship between characters and campaigns a "Many to Many," meaning that you will be to have 1 character in multiple campaigns. I'm pretty sure they said it somewhere else in more concrete terms, but it already took me 30 minutes on their YouTube to find this.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

In the August Q & A, while discussing the database system for a question about espionage, J Todd calls the relationship between characters and campaigns a "Many to Many," meaning that you will be to have 1 character in multiple campaigns. I'm pretty sure they said it somewhere else in more concrete terms, but it already took me 30 minutes on their YouTube to find this.

That's not what was being pointed out. JTodd was speaking about how having characters from one account being in multiple guilds was over overcomplex as you already have accounts with multiple characters, each with different inventories, possibly in different kingdoms, in different campaigns. Having players pick one campaign and stick with that campaign is part of the design of Crowfall.

That's not what was being pointed out. JTodd was speaking about how having characters from one account being in multiple guilds was over overcomplex as you already have accounts with multiple characters, each with different inventories, possibly in different kingdoms, in different campaigns. The devs design goal is for players to pick a Campaign and stick with it until the end.

These aren't really instances though...Sure you can leave a campaign for a certain time and hop onto an EK, but that's no different than going to a house in a WoW clone. The campaigns are all different "servers" each with its own unique map, rules and players. It's similar to if you play an MMO with realms (which is most) only each of those realms would be a different map. As for open world, it's open world. The maps are randomly generated and massive, so if Minecraft isn't "open world" enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

That's not what was being pointed out. JTodd was speaking about how having characters from one account being in multiple guilds was over overcomplex as you already have accounts with multiple characters, each with different inventories, possibly in different kingdoms, in different campaigns. The devs design goal is for players to pick a Campaign and stick with it until the end.

I understand what he brought it up in context to, but "Many to many" Implies crossovers. If characters were bound to a single campaign, it wouldn't be an example that could really fit here as the character could be interwoven with the campaign it was bound to, not adding to the overall jumble that was being discussed.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

We've been clearly and specifically told that a character can be joined to only one campaign at a time and that while thus joined he can only be logged in to that campaign or to an EK (astral projection, no inventory transfer). We've also been clearly told that quitting a campaign before it ends naturally will either be impossible or strongly penalized. This isn't player speculation it's unambiguous dev statements.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

All of this is player based speculations. These "facts that have been implied" hasn't come from Ace. They have only mentioned that they would like players to stick to the campaigns they join. How this will be handled we don't know because they don't know. 

The devs said in one of the videos that players would be able to go back and forth to their EK during the campaign, but wouldn't be able to bring anything in or out. I think it was Todd that said it, but I don't remember which video. Probably one of the Q&As.

We've been clearly and specifically told that a character can be joined to only one campaign at a time and that while thus joined he can only be logged in to that campaign or to an EK (astral projection, no inventory transfer). We've also been clearly told that quitting a campaign before it ends naturally will either be impossible or strongly penalized. This isn't player speculation it's unambiguous dev statements.

You have a link for that? If I missed this clearly explained, maybe there was other stuff from the same link I missed too.

The devs said in one of the videos that players would be able to go back and forth to their EK during the campaign, but wouldn't be able to bring anything in or out. I think it was Todd that said it, but I don't remember which video. Probably one of the Q&As.

Yeah I wasn't talking about bring anything out of a CW prior to it ending but rather being account bound to a specific CW until it was over. BTW Being account bound and character bound to a CW are two different things. 

Yeah I wasn't talking about bring anything out of a CW prior to it ending but rather being account bound to a specific CW until it was over. BTW Being account bound and character bound to a CW are two different things. 

At no point did I say anything about being account bound to a specific CW until it was over. This is what I said:

"However yes, leaving a campaign to join a different campaign would likely incur some sort of penalty."

Yes, that is speculation because the devs have talked about possibly having a penalty for leaving a CW early. Even they don't know yet.