Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Experiments with armor - Official discussion thread

Pann

Interesting read. Looking at the armor resistances chart, I can easily see what Plate and Leather are designed for, but where does Chain shine? I feel like you were aiming for a middle ground between the two but it doesn't appear to really do anything better than the others that would make a full set worth it.

Edit: I also wonder if Leather is too powerful along with Chain being too weak. Leather has the best damage and the best non-physical damage reduction (all magics, nature, poison, etc.) so their only downfall is weak physical damage mitigation. Shouldn't they have some weaknesses against other damage types if they're going to be the only ones doing full damage?

Edited by Leiloni

Agree re scale. I'd tie stam regen to scale, mana to leather, and hp regen to plate.

Edit: Love this:

Health and Mitigation Changes

Armor mitigation bonuses and penalties have been replaced by adjustments to player hit points.

These new base totals are:

Ranger - 50000

Knight - 62500

Champion - 41750

Confessor - 41750

Legionnaire - 45500

This will indeed prevent scaling issues. I think that's what is going on with many of these apparently nerfs and buffs.

The basic idea is that you would collect a particular set of armor pieces (gauntlet A + breastplate B + boot C + helmet D) and then you can enchant that set with a particular interesting spell effect that only triggers when the entire set is worn by a particular character (i.e. the effect might only work for characters of a particular archetype, discipline or with certain skill prerequisites).

Love this enchantment idea as well. A lot. Edited by coolwaters

I very much like the fact that you're experimenting with effects, values, and set / enchantment bonuses.  It'd be nice to see Monarch's plate helm of the Dragon as an item, for example, and have a 4pc set bonus for of the Dragon change the damage type to fire.   The system looks to have lots of potential!

This made me happy about the enchantments:

"Note that these set bonuses are all “nice to haves” -- noticeable, but not overwhelming from a balance perspective. Right now they are also ties to very simply collections (“just get all leather pieces”) but in the future could also allow for more varied combinations (“mail torso + leather boots and gloves + viper mask = Serpentine enchantment that increases stamina regeneration and poison resistance)."

Also, still not sure what the point of wearing chain will be when we get more damage types in.  It seems overall the weakest form of protection of all the armours, reduces damage and run speed.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

Agreed @destrin... Having options and reasons to mix and match would be great so every one doesnt feel the same.

Lots of great changes coming into the game, very excited

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

Also, still not sure what the point of wearing chain will be when we get more damage types in.  It seems overall the weakest form of protection of all the armours, reduces damage and run speed.

Perhaps people that can't afford Plate will use Chain?

IhhQKY6.gif

If they want physical damage mitigation yea then maybe Chain is the poor man's Plate. But if they're worried about a lot of magic, nature, poison damage (which sounds like it will be a lot of archetypes) then they're better off going with Leather. That's what confuses me.

I agree that Chain sounds like it should be a good middle ground - less damage than Leather and less overall mitigation than Plate, and maybe cheaper to make then both to account for the fact that it's just "ok" at everything. But the current stats look a bit off.

• When a player is hit, a location for the hit is randomly rolled (sometimes skewed in the power, i.e. ground fields always hit the boot slot) and the resistances are used that match the piece of armor in that slot.
  • Bigger slots (torso) are more likely to be rolled to be hit than smaller slots (head).

So is this just pure RNG based or is there some stat tied to this as well? Like if we have more accuracy we have better chance to hit a certain slot or one that is weaker to our specific type of attack?

When a player is hit, a location for the hit is randomly rolled (sometimes skewed in the power, i.e. ground fields always hit the boot slot) and the resistances are used that match the piece of armor in that slot.

Doesn't make sense.... just let all powers deal damage to specific parts of the body, who wants the RNG?

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

I was going to make a joke about plebs with amber packages, but decided against it :D

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

• Full mail - Applies Daze effect to targets on each swing.

wha ? was this in last night ?

Yeah, thats nuts.  maybe there is a reason to wear chain after all.  Was not in the patch notes yesterday.

YouTube Channel

Doesn't make sense.... just let all powers deal damage to specific parts of the body, who wants the RNG?

I don't even like that idea. Just make all skills deal damage to the entire body and let me spec for specific resistances if I want, but make those also apply equally to all parts of the body. I just feel like it's getting too complicated when you start adding up body parts and RNG, for no real gameplay benefit.

Yeah, thats nuts.  maybe there is a reason to wear chain after all.  Was not in the patch notes yesterday.

Those were just sample enchantments. It's not like every chain set will have that. All armor types will have different enchants on them.

To Repeat: This is just an experiment! None of these enchantments, nor the way they are being applied, will be in the final game!

Here are some of the sample ones you may see in both HD and SP this week. To activate them just wear a full set of an armor style. (We will put up a buff icon to show you the effect is active.)

Those were just sample enchantments. It's not like every chain set will have that. All armor types will have different enchants on them.

I didn't read it too carefully I guess. Cheers.

YouTube Channel

I don't even like that idea. Just make all skills deal damage to the entire body and let me spec for specific resistances if I want, but make those also apply equally to all parts of the body. I just feel like it's getting too complicated when you start adding up body parts and RNG, for no real gameplay benefit.

Dev can answer better obv but pretty sure the benefit is making armor choice even more important and impactful. Like do you wear full leather just to be safe or risk wearing a Plate helmet at the risk of getting hit there with a fireball for more damage then if it was leather.

Risk/Reward, impactful choices and all that.

But yeah it shouldn't be 100% RNG that says which armor slot gets hit.

I love the idea of different armors with different resistances/abilities. But I really dislike body-part specific hits. This adds very little to the game unless you can target the body-part yourself, and I know both that servers won't be able to handle that, and that it wouldn't it be very fun considering how large the projectiles/cones are and how small the body-parts are right now. All this system would do is clog up the servers with needless calculations and add very little to game play.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

I would maybe change it to something like this:

• Plate: +15% to all damage mitigations, - 10% speed, -20% damage, +5% hp generation
  • Mail: +20% to all physical damage mitigations, -5% speed, -10% damage, -5% retaliate cooldown
  • Leather: +20% to all magic damage mitigations, +5% stamina generation, -5% Sprint cost, -10% CC immunity effectiveness

Dunno, just trying to spread the +'s and -'s around.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.