Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arkade

Game of Thrones

We're now about 74 hours away from the season premiere. I have very mixed feelings about it as I've been reading the books since the early 90s, and it's a major disappointment to me that The Winds of Winter hasn't been released yet.

Knowing GRRM, it will be a while yet, and probably another 5 years after that for book 7, so there's probably no point in me waiting for him to finish.

What about you guys? How many of you have been reading the books for a long time, long before the show ever started? What are you going to do Sunday night?

I started the first book in 2006 or thereabouts. Have always been a big fan. Loved the first 4 seasons of the show, was _very_ disappointed with the 5th one - some moments were cringe worthy for me, like the whole Dorne sequence. 

If I knew GRRM could write at a half-decent pace, I would not watch the last two seasons. Instead I'd wait for the books to come out and read them first. Because I know they'll most likely be much superior to the show now that it's gone into uncharted territory and the HBO writers are pretty much on their own. BUT ... GRRM cannot write at a half-decent pace. Chances are the last book will only be out 8 years from now or something ridiculous like that. So I'll just watch the 6th season *shrug*

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it turns out the show will come up with good writing this season. 

Hope you guys are ready for the Brandon Sanderson treatment.

You know I was thinking about that, but thought it too morbid to bring up lol. I think Sanderson did a great job finishing the Wheel of Time, but obviously I hope GRRM lives long enough to finish. I don't think Sanderson would be the right choice to finish if it came to that. Not sure who would be, honestly. 

I've been reading the books as they were published - I only watched the first season of GoT on HBO because I could tell I would get annoyed about deviations from the books. If GRRM stops writing for whatever reason :unsure: , and there is no hope of getting more books, then I will watch all the shows!

tiPrpwh.png

Since the thread tile is Game of Thrones and not A Song of Ice and Fire I'll stick to the TV show...especially since it's the better one ;)

I really excited for this season because it's the beginning of the final arc. This will be the set up for how it will all shake out. Each season has introduced more of the North and what will come during the "long night." I suspect well get even more of it with Bran.

Can't wait to see how the Nights watch will react to Jon Snow coming back...I just assume he will because of the red priestess. Also that guy from the Brotherhood Without Banners kept coming back. Seemed like a reasonable prelude for a more important character.

Vengeful Sersei has Frank-mountain which means lots-O-blood coming to Kings Landing.

As for Danny I'm feeling this will be the first season we see her start controlling the dragons.

And finally can't wait to see what comes of my main girl Arye. Will she learn the secrets of the multifaceted god or tragically remain blind?

Wheel of Time > A Song of Degeneracy and Nihilism.

George RR Martin only wishes he could be like Robert Jordan.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I'll take Song of Nihilism over yet another "Dark vs Light" generic high fantasy any day of the week ...

Roger Zelazny and his Chronicles of Amber though, now that's a real fantasy author ^^

Ahem, anyway. The first episode of Season 6 was actually pretty good. Here's hoping it continues this way. 

George RR Martin only wishes he could be like Robert Jordan.

Seeing how long it takes him to write he's most likely gonna die before finishing, so his wish may come true.

Hg0LXwa.png

I started reading these things in the mid/late 90s. The writing was excellent. The plot was raw. His formula of creating amazing characters, attaching the reader to the character, then ripping the character to shreds in horrid and spectacular fashion has become a cookbook recipe for all manner of dramatic media. His leverage of right and wrong, dark and light and just humanity has become an extremely popular style too.

Short answer, ya, the guy is slow as molasses, but he's the real deal. Robert Jordan is - in my mind - barely second rate unless you're using raw pages written as your metric.

What do you make of this theory? Never occurred to me before, but I wouldn't put it past GRRM.... 

I like this theory :) Though I'm pretty sure I've seen in one of his interviews that this is not true... But probably he is trolling!

Btw, I liked the s06e01 :) Melissandra... :rolleyes:

Got a PM from someone reminding us that there are lots of fans who haven't had a chance to watch yet. Please be courteous and either use Spoiler tags or, better yet, don't post spoilers. 

tumblr_ljvqzzjXTN1qez3nlo1_400.gif

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community