Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arkade

Game of Thrones

What do you make of this theory? Never occurred to me before, but I wouldn't put it past GRRM.... 

(Book Spoilers)

It's an interesting theory; There's definitely some some basis based on hints dropped about Aerys' relationship with Tywin and his wife when he was Hand.  There's also a history of Targs being born with deformities.

In the end, I like it better if Tyrion really is Tywin's son.  Having him be a Targ would take away a lot of the tragedy to the relationship of Tyrion / Tywin / Jamie - and the events at the end of book 3.  It's more poetic that Tyrion, who actually shares the most with Tywin of all the Lannister children, is the one who he disowns, the one to kill him, and the one to carry on the family name and legacy.  (I don't think Jamie survives the Stoneheart encounter)

Tyrion's aunt said it best:

"Jaime, sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I said so once to your father's face, and he would not speak to me for half a year."

CfWBSig.png

The overall theme of A Song of Ice and Fire appears to be: Go custard yourself. There's no meaning to these tales or this world, they're just happening. There is nothing to be gained or redeemed from reading them save a few lessons in machiavellianism. No good deed goes unpunished, no one really gets ahead, and all the people with worthwhile goals you want to sympathize with are killed eventually. It's a story about nothing, going nowhere. The erotica in the books is often empty of feeling and sometimes, violent. Both sex and violence were taken to such a gratuitous extreme in the books that it was entirely fitting to put it on HBO.

Wheel of Time is up front about the fact that it is set in deterministic universe where the past is the future and the future is the past. Everything in the story has already happened and will happen again. The story then is about "overcoming" one's existential anxiety and fulfilling one's role in the great pattern of time and space. It's about the dissolution of the individual's ego and the acceptance of a higher calling. Anyone who's read past the first book will also be familiar with the constant and pervasive theme of the "battle of the sexes" which is very off-putting to those who are new to the books. Those who stay with the series, however, will find that the novels increasingly suggest that man and women are at their best when work they together, realizing that their many differences compliment each other.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I am glad that the series has pretty much moved beyond where the books left off so now I can get fun little surprises. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

I am glad that the series has pretty much moved beyond where the books left off so now I can get fun little surprises. 

After I finish the novella I'm reading, I may start re-reading the GoT books to prepare myself for when the next book comes out. It's been over 20 years since I read the first one. I need a refresher, especially since the show is deviating from the books.

Same. I mostly like it for the fact that the book only folks don't have any more ammo to add to the 'OMG its not 100% exactly like the books duuur' mantra and we can for the most post enjoy the show in peace.

Same. I mostly like it for the fact that the book only folks don't have any more ammo to add to the 'OMG its not 100% exactly like the books duuur' mantra and we can for the most post enjoy the show in peace.

Book is book.  Show is show. 

Do not cross the streams, and you will enjoy both more!

CfWBSig.png

HIgara is kind of the expert of experts in all things ASoIaF.

That said, I want to see a dwarf riding a dragon.

You may yet, Cool.

"The dragon has three heads" is a prophecy oft repeated - while I don't think Tyrion is a Targ, I *DO* think he will be riding one of them.  (There were previous dragon riders in Westeros who were not Targs) 

IMO, the three heads represent the three dragons and their riders, the figurative "heads" of Danerys' forces against the Others.  Dany, Tyrion, and Jon.  

CfWBSig.png

So did anyone else think that the opening scene with the young Starks especially showing Lyanna was just a bit of foreshadowing perhaps? R + L = J very much in play?

So did anyone else think that the opening scene with the young Starks especially showing Lyanna was just a bit of foreshadowing perhaps? R + L = J very much in play?

DURgqRH.png

Carved in the post next to Jon.

But aside from that, Lyanna has been mentioned far too often and recently to be anything but very meaningful.  There was an episode last season where Littlefinger and Sansa spend a good 5 minutes talking about her.  

If you you really want confirmation, read Ned's first few POV's from Book 1.  It's so glaring once you look for it.

CfWBSig.png

Yeah. Hmmm... Surprises like Melissandre removing her necklace?

BTW it's not the first time we see her without it, but it's the first tie we see her true... form...

Mistake or intended?

With all the storylines they have going I don't see how they can wrap the show up nicely by the end of season 7 but that seems to be what their current plan is. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir