Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Getz

Whats The Best Mmo That You Played?

Probably hit some rage but WoW has been the best for me. Maybe its just cause I've played it for years, but no other MMO had a hold on me for this length of time. Sure I quit a few months after every expo, but I always come back.

UO was awesome on so many levels. I have so many memories from UO because something different was always happening. Just going to the bank was an ordeal. So many thieves and scammers, brings a nostalgic tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Shadowbane is close 2nd... god if that game had a different client it would probably still be going strong today. loved character creation and development, really looking forward to crowfall's system.

If we're talking about MMORPGs, then WoW until cap 70 was the best, many extremely fun hours spent there.

If anything online, Rust's golden age was fantastic.

UO was awesome on so many levels. I have so many memories from UO because something different was always happening. Just going to the bank was an ordeal. So many thieves and scammers, brings a nostalgic tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Shadowbane is close 2nd... god if that game had a different client it would probably still be going strong today. loved character creation and development, really looking forward to crowfall's system.

To me as well. RuneScape also has that effect to me. The nostalgia, the manly sweat from my eye, OH!

Edited by BaSkA

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

Guys, the game doesn't work if you can't read and follow instructions.

I guess the point of liking the post mentioning your favourite game is to get a score. Just posting "Darkfall" for the Nth time doesn't really contribute.

Lets play a game. 

List the best MMO you have played and why.  So, here's the rules. 

-You can only list ONE.  (I know that's tough, but just one)

-If the title has been mentioned you CAN NOT mention it again

-If a title has been mentioned but the "Why" is off, feel free you say why.

-If the title and/or the why are already listed "like" the post

-keep it short and sweet. No TL;DR's

And...Start.

Shadowbane - because accountability and consequences.  If you ticked off the wrong person they could kill you at a minimum, sometimes repeatedly til your gear perma broke.  There was no factions that prevented you from killing anyone else a any time.  But even more that that were sieges.  Someone talks smack about you or yours on the forums or in game...BURN THEM DOWN or simply capture their city for yourself.  

My guild used to look for silly reasons to siege others.  some of the more memorable were asking on /global chat what was the oldest city on the server and the baning it (Whole server turned out to protect DragonScale and their museum bt we took it anyways), we didn't like the colors in their guild crest, we didn't like their guild name and one city was in the way of our guild leaders daily run to get a rune.

CWGtb.jpg

F**k yo rules, wall of text inc.

Best MMO ever is a hard question because a lot of these games were innovative in one way, but completely deficient in others.

I group AC and DF1 together because they had a lot of the same good and bad points. Both had perfect FFA rulesets and a lot of room to grow in the combat system. The problem is both were quickly bogged down in an eternal grind, and their combat systems developed in ways that made mastering glitches as important as mastering real combat skills. This is coming off more negative than I intended, both get major points for concept, and AC’s glitches put the resulting combat WAY ahead of its time. I played both for about 4-6 months, but after the release politics died down, the games themselves weren’t worth continuing.

I group AC2 and DFUW together even though it’s a sloppy comparison. Both had less overall potential, and smaller toolsets for the individual player, but had more interesting fights overall. The volume of advantage from pve wasn’t too steep to scare off the pk’s, and there were far more options in a fight. Where the comparison breaks down is how well this actually worked. AC2 got this right (its variable 100/60/40 meter ranged system wasn’t just ahead of its time, it’s ahead of OUR time), and DFUW didn’t work at all (what’s the damn point of having more playstyles if one of them is objectively and overwhelmingly better? Even DF1 usually had at least 2). Both are games I wouldn’t have touched if I didn’t get browbeat into it by other people, but I ended up playing them for about 1.5 years.

Shadowbane is probably the most innovative and experimental game I’ve ever played. It had a bigger toolset than any other game, and nearly limitless potential for spec groups and counterspecs. It was also the first game where I took the politics seriously (Scorn R30’s fyi). I don't need to go into it since this forum is full of SB talk. The game was a little too slow burn and group-oriented for me, so I didn’t stick around once the release politics died down.

GW2 is newschool all the way, but it belongs on the list. Yeah it was tab target, but the ability to dodge everything in the game made the combat action packed. There was enough room for SB style spec groups to work, and the mechanics provided plenty of ways to beat the zerg. The thing that puts it on the list is the WvW system made GW2 into three months of fantasy matches for all the major guilds in the MMO community.

Overall, I’d give it to AC2 (flame on). The low TTK and the variable ranged system made a 100v100 in AC2 more exciting than in any other game. The groups would draw lines just outside of 40 meter LoS range and a charge was a full committal. 100 meter arc attacks would pick the group apart in a few seconds if everyone didn’t dodge well. Risking instant death to make end-run shock attacks and destroy the entire enemy back line in 3-4 seconds with mage AoE was straight up breasts. Unfortunately I can't find any vids of this, the only ones around are after the runcast nerf, the 400 percent increase in TTK, and the lolhero system that created a DF style eternal grind. AC1 was definitely better for 1v1 and small scale, but AC2’s low TTK was the perfect solution to fighting zergs. It’s a shame that neither game had a steep enough death penalty.

I really hate when people say "DFO" and aren't talking about Dungeon Fighter Online.

Which is my pick.  Fighter meets MMO, not your FPSRPGs or your tab targeting loot piñatas.

Donkey Kong.. Crash Bandicoot oh wait MMO's ummmmmm

Ultima Online will always hold that spot in my heart as my all time favorite

Ultima Online.. hands down. IMO Still pretty far ahead of most MMOs out there just based on all the elements is has, especially vs the countless WoW Clones 

"So Doggetts f****** crazy i know that" - J Todd Coleman

Daoc, but it also popped my cherry into MMO's. It did offer alot of neat and fun things as well.. Battle grounds ( pvp ) from level 1. Task dugeons ( dungeons that was set by level adn amoutn of people inside it ) could be done solo our witha  full group.

RvR, With 24/7 siegable castleS, Realm abiltys it was like leveling your char after 50 by pvping.  Dungeons that was open for pvp, and then lets not forget Darkness falls a dungeon that only opened to your realm by way of pvp.. Relics this gave passive advantages to everone in the realm.

Time sink crafting system, player housing,  it had alot of options if you ask me and then i made some really cool friends that i have gamed with off and on for the last 10+ years.

AoC was the best and worst I ever played.

Cimmeria was great PVP prior to them $$@!%$ it up, and turning it into a gear grind.

UO still has a soft spot, but AoC could have been so much more...