Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Run Speed

rostrax

Rangers are normally an agile class. Being that, there is usually a run speed buff to help the ranger stay at range. Although being able to switch to a melee spec is useful, I feel the ranger should have the option to spec into a kite class. Especially due to the fact that you need to be standing still in order to shoot an arrow. This gives us a distinct disadvantage with mobility.  It seems most classes run faster than the ranger. The confessor has their dash to remain at arms length I feel the ranger either needs a better dodge skill that increases mobility or has the ability to spec into run speed. 

What are your thoughts? Playing a ranger in this game is fun, however I feel the combat is lacking due to the inability to properly disengage and stay at range. Even with the disengage skill I feel it's  a bit too slow/clunky and not quite enough.

(Edit: I may be missing something, but as far as I could see there was no basic run/move speed buff to take in the skills. If there is please let me know)

Edited by rostrax

I would like to see something in the senseof "You limit your charged attacks by moving to a maximum of x %"

Edited by flow

I disagree.

The class design of ranger should require a balanced utilization of both melee and ranged as the situation dictates.

(as I've raised elsewhere I don't think it currently does)

Their current only 'role' / unique archetype feature (especially given that hide isn't in yet) if their fluidity regarding the range with which they can engage a target.

They aren't confessors with a red hair dye.

Even regarding the fact that Forest step > Tendon slice will move to assassin their mobility is still currently good.

Edited by Tinnis

I disagree.

The class design of ranger should require a balanced utilization of both melee and ranged as the situation dictates.

(as I've raised elsewhere I don't think it currently does)

Their current only 'role' / unique archetype feature (especially given that hide isn't in yet) if their fluidity regarding the range with which they can engage a target.

They aren't confessors with a red hair dye.

Even regarding the fact that Forest step > Tendon slice will move to assassin their mobility is still currently good.

Well the fact of the matter is you will still need to switch. Seeing as you need to stand still in order to shoot an arrow, you still need the melee tray and you will still need to switch. My problem with Tendon Slice is my ability to land it. I can never manage to get the range right. Not sure if there's a collision check but from my experience it doesn't work very well if there is. I'm not saying make the ranger into an uber kiting class. I just want to be a bit more viable vs other classes with better mobility.

If I get low on health in cq it's pretty much lay down and die because escape is futile (Even with disengage and using health steal), I can't even gain breathing room most of the time when I have a character focusing me. I at least would like to be able to run away for a few seconds to evaluate my options or set a trap or to turn around and burst DPS. Even if it were on a cooldown or only lasted a second or two. Maybe even increase the distance of the combat roll or make it so you're about to do a double combat roll a bit more fluid. I just feel a little clunky I guess opposed to agile. Maybe it's just me though.

Don't get me wrong, I plan on playing a Stalker when it's released so I definitely don't want this class to be OP. But right now I feel it's lacking a little and this might be what it needs. 

Edited by rostrax

It's a fine balance, right now the melee is also pretty clunky aside from chasing and mashing 1 most high damage combo's require the target to be CC'd. I do agree with Ros that Rangers should be more agile but then I also think every class in the game currently needs to be more agile. The current combat system seems lacking, the sheer amount of stationary abilities ruins the flow of combat, mobile combat forces people to be combative by nature, stationary combat is less risk involved because if it's a melee attacking you, you can basically just run away.

I think the confessor's movement needs to be toned down a bit if they insist on making combat more stationary then movement based. I think the Rangers dodge/roll is pretty pitiful in it's current state.

I guess what I'm saying is yes the Ranger feels clunky and it should be more agile but it is not the only class suffering from this dilemma, I think most classes are currently suffering from the same issue. Combat needs to be fun, imo the stationary approach is not much fun and I can see it getting dull fast.

• 1 month later...

I have to also say fast and agile movement/combat is the route I would go as well. I think skill should be based on tracking hitboxes and aiming while moving and while the opponent is moving. I come from a no longer provided game DFUW. My pvp videos show fast passed ranger combat that's aim based. 

Example of ranger combat that I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSv7XzfC1fs

25hmzbo.png

I have to also say fast and agile movement/combat is the route I would go as well. I think skill should be based on tracking hitboxes and aiming while moving and while the opponent is moving. I come from a no longer provided game DFUW. My pvp videos show fast passed ranger combat that's aim based. 

Example of ranger combat that I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSv7XzfC1fs

your points are valid - but I disagree with the extent.

your clip has strayed way too much into bad fps shooter game territory. everyone is jumping and strafing in circles constantly. would not fit crowfall to turn into a bunny hopping mess.

Edited by Tinnis

The combat needs to be on the fly to where players can position themselves properly without having a TOTAL LACK of damage during the positioning/repositioning process. Channeled abilities that do high damage and etc should slow the character by a big amount though seeing as there would be a trade off of bigger damage for less mobility during a short period of time. The whole ranged vs melee gameplay just looks bad in general because of what you mentioned. Melee player X attacks ranged player Y, player Y is forced to run away until player X stops chasing due to both players having the inability to attack without animations locking them in place which proceeds to create an endless chase.

They really need to find the balance between the abilities that NEED an animation lock and ones that don't. Don't want to end up without any animation lock/slow at all otherwise the MOBA lord guilds like sugoi and etc are gonna murder everyone with kiting and OWalking.

your points are valid - but I disagree with the extent.

your clip has strayed way too much into bad fps shooter game territory. everyone is jumping and strafing in circles constantly. would not fit crowfall to turn into a bunny hopping mess.

Fair enough but from a more intense perspective the faster and more constant movement makes it more enjoyable for me. Stationary charging abilities as a ranger just makes what is suppose to be the most versatile, agile, and mobile class a sitting duck. 

25hmzbo.png

Fair enough but from a more intense perspective the faster and more constant movement makes it more enjoyable for me. Stationary charging abilities as a ranger just makes what is suppose to be the most versatile, agile, and mobile class a sitting duck. 

oh yes they need improvement for sure - just talking extent!

• 4 weeks later...

Rangers are normally an agile class. Being that, there is usually a run speed buff to help the ranger stay at range. Although being able to switch to a melee spec is useful, I feel the ranger should have the option to spec into a kite class. Especially due to the fact that you need to be standing still in order to shoot an arrow. This gives us a distinct disadvantage with mobility.  It seems most classes run faster than the ranger. The confessor has their dash to remain at arms length I feel the ranger either needs a better dodge skill that increases mobility or has the ability to spec into run speed. 

What are your thoughts? Playing a ranger in this game is fun, however I feel the combat is lacking due to the inability to properly disengage and stay at range. Even with the disengage skill I feel it's  a bit too slow/clunky and not quite enough.

(Edit: I may be missing something, but as far as I could see there was no basic run/move speed buff to take in the skills. If there is please let me know)

I don't know everything about the game but consider that there are also runes, skill tree system disciplines and other feutures in which you can custom your character. Whenever we play alpha we're playing with a character that is at a default stage.  I agree with you that archtypes need to move when hitting especially ranger as it doesn't have many options to dissingage.

• 1 month later...

I feel the same, As a ranger mobility should be a thing! You should be able to get some distance from the ficht becouse you need it to propperly play your role (you can't out dps or tank most archetypes, so what els could you do with this class except to try and land some shots from a distance?). And sadly it's not a thing at all... In todays alpha test I noticed that druids are faster because they can teleport, champions have fast movement as default, I saw a knight flying past me as if it was nothing (not sure how/ which skill, have to test that later) and all other arch types seem to be at least as fast as the archer. The best option for mobility I found so far is the dodge rolling, which felt pretty week since you can only do it twice before all your stamina is drained.

Yup, the Assassin is too slow.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Run speed is tricky business, kiting is powerful and, in my opinion, it's not fun to play against if you can't counter because 'you picked the wrong class' (i.e. one that's too slow). Not saying I wouldn't like more mobility, just I don't think it's a decision to take lightly from a design perspective, probably.

Edited by Aguise