Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

When the Trees go dark - Official discussion thread

So are we planting our own trees or are they only in predetermined locations? This doesn't give us anything really to go on. . . I guess flavor text?

*possible spoilers*

I think the hunger is the Greed of discovery itself. The Gods send these immortal Crows to pick these worlds clean in the name of saving it from the "Hunger" but, really the worlds are destroyed by us.

Gaia's blood is the last remnant of her purity and when we kill these trees of life, the life of the world vanishes. We go to a new world, take all of its resources for our cause and then move on to the next world.

This is why the most indifferent Goddess, the one who doesn't participate...is the one that knows the secret of surviving the hunger. The only way to survive destroying yourself is to not be consumed by greed.

I guess that is a different take than SB where the ToLs were grown from the seeds of the world tree after Shadowbane was stabbed into the world tree turning it to stone a sundering the world into fragments. (ToLs were also made a stone)

They were the lore reason for people respawning in SB as well as being the center of the city.

C4sIZDW.gif

Yeah, yeah, I know... It's not the meaty sort of update everyone likes. The truth of the matter is that small updates like this are usually indicative of everyone on the team being eyeballs deep in something very cool, so cool that no one could be pulled away to cobble together something not-as-cool for a web update. 

We've got an interview pending publication and I was hoping I'd be able to share that link today. Still holding out hope that it will drop soon. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

*possible spoilers*

*caugh* ignore that *caugh*

I think the hunger is the Greed of discovery itself. The Gods send these immortal Crows to pick these worlds clean in the name of saving it from the "Hunger" but, really the worlds are destroyed by us.

Gaia's blood is the last remnant of her purity and when we kill these trees of life, the life of the world vanishes. We go to a new world, take all of its resources for our cause and then move on to the next world.

This is why the most indifferent Goddess, the one who doesn't participate...is the one that knows the secret of surviving the hunger. The only way to survive destroying yourself is to not be consumed by greed.

I don't think you need a spoiler warning for this. Fan-theories only need spoiler warnings if they themselves are extrapolating from spoilers.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

It sounds like a lot of the Lore from Shadowbane is being recycled and repackaged for Crowfall, which I love. One of the things I miss most about old SB was the Moorcock-esque world wherein the gods are self serving and malevolent, the elder races are cruel and spiteful, and the younger races are ambitious and ruthless.

This particular passage reminds me of two Lore points from SB:

The mystery surrounding who exactly murdered the High King Cambrium, pinning him to the original Tree of Life and therefore shattering the world and ostensibly killing Braialla (Gaia). Who is responsible is a point of contention, but it doesn't ultimately matter in either Shadowbane or Crowfall...the important thing is that narrative is pushing us to murder each other.

The other similarity is the relationship between the Trees of Life and Oblivion (The Hunger). In the metaphysics of the Shadowbane world, the natural cycle of death and rebirth was disrupted to where the primal force of death itself is being starved of souls. The consequence of the disruption is that legions of mindless undead, lead by sentient manifestations of the will of Oblivion (Vampires) seek to destroy the trees of life in order to feed the Void. It seems as though the Hunger is doing much the same thing.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV