Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

When the Trees go dark - Official discussion thread

So are we planting our own trees or are they only in predetermined locations? This doesn't give us anything really to go on. . . I guess flavor text?

Hopefully blood stones will be TOL seeds, among other uses.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Is there a larger version of the ToL artwork anywhere that we are allowed to use (as a desktop bg)?

Maybe Dave will whip one up for you if you ask *very* nicely. :)

Edited by Hyriol

Oh yeah, I guess Trees of Life become Banewood trees when they "go dark" seems cool, I guess

I'm pretty sure we plant BWT. And like banestones they must be crafted, with plenty of resources going into them.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Well.. This added barely anything to what we already know, and you still try so hard to make her look dead Todd. You simply can't kill a god, no matter how many times you cosplay as an emossassin.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Pann
See PM

Welcome the hunger

Todd is Love, Todd is Life.

Well.. This added barely anything to what we already know, and you still try so hard to make her look dead Todd. You simply can't kill a god, no matter how many times you cosplay as an emossassin.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, 2 pictures we already had and a few lines saying she spawned the tree.

Hopefully this means they are had at work on the game!

MOkvLlm.png

It sounds like a lot of the Lore from Shadowbane is being recycled and repackaged for Crowfall, which I love. One of the things I miss most about old SB was the Moorcock-esque world wherein the gods are self serving and malevolent, the elder races are cruel and spiteful, and the younger races are ambitious and ruthless.

This particular passage reminds me of two Lore points from SB:

The mystery surrounding who exactly murdered the High King Cambrium, pinning him to the original Tree of Life and therefore shattering the world and ostensibly killing Braialla (Gaia). Who is responsible is a point of contention, but it doesn't ultimately matter in either Shadowbane or Crowfall...the important thing is that narrative is pushing us to murder each other.

The other similarity is the relationship between the Trees of Life and Oblivion (The Hunger). In the metaphysics of the Shadowbane world, the natural cycle of death and rebirth was disrupted to where the primal force of death itself is being starved of souls. The consequence of the disruption is that legions of mindless undead, lead by sentient manifestations of the will of Oblivion (Vampires) seek to destroy the trees of life in order to feed the Void. It seems as though the Hunger is doing much the same thing.

Oh geez, I haven't heard about High King Cambrium in over a decade. Wasn't something like that in the Shadowbane strategy guide? I had one til my dog ate it (seriously). 51P6VTNTFPL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oh geez, I haven't heard about High King Cambrium in over a decade. Wasn't something like that in the Shadowbane strategy guide? I had one til my dog ate it (seriously). 51P6VTNTFPL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The SBemu page still has all of the lore on the main page:

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/page.php?d=1&n=Legend

http://http://shadowbaneemulator.com/page.php?d=12&n=Library

C4sIZDW.gif

"The light fades, the warmth falters… and when the Trees go dark, her children will be no more."

"But soon the flames will fade and only Dark will remain." - Dark Souls.

Am I the only one whoe sees a connection...?

"The light fades, the warmth falters… and when the Trees go dark, her children will be no more."

"But soon the flames will fade and only Dark will remain." - Dark Souls.

Am I the only one whoe sees a connection...?

That when there is no light source, it's dark? Never made that connection.

eyeballs deep

I see what you did there...

In other news, I've started noticing this pattern.  The news seems to start drying up and -BAM- something full of awesomeness hits.  Keep up the good work, ACE!

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Interesting lore update. "We use them as a thin shield against the encroaching Hunger, although we know it will not last." So possibly that the Trees of Life will provide a certain protection against the Hunger?

Yeah, yeah, I know... It's not the meaty sort of update everyone likes. The truth of the matter is that small updates like this are usually indicative of everyone on the team being eyeballs deep in something very cool, so cool that no one could be pulled away to cobble together something not-as-cool for a web update. 

We've got an interview pending publication and I was hoping I'd be able to share that link today. Still holding out hope that it will drop soon. 

I think that it's a pretty good idea to revisit some of the information that were shared in the past. I'm sure that many of the current active backers have missed some of the lore or feature updates that were presented about a year ago. And it's nice to know that the team is busy working on something cool.  ^_^

Personally I love updates like this that fill in the lore. More like this, more on the "Mother Church" of the confessors, what are the Elkin and Minotaur like culturally? These are all things I'd love to know. The fact that these trees that sucked up a tiny bit of divinity are what mortals use to survive for  bit is a really cool detail, the Goddess of life is protecting even in death.

Yeah, yeah, I know... It's not the meaty sort of update everyone likes. The truth of the matter is that small updates like this are usually indicative of everyone on the team being eyeballs deep in something very cool, so cool that no one could be pulled away to cobble together something not-as-cool for a web update. 

We've got an interview pending publication and I was hoping I'd be able to share that link today. Still holding out hope that it will drop soon. 

I hope you don't take it as anything close to a reproach here Pann, it's really not intended and i think, even if we are anger for some great news, we know all that the team is working hard to give us the game we would love to play.

And as always you do a remarkable job, so don't worry about how we can be mean sometimes, i don't think (at least for me it's sure) it's to offend anyone.

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

I guess that is a different take than SB where the ToLs were grown from the seeds of the world tree after Shadowbane was stabbed into the world tree turning it to stone a sundering the world into fragments. (ToLs were also made a stone)

They were the lore reason for people respawning in SB as well as being the center of the city.

Shadowbane did it better.  JTodd, just call in that favor with Meridian and get him to help out on your project again.  The lore needs work... a lot of work.

EDIT: Hopefully Meridian isnt already under contract... lore is pretty far down the priority list for capital expenditure.