Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Blair & Koster on social systems - Official discussion thread

Reading this interview I get really excited for Crowfall crafting. So looking forward to hear more about it!

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Leaves more questions then IT answers at this point. Still know next to nothing about crafting system. Considering its the supposed basis for and strategic core component of the campaigns we know very little.

Edited by scree

Glad to hear that they are trying to include resource quality levels.

Concerning the inventory, is it really necessary to story different qualities of the same resources in separate inventory spaces? If there are 10 different grades of iron ore and we can stack iron ore to 100 in our pack, then why can't they all stack together regardless of quality? The Repopulation didn't do a lot of things right, but they did manage to make this work. Their quality system included F, D, C, B and A, and within each of those, 0 through 9, for a total of 50 quality levels per resource. A single stack would be a mix of qualities and the stack would indicate the amount of each quality within the stack.

Maybe you can even include a refining process which can improve the quality of a given resource at the cost of quantity.

Glad to hear that they are trying to include resource quality levels.

Concerning the inventory, is it really necessary to story different qualities of the same resources in separate inventory spaces? If there are 10 different grades of iron ore and we can stack iron ore to 100 in our pack, then why can't they all stack together regardless of quality? The Repopulation didn't do a lot of things right, but they did manage to make this work. Their quality system included F, D, C, B and A, and within each of those, 0 through 9, for a total of 50 quality levels per resource. A single stack would be a mix of qualities and the stack would indicate the amount of each quality within the stack.

Maybe you can even include a refining process which can improve the quality of a given resource at the cost of quantity.

Even though they said they are looking at inventory issues, I think their initial design is made to FORCE you to have inventory issues. Reason being is the caravan system, you can transfer items on mounts but then those mounts are steal able from other player that kill said mount, Having a full pack means you have to risk materials and travel back home.

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

One thing for item stacking is a system like Life is Feudal where you can stack units of mats but in doing so you equalize the quality. This method also works for Crowfall's caravan system loading up a cart but equalizing all the qualities. 

89W57Tu.jpg

One thing for item stacking is a system like Life is Feudal where you can stack units of mats but in doing so you equalize the quality. This method also works for Crowfall's caravan system loading up a cart but equalizing all the qualities. 

Star Wars Galaxies allowed players to blend resources at a crafting station to average out their stats. A mobile version could make sense for Crowfall, and it would introduce an interesting dynamic for considering whether or not marginal increases in quality are worth the inventory slot.

Glad to see them confirm monster taming, I dont know if that had been confirmed before or not but its new info for me!

Makes me a tad giddy too.

edit: The highlights for me:

Systems such as global auction houses, while convenient, crushed any notion of player-run shops and everything that was a subset of the player shops like notoriety (Blair’s Place always has the best armor and stocked vendors) and vendor customization. (Cool! Blair has all demons selling his armor)

Love it.

Animal Husbandry comes to mind, which is those players who enjoy going out and taming NPC’s that can be turned into mounts or used in combat. Some players might also enjoy harvesting resources as their primary activity. Running a shop will probably end up a secondary playstyle to crafting. I’m also speculating that we might see a rise in guild quartermasters, which are players who primarily fill and maintain equipment in a guilds armory for campaigns and sieges.

Love, love it. Especially the animal taming and husbandry. Please let me test this asap. :P

Blair: We will definitely see some vessels aligning to some forms of crafting. It makes sense at least from a lore perspective that Myrmidons (Minotaur) wouldn’t be very good at gem crafting or thrall binding. They might be good at building siege equipment though due to their large size though. That being said, overcoming the base vessel restrictions might be something they could get around via equipping a discipline runestone. We will definitely know more once these systems are in a more playable state.

Cautiously cautious. I'm still a bit worried about vessels and their impact on character building and attachment / immersion. 

One of the things that worries me about Crowfall‘s social systems is the finite campaigns; while they make a lot of sense on the competitive level, I fear that a campaign world ending will sever many of the soft-touch social connections players will have formed in its duration. Do you have any plans for systems to counteract that risk?

Ok, that one is a question because I think I have a better answer. The game will be about your guild. Your nation. The relationships formed in one campaign will almost certainly persist (but will change and shift) from campaign to campaign. I don't think this should be a real concern if the system is developed thoughtfully. I admit my opinion is strongly colored by my experiences in Shadowbane over a decade or so of dozens of server wipes that I consider analogous to campaigns ending. Which is to say:

Raph: I think the core of the game is around guild vs guild, but it’s very important that the solo player have scope to play – even players who are deeply involved with friends, guilds, or other organizations sometimes just don’t have time, or are online when their friends aren’t. So they need to have an outlet. There’s a number of activities ranging from peaceful (crafting stuff, building) to risky (harvesting in dangerous areas, etc.) for the solo player, but they may have to take more care than a group will.

Exactly. /agree

Blair: The biggest challenge we are going to have is the inventory when it comes to implementing quality levels on resources. In SWG, I had many, many houses (at least 40 between all my accounts) and each house was full of backpacks that had different kinds of resources in them. 

Jesus Thomas. Did you ever sleep?

Edited by coolwaters

Not sure how I feel about Archetypes being tied to crafting, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can make the best Guinecean Stone Mason.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Glad to see them confirm monster taming, I dont know if that had been confirmed before or not but its new info for me!

I would love to see social/group aspects in professions like this as well.  

For example, if someone wants to tame a smaller or more domestic creature like a cat or wild goat, you can do it solo.  But something like a small dragon would require a group effort.  For example:

Millie the Tamer gathers four friends to attempt to tame a small yearling dragon.  The order is from another player who wants a dragon for their zoo in their EK and it willing to pay top coin.  Even small dragons require group efforts to capture and tame, since you do not want anyone hurt, especially the dragon.  

Millie has consulted with more experienced tamers and develops a plan which requires coordinated effort.  Once the group has located a candidate of the right size, each task must be done in particular order.  The group scout places special food, which distracts the young dragon for a short but vital period of time.  As the young dragon eats, the group mage approaches and casts a calming spell, which ensures the beast can be approached and handled, also for a short window of time.  Once these two effects are in place, step three must happen immediately - the two "wranglers" each approach a separate wing of the dragon and secure it so it doesn't fly away, which they need a specific taming skill to accomplish.  However doing this starts a countdown where, unless the dragon is tamed immediately, the beast becomes wild again and can even attack.  Knowing this, Millie approaches and, using her special taming skill, makes the attempt to tame.  Success depends on a variety of factors, including her taming skill level, whether she has special taming skills for dragons in particular, the type of dragon, size and age of the dragon, the quality and power of the various taming and magical skills of her helpers, and some pure luck.  

Taming can be a sort of mini-game, and various tamers can acquire specialty skill trees that make them better at taming certain types of animals or serving as "wranglers" "scouts" or "calmers" to other tamers who need a group effort for certain animals.  Having the ability to tame dragons, especially to serve as beasts of burden or even war mounts, could be a very special and valuable skill and you could see a group of friends going into such a business and having a lot of fun along the way.

The idea of SWG-style social and crafting aspects that contribute to the PVP is what really has me excited.  I never played SWG, but everyone talks about it like it was heaven.  I only wish they would also bring back the Dancing profession from SWG, as that sounds like a lot of fun too.

Edited by cemya

Life is Feudal is a terrible game. Maybe the MMO will be better, but that game redefines grind.

Ok, that one is a question because I think I have a better answer. The game will be about your guild. Your nation. The relationships formed in one campaign will almost certainly persist (but will change and shift) from campaign to campaign. I don't think this should be a real concern if the system is developed thoughtfully. I admit my opinion is strongly colored by my experiences in Shadowbane over a decade or so of dozens of server wipes that I consider analogous to campaigns ending. Which is to say:

Your guild is a hard-tie connection. I believe we were talking about weak-tie (or soft-touch) interdependence at that point.

Edited by Isarii