Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Key elements of sieging - Official discussion thread

Primal would like the team to know, from his throne in the Halls of the Banned, that this update looks really good.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Very nice.

The trebuchet is designed to break down the walls from an extreme distance. It has a very long build time so these won’t appear on the battlefield until near mid-battle. This piece of equipment will force the defenders to come out of the keep or sacrifice their walls.

Perfect.

The siege tower is a giant tower that gets filled with players at the vehicle construction point and wheeled to the walls. It is very slow, but it has massive health and strong defenses (so that it can make it to the walls in one piece). It is tall enough that attackers can use it to gain direct access to the defender’s ramparts – if they can make it that far! An early siege tower can allow a strike team of attackers to get access to the keep, and wreak havoc on those trying to man the walls.

This could be amazing or game breaking. I wouldn't give it too many HP or it may vitiate your other siege engines altogether.

My only big worry is that this many (albeit cool as hell) siege engines could minimize direct player combat. I'm sure you guys have thought of that and there are clear ranges, etc. I know the catapults in the game now can have that effect, already.

The engineers are confident that we are ready to hit triple digits in a single siege. It’s right around the corner.

Good to hear! Go Mike!  :)

Keep defenders are getting siege equipment as well! We plan on granting a few new engines to the defenders in Siege Perilous sometime in the next 30 days.

I can't wait!

Our vision is to eventually find a way to attach boiling oil pots (and maybe murder holes) to the walls, allowing defenders to rain fire down on any attackers foolish enough to start too close to the hole (or the wall).

My wish got granted!  :wub: 

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11269-what-kind-of-siege-weapons-or-vehicles-would-you-like-to-see/?p=262032

We’re open to other ideas so if you have suggestions, jump on the forums and let us know what you think!

We already have a thread for that :)http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11269-what-kind-of-siege-weapons-or-vehicles-would-you-like-to-see/

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

The layers of the onion continue to be peeled back, and its glorious! Though the onion must be massive, like bigger than an EK.

Nice job devs, keep it up!

Any info about turn+charge shooting instead of (semi-)ground-targeting?

Are you considering it? Testing? Was there some kind of reason to not have it?

I really liked it in gw2's wvw, the challenge to get a hang of the different angles/distances was fun. The feeling when you can finally shoot the wall from behind a hill and a house as your shots can just barely arc over them... Love it!

And it could provide another important job for scouts, as someone has to help the engineer with feedback. More to the right? More power? It needs cooperation between the scouts and the siege-users!

While I love the the idea of the types of siege engines being used controlling the different strategies employed by both attackers and defenders. I do hope that there are high incentives to use all of the different types and a bit of flexibility in the ways they can be used to allow for much more dynamic battles than what ended up happening in ESO's version of siege warfare. Also, with the talk of specific vessel archetypes having crafting specialties and assuming that would also apply to the crafting and use of siege weapons I am worried about a lack of diversity for team compositions in siege situations. For example: Every siege group having to have at least 5 engineering-focused dwarves per so many people to be a viable force.

Edited by Hed

Those concepts look like Orc design with all the spikes, it would be great if you add more different visual designs for the players to pick from. Not everyone likes the spiky one...

My only big worry is that this many (albeit cool as hell) siege engines could minimize direct player combat. I'm sure you guys have thought of that and there are clear ranges, etc. I know the catapults in the game now can have that effect, already.

This is my only real concern too. That being said, some of this stuff should be pretty fun. The Siege tower is actually a move towards having actual combat in sieges that doesn't directly relate to the vehicles other than allowing attackers to get close.

C4sIZDW.gif

The new catapults look SOoO MUCH COOLER than the current ones. All the new seige stuff looks awesome. As a melee player i love the siege tower!

No plans for ramming down the gates?

What about bombs players could carry up to the wall? (Braxxar on reddit mentioned it)

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

It sounds like ACE intends for defended to actually defend from the walls occasionally.... if so ACE needs to nerf siege engine damage to players who are standing on the walls and potentially design future walls and keeps so that chain pulling defenders off the walls isn't so easy.

Not huge issues to fix, but critical if you ever want to have defenders on the walls.