Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Promotion Idea: The Inquisitor

Dondagora

Short summary of idea: A Confessor that uses lightning spells for electric damage instead of fire. This isn't a fully formed idea, but I wanted to put it out there. Some power ideas:

• Thunderbolt: Long-range electric damage beam which damages all enemies in a line.
  • Chain Lightning: Shoot electric energy at a target. Every stack of Sin a damaged target has equals the amount of "branches" created, chaining the attack to nearby players. Every stack of sin they have also chains, and so on. Damage is halved each "generation" of branch.
  • Heavenly Spear: Call a single AoE lightning bolt from the sky down. Blocked by roofs. Chance to stun enemies.
  • Tempest: Create a fairly large storm centered around the Inquisitor. Randomly generates mini-"Heavenly Spears" within its radius. Inquisitor creates a magical Storm-Caller banner in the storm's eye which can be destroyed. Continually saps Inquisitor's mana. High cool-down, always friendly-fire.

Thoughts on an electric-based promotion for Confessor?

I think a lightning promotion might make more sense for the Druid. Seems more nature than fire.

I feel lightning is closer to fire-magic [Confessor] than nature-magic [Druid].

Inquisitor sounds like someone who would use slow painful things to torture opponents. Perhaps a DoT (burn/drain) based skillset. Health Burn/drain, Mana Burn/drain, Energy / Stamina Burn or Drain. Couple this will utility in the way of offensive CCs like Silence, stun, daze/snare. They would retain their nukes from the confessor base skillset, but get additional DoTs or modify some of the nukes with DoT components.

92nKl2f.png

Inquisitor sounds like someone who would use slow painful things to torture opponents. Perhaps a DoT (burn/drain) based skillset. Health Burn/drain, Mana Burn/drain, Energy / Stamina Burn or Drain. Couple this will utility in the way of offensive CCs like Silence, stun, daze/snare. They would retain their nukes from the confessor base skillset, but get additional DoTs or modify some of the nukes with DoT components.

The name isn't the thing to focus on here...

What you described in the OP is a class which manipulates natural forces and and bends them to his/her will. Will your key skills be any less of a fit for a druid (nature mystic)? How does that skillset relate to the confessor archtype?

Envy. Hatred. Greed. Lust.

Ordinary sin that corrupts the heart of ordinary men… Men no different than you. Men who live in darkness, and hide from Mother Church.

This is my service and my penance: seek out the shadow, expose it to the flame of truth, and drag the sinful back into the Light.

Will you not admit your failings? Your village is aflame. Your family is gone. Your lies benefit no one.

Speak now, brother.

I can make the pain stop.

Tell me of your Sins.

Sounds like the confessor likes torturing people with flame :o Name it Inquisitor / Flame Cleric / Torturer / Hand of God / Potatogun or whatever else, a dot based confessor burning and draining its opponent makes more sense than one shooting lightning bolts :x

As a side note, take a look at http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Confessor and http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Druid

This game has a fair degree of inspiration from Shadowbane. What you described would be right at home under the Druid archetype.

/2cents

PS: Change that lightning damage to Holy damage, and you may have a case!

Edited by Insai

92nKl2f.png

• 4 weeks later...

For something called the Inquisitor, I'd want to see a few abilities about tracking their prey. Pathfinder has a few abilities that completely sell me on their ideal class of Inquisitor, namely the Judgment ability, which they pronounce upon a specific target or targets, and Track. So perhaps flavor this as a blend of what's going to be given to the Ranger, but slightly weaker/different focus. I like the holy fire spell-casting discussed in the rest of this thread though.

MERIDIAN
[TG] The Guardians | Discord: Meridian#7510
Solopreneur of Aqualith Media
(No, not that Meridian.)